Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi there! My first post here, and I thought I'd display some of my firearms for a good start (Pistols first).

Glock 22 (.40SW). My very first firearm. Didn't like the spongy Safe-Action trigger, the grip ergonomics or the snappy recoil and the fact that it caused my shooting hand some pain after extended range sessions, but I appreciated the 15-round magazines, reasonable accuracy, simplicity of operation/maintainence, durability and great reliability of this weapon. I sold earlier this year, however. (and I miss it quite a bit.)

Walther P22 (.22LR). My first .22LR pistol. Decent enough trigger, nice grip feel and overall ergonomics, easy to take care of, very light recoil (duh), and came with 3.4" and 5" barrels. However, with either barrel, it's not too accurate, and it's VERY picky about ammo.

Bulgarian Arsenal Makarov (9x18 Makarov) My first DA/SA pistol. Didn't like it at first; It had a long and fairly heavy DA pull, but the single action was very sweet. But, for such a relatively small caliber, it was fairly snappy, and actually caused quite a bit of pain to my shooting hand. So, I swapped out the recoil spring for a stiffer one, and replaced the plastic grip with a Pearce rubber grip, and it was like a new gun. The gun was now painless to shoot. Moreover, I've found it to be extremely accurate and very reliable. Only thing I don't like about it now are the small sights.

From left to right - CZ 85 (Pre-B model from 1987), CZ 75 SP-01, CZ 75 P-01, CZ 2075 RAMI, all chambered in 9mm Parabellum. As you can see, I'm quite fond of the Czech manufacturer's products. My favorite in terms of looks and trigger feel is my CZ 85. I just bought my SP-01 very recently, but in the time I've used it at the range I've found it to be superbly accurate. My P-01 is perhaps my favorite all-around handgun in my collection. IMO it balances accuracy, reliability, size and capacity perfectly. And finally, my RAMI. Despite it's small size, it's very accurate, has little recoil and carrying it concealed for long stretches of time is no problem at all.

Springfield Armory 1911A1 Mil-Spec Stainless (.45 ACP). As my firearms collection was growing, one day it dawned to me that there was no 1911 in it, so I decided to rectify that and ordered the gun you see here. When I went to the range to fire it the first time, I was a bit apprehensive, as I've heard many stories of how the .45 was an extremely hard-kicking an painful round to shoot. To my surprise, I found the gun to actually be relatively mild in terms of recoil, IMO considerably less than my Glock 22 in .40SW. I also found the gun to jam occasionally at first. But with a little break-in time, and switching to high-quality aftermarket mags, it is very reliable now, and very accurate.

Smith & Wesson 686 Plus 6" barrel (.38 Special & .357 Magnum). After getting my 1911, I decided I wanted a revolver to add to my collection, and ordered the gun seen above. I also wanted something a bit different from your standard 6-shooter, so I ordered mine with a 7-shot cylinder (hence the Plus). Firing .38s out of it produces almost no recoil, almost like a .22, and firing .357 Magnum rounds out of it, while loud and producing a lot of flash, are actually not very painful at all and quite fun IMO (and quite expensive compared to .38s ). It's proved to be exceptionally accurate with the 6" barrel, and the single-action the trigger pull is very light and crisp.

Smith & Wesson Military & Police (.40SW)
    I've heard a lot about S&W's newest semi-auto a few months ago, and decided to go my usual gun store and try one out. The grip ergonomics were far and away superior to my Glock, the sights were a considerable improvement, and the trigger, though DAO, was surprisingly smooth and light, and didn't have the mushiness of the Glock's trigger. Suffice it to say, I sold my Glock to a friend at work the next day, and later came home with my new M&P. After the requisite field-stripping and cleaning, I took it to the range and was even more impressed with the gun. I found that I could not only shoot the M&P more accurately than the Glock, but a good deal of the snappy recoil was gone, there was no pain in my shooting hand after long sessions, and I could reaquire targets for follow-up shots much quicker with the M&P than I ever could with the Glock. The only drawback to the gun IMO is the impossible to use the slide release after reloading (in order to chamber a round after a reload, you must tug the slide back). Fortunately, S&W has already produced a larger slide release, and I've ordered one for my M&P.

High Standard H-D Military (.22LR). My first 'antique' gun (made in 1947), I originally bought this weapon as a christmas gift for my dad, but thanks to my mom and her strong dislike of firearms, he had to give it back to me. It's been over a year since I've bought it, and I'm still debating on whether I should fire it or just keep it locked away in the safe.

Comment

• Onto rifles/shotguns:

Charter Arms AR-7 Explorer (.22LR). Got this as a Christmas gift from one of my uncles a few years back. It's fairly accurate and reliable, but the reason I like it is for its portability. When you're done using it, you can tuck the reciever, barrel and magazine into the stock, making it easy to store.

