This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    I don't know which is worst. Daddy, can I borrow the car or Daddy, can I borrow your gun?
    That's easy:

"Daddy, can I borrow the car"

Because, presumably, there might be someone else in the car, and that someone may be a boy
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by antimony View Post
      I bought a somewhat heavily used P229 from a local gun. Picked it up from the FFL today and took her shooting. I am pretty happy

[ATTACH]39465[/ATTACH]
      Very nice. I prefer my guns to have character, especially if it means a discount.
      "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

Comment

• Originally posted by tuna View Post
        Very nice. I prefer my guns to have character, especially if it means a discount.
        I compared it in size to a glock 19 plastic bluegun I have and in weight to my M&P40 + TLR4 .

I really cannot understand all the bitching and whining I read about its size and weight. In a proper holster it seems to be eminently CCW material, even IWB (like in a Crossbreed style hybrid)
        "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• The only time weight is a factor is for pocket or ankle carry. To me anyways.

Comment

• Ankle carry, is one interesting way to carry, one can't cross ones leg without exposing a holster, never mind how embarrassing it can be if one is sprinting and holster fails to do its job! Never mind the duck and cover slow draw.

Comment

• Agreed, surfgun. Just saying it is one time when weight matters.

Comment

• Since I am new to the gun world, I only have a Marlin XT-22, a bolt action .22lr.
                I plan to move to a Marlin model 795 semi-automatic soon. One has to learn the basics before moving higher.

Comment

• Now that the forum is working again, I can brag of my newest acquisition. Ruger LC9s - the striker fired version of Ruger's baby 9mm. I've had it about a month now and absolutely love it! It rides perfect in the pocket of my shorts and pants (sorry ladies, I'm past the skin tight jeans days, I'm in cargo pants and relaxed fit wranglers) and shoots like a dream.
                  I got it in even trade for my old S&W model 60 - which was marginal for pocket carry, but accuracy was terrible. This weighs 2oz less loaded than the model 60 did empty, plus it gives me 8 (7 + 1) rounds of 9mm. You .45 guys can poo-poo the 9mm, but it is still a "real" cartridge - as opposed to stepping down to, say .32ACP.
                  I've an IWB on order, so I'll discuss that later - but for summer carry the pocket is my preferred carry location. I don't know if I'll even change out to a "winter" gun once the temperature falls to human levels - I may just stick with this as my all around carry.
                  Pictures to follow.

Comment

• I originally got a 9mm CZ compact intending to be my daily carry, but ended up downsizing to the Ruger LCP instead. I've often wondered if the LC9 could strike the happy medium of being small enough to ride in the pocket of Khakis but pack something heavier than a .380.

Do you think the LC9 requires "loose" pants to ride in the pocket or would it work for business attire?

Comment

• I'd say the LC9 is the happy medium. I pocket carry in dress pants for church, and don't have an issue printing. It is also light enough to not cause too much sag.
                      I had a BG380 for this role, and got rid of it as it was too unreliable. Not to mention dealing with customer disservice at S&W was a nightmare.
                      If you go LC9, you'll have the perfect wardrobe. CZ for what I call "comfortable weather" when you can wear decent weight clothing, the LC9 for hot weather and light clothing, and your LCP for when you can't carry a gun (for that role I carry a Davis/Cobra hybrid .22Mag derringer).

Comment

• Originally posted by Vargas View Post
                        Since I am new to the gun world, I only have a Marlin XT-22, a bolt action .22lr.
                        I plan to move to a Marlin model 795 semi-automatic soon. One has to learn the basics before moving higher.
                        You might consider any of the Ruger 10/22 models. Relatively inexpensive and hassle free.

Comment

• If I may add the 10/22 takedown model is very handy.

Comment

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                            If I may add the 10/22 takedown model is very handy.
                            My son's 10/22 at about $110 started out looking like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ruger1.png
Views:	2
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1463507

It now looks like this:

Name:	full-1003-26395-10.22.jpg
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	1463508

With 25 or more .22LR hollow points, in the right hands and close in, it becomes something more than a toy you plink cans with.

Comment

• Here is another fancy way to pimp out ones 10/22, to turn it into a clone of an FN 5.7mm carbine.
                              http://www.hightowerarmory.com/Produ...ode=HTA9022ODG

Comment

• And with the 10/22 (actually, any mag fed semi .22 - 10/22 is just the most popular), the first thing to do is get a handful of mags (five at least), a brick of ammo or two and find a local Appleseed meeting. Awesome learning experience.

Name:	IMG_20150713_094840070.jpg
Size:	489.0 KB
ID:	1463509

Pic of my LC9s. Just got a DeSantis "Sof-Tuck" IWB holster and it just plain old disappears. Very nice carry piece.

Comment

Working...
                                X