Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman turns in 1,300 guns in cash-for-arms amnesty

Woman turns in 1,300 guns in cash-for-arms amnesty

SAO PAULO, Brazil (AP) -- A woman has turned in nearly 1,300 guns to federal police, responding to a government campaign for citizens to surrender privately held weapons.

The woman had kept the guns at home since her father, an arms collector, died eight years ago, federal policeman Wagner Castilho said Saturday.

Police did not identify the woman, who is expected to receive up to 200,000 reals (U.S. $65,000) for her arsenal turned in Friday. The government is paying Brazilians to surrender their weapons in an effort to reduce the country's murder rate, one of the world's highest.

According to UNESCO, Brazil has 27.1 homicides per 100,000 people -- the fourth-highest in the world. Sixty-eight percent of those killings are committed with firearms.

The government pays up to 300 reals (U.S. $98) for each weapon turned in, depending on the gun's caliber and age.

In Sao Paulo state alone, police have collected more than 3,000 weapons since the program began on July 15, Castilho said.

In Rio de Janeiro state, more than 1,100 firearms have been turned in. But most are old, and some even date back to World War II, police said.

The total for Brazil was not immediately available. But the Rio newspaper O Globo put the number at more than 10,000.

The government hopes to take 80,000 guns from the streets by December 23, when a tough new gun law takes effect.

The new law prohibits the possession of firearms in public and raises the minimum age for gun ownership from 18 to 25. It also requires owners to register their guns with the ministries of defense and justice.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americ....ap/index.html
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

now really, how much crime was prevented taking those 1300 guns? i wonder if this program can truly decreas gun murder, if the only people who are turning them in are people who wouldnt have used them to begin with.
    Whoever is unjust let him be unjust still
    Whoever is righteous let him be righteous still
    Whoever is filthy let him be filthy still
    Listen to the words long written down
    When the man comes around- Johnny Cash

Comment

Originally posted by donnie
      now really, how much crime was prevented taking those 1300 guns? i wonder if this program can truly decreas gun murder, if the only people who are turning them in are people who wouldnt have used them to begin with.
      yup, taking guns away from the people increases murder. This will have an adverse effect.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202
        yup, taking guns away from the people increases murder. This will have an adverse effect.
        really, like criminals are going to hand over thier guns.
        Whoever is unjust let him be unjust still
        Whoever is righteous let him be righteous still
        Whoever is filthy let him be filthy still
        Listen to the words long written down
        When the man comes around- Johnny Cash

Comment

Sounds more like the begining of the creation of a Fascist state rather then a program to decrease crime.

Comment

Sounds more like the begining of the creation of a Fascist state rather then a program to decrease crime.
            Thats stretching it. The government isn't taking the guns away, they are offering to buy them.

Comment

It maybe stretching it, but from what Governments do, I wouldn't dought it if they started taking them by force next when their desired results don't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
                It maybe stretching it, but from what Governments do, I wouldn't dought it if they started taking them by force next when their desired results don't happen.
                As soon as I run out of bullets, they can have mine.
                No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Working...
                X