Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Taleban law' passed in Pakistan

The NWFP is governed by an alliance of religious parties
    Pakistan's North West Frontier Province (NWFP) has passed a bill setting up a Taleban-style department under a cleric to enforce Islamic morality.
    It gives the new department the power to use the police and media for the promotion of Islamic values.

The NWFP is governed by an alliance of religious parties, the MMA, that is sympathetic to the Taleban.

It has already introduced measures such as the banning of music on public transport.

The BBC's Syed Shoaib Hassan in Karachi says the wording of the bill has been deliberately left vague and therefore open to different interpretations.

Critics say this leaves it open to misuse by politicians in the future.

Opposition MPs wore black armbands and staged a walkout from the assembly, saying their proposed changes to the law had been ignored.

The move comes only days before the federal assembly is due to debate moves to water down Islamic laws on divorce that have been denounced by women's groups.

The Hisba (Accountability) bill was passed in the NWFP assembly by a majority of 66 to 30.

'Important step'

Last year, the province's governor refused to sign a similar bill into effect, and the Supreme Court declared aspects of the proposed law unconstitutional.

Under the constitution, the provincial governor is obliged to agree to the latest version, as he is only allowed to veto a bill once.

Some of the provisions in the 2005 bill that the Supreme Court criticised have been dropped.

The department will not now have its own police force. It will, however, be able to requisition police "to promote virtue and prevent vice".

In other concessions, the power to cap spending on weddings or to enforce an Islamic dress code in public has been removed.

The legislation also allows the department to tackle issues like honour killings of women, child labour and ensuring the rights of minority religious groups.

"We had promised an Islamic system to the nation and approval of the Hisba bill is an important step in that direction," NWFP Chief Minister Akram Khan Durrani was quoted as saying by the Associated Press news agency.

Correspondents say that it remains to be seen which areas of its remit the department will choose to focus on.

Last year, President Pervez Musharraf denounced the original bill as a breach of fundamental human rights.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6143754.stm

I could not believe this. Why would anyone in their sane minds want a taliban type administration. What value does it add? How does it make their lives better? Why waste precious energy on all this, instead of looking to make better lives for themselves? Will Pakistan become the new Afghanistan? I'm very sorry for these people.

Taliban needs a replacement for Afghanistan; Pakistan needs the Taliban; so they are giving