Mossberg 590 pump-action shotgun (12 gauge). Bought this as my primary deterrent/defensive weapon in the home against uninvited guests. It's proven...interesting to fire. First time I fired it I found the recoil to be quite strong, but controllable. Didn't experience much pain, but the day after firing it I noticed my right shoulder had turned into a nice shade of purple and red.

Bulgarian Arsenal SLR-101SB (7.62x39). As I've always had a fondness for military rifles since a small child, I decided to buy this weapon last year. Although somewhat more expensive than the most of the other AK clones, I've found the SLR to be very well made, surprisingly accurate, and 100% reliable.

Crvena Zastava M48 Mauser (7.92x57). I recently bought this Yugoslav Mauser for just over $100 and found it in excellent condition for the price (aside from the fact that it seemed like it was submerged in cosmoline for about as long as I've been alive), I have yet to fire this weapon as I'm still struggling to get all the cosmoline out!

Comment

• Nice Collection dontmatr.

Your AK is especially interesting to me with its late model plastic hardware and machined reciever. I've not seen one like that before. Does it have a scope mount on the left side of the reciever ?

That High Standard is also quite nice. I encourage you to shoot it often.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnekgun
          Nice Collection dontmatr.

Your AK is especially interesting to me with its late model plastic hardware and machined reciever. I've not seen one like that before. Does it have a scope mount on the left side of the reciever ?

That High Standard is also quite nice. I encourage you to shoot it often.
          Yes, it indeed does have a scope mount on the left side as you have described.

As for the H-S, yeah, I'll probably fire a few rounds out of it later this month or next....

Comment

• Owned:

2 Glock Model 22 .40 automatics
            1 S&W Model 60 .357 revolver
            1 Winchester Model 74 .22 semi-auto
            1 Ruger Model 1 .30-06 falling block single shot
            1 Savage Model 110 .30-06 bolt action
            2 Savage 20ga break action shotguns (model unknown, they're at my mom's)

Issued by department:

1 Glock Model 37 .45GAP automatic
            1 Remington Model 870 12ga shotgun
            1 Remington Model 700 Light Tactical Rifle .308 bolt action

I've coveted a muzzle loader for years but it's one of those things that I've never gotten around to.

Comment

• Quick question. Does anybody know when Mauser K98s started having grooves cut into the front sight base allowing the hood to be installed?
              "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

• Taurus .38 Ultralight
                Taurus .357
                Davis Industries P-380
                Herter's .22 Single Action revolver
                Browning Buckmark
                Ruger 10/22
                Henry Lever Action .22
                Yugoslavian 24/47
                Schmidt-Rubin K-31
                Mosin-Nagant 91-30 w/ bayonet
                Mosin-Nagant M-44
                Mosin-Nagant M-38
                Yugoslavian SKS
                WASR-10
                CETME
                Mossberg 500
                Winchester 1894
                Remington .30-06
                Sig Sauer P-220 (.45 ACP)

Comment

• Wish I had a Glock.....

Comment

• I wish I had a couple more Sigs.

Comment

• sks 7.62-39
                      ruger p94 9 mm
                      marlin 880ss .22lr
                      marlin 1894 44mag
                      gamo hunter220 .17
                      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by KPR View Post
                        I wish I had a couple more Sigs.
                        Me too.

But stay away from the Sig Pro series. I don't like them at all.
                        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• I lust after P-229 in .40 S&W because it can also shoot .357 Sig with a barrel change.

Comment

• My humble collection

.22lfb Hamerli exesse (sport)
                            9mm FN HP (sport)
                            Glock 17 (sport)
                            .38 sp. Colt Detective special (Hunting)
                            .357 mag. Colt Python (sport)

12/70 O/U Sauer Franchi Shotgun (Hunting)
                            12/76 Mossberg 500 (Hunting)
                            .22lfb Ruger 10/22 (sport)
                            .222 Rem. BRNO Fox (Hunting)
                            .223 Rem AR15 (sport)
                            .308 Win. FR8 (sport)
                            .308 Win. Sauer 90 (Hunting)
                            8x57 IS Mauser K98 (Hunting)

Thing's that I'd like to buy,

AK, SKS, M4, 1911A1 etc etc

Toe
                            Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

• Not a single one
                              sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

• Originally posted by toemag View Post
                                .22lfb Hamerli exesse (sport)
                                9mm FN HP (sport)
                                Glock 17 (sport)
                                .38 sp. Colt Detective special (Hunting)
                                .357 mag. Colt Python (sport)

12/70 O/U Sauer Franchi Shotgun (Hunting)
                                12/76 Mossberg 500 (Hunting)
                                .22lfb Ruger 10/22 (sport)
                                .222 Rem. BRNO Fox (Hunting)
                                .223 Rem AR15 (sport)
                                .308 Win. FR8 (sport)
                                .308 Win. Sauer 90 (Hunting)
                                8x57 IS Mauser K98 (Hunting)

Thing's that I'd like to buy,

AK, SKS, M4, 1911A1 etc etc

Toe

Have you customized your Mauser?
                                "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Working...
                                X