X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USAF finally admits to elite agressor units

AF Declassifies Elite Aggressor Program
    Air Force Print News | November 14, 2006

WASHINGTON - After decades of secrecy, Air Force officials acknowledged Nov. 13 that Communist-built fighters were flown at the Tonopah Test Range northwest of Las Vegas, Nev.

From 1977 through 1988, the program, known as Constant Peg, saw Air Force, Navy and Marine aircrews flying against Soviet-designed MiG fighters as part of a training program where American pilots could better learn how to defeat or evade the Communist bloc's fighters of the day.

Rest of article:

http://www.military.com/Content/Prin...2F118919%2Ehtm
    Last edited by Bill; 16 Nov 06,, 09:00.

One thing I always wonder about in regards to the 11th ACR, and now this, how many enemy units are either at the same level or better then our OPFOR units in their element?

Comment

Yes. United States' spies had stole 6 Mig-29 during Soviet union existance. At that time Mig-29s were stealth in the sky so Americans stole them, trains on them and testing their radars on them. All 6 MiGs are located in Area-51, Nevada. Plus USA has 1 MiG-22 and 1 Mi-24H of Soviet Production.
      Наша жизнь как пианино: белая клавиша, черная клавиша и крышка

Comment

Originally posted by FOG3 View Post
        One thing I always wonder about in regards to the 11th ACR, and now this, how many enemy units are either at the same level or better then our OPFOR units in their element?
        The OPFOR at NTC is the most capable Soviet doctrine mechanized force in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruskiy View Post
          Plus USA has 1 MiG-22 and 1 Mi-24H of Soviet Production.
          Mig-22???
          Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
          -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Yes. United States' spies had stole 6 Mig-29 during Soviet union existance. At that time Mig-29s were stealth in the sky so Americans stole them, trains on them and testing their radars on them. All 6 MiGs are located in Area-51, Nevada. Plus USA has 1 MiG-22 and 1 Mi-24H of Soviet Production.
            I knew about the Russian pilot who defected with his MiG-29 in the late 80's, and we bought 21 MiG-29's from Moldova, along with 500+ AAM's in 1997, I think we acquired 2 frames back in 1993, but I never heard about 6 frames stolen from the USSR.

Talented spies!
            "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
              I knew about the Russian pilot who defected with his MiG-29 in the late 80's, and we bought 21 MiG-29's from Moldova, along with 500+ AAM's in 1997, I think we acquired 2 frames back in 1993, but I never heard about 6 frames stolen from the USSR.

Talented spies!
              Yeah and I believe on top of these agressor units the USAF, along with other NATO Air Forces used to train with Luftwaffe Fulcrums until the Germans decided to pack them in.
              And its weird how the USAF kept denying this, I thought it was common knowledge, like it was part of the Red Flag exercises.

Comment

At no time were miG-29's stealth.
                F-4's were capable of outperforming the MiG-29's radar under certain circumstances ... as a matter of fact, I don't think there's a whole lot of secrets that a MiG-29 may have that the USAF does not know about ... and by extension, the flanker (due to the commonality of radar parts and systems)

Comment

Originally posted by GGTharos View Post
                  At no time were miG-29's stealth.
                  F-4's were capable of outperforming the MiG-29's radar under certain circumstances ... as a matter of fact, I don't think there's a whole lot of secrets that a MiG-29 may have that the USAF does not know about ... and by extension, the flanker (due to the commonality of radar parts and systems)
                  Hi GGTharos, there is very little communality.

I actually had feeling that Mig-29 and Flanker share very little components in radar and most of their systems... these were supplied by competing design bureaus. (radar - Phazatron vs NIISP, computers and cockpit - Aviapribor vs Avionica, later Russian Avionics)..... Their cockpits are VERY different!

The lack of communality is actually UNFORTUNATE

Comment

Talented spies!
                    I also never heard of any Mig-29 stolen.... except for one which was given back by Turks right after the pilot defected. Other were bought on sound legal basis....

Comment

Talented spies!
                      Talented indeed! Not only to get out to the flightline unnoticed, but to also find 6 jets in working condition, fuel them up, roll out to the runway and take off before being noticed!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                        Talented indeed! Not only to get out to the flightline unnoticed, but to also find 6 jets in working condition, fuel them up, roll out to the runway and take off before being noticed!
                        In addition to all those refuelings they did en route and not one person caught on!

Man, we need more spies like that, lol.
                        "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

In addition to all those refuelings they did en route and not one person caught on!

Man, we need more spies like that, lol.
                          Yeah! Spies...Like US!

Last edited by Horrido; 18 Nov 06,, 01:57.
                          The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

Originally posted by Garry View Post
                            I also never heard of any Mig-29 stolen.... except for one which was given back by Turks right after the pilot defected.
                            I've got that pilot's book. Very interesting read.

His departure from Soviet space was rather violent and deadly

He was absolutely livid that the Turks handed it back over to the Soviets.
                            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Horrido View Post
                              Yeah! Spies...Like US!
                              Thank you Dan Akyroyd
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                              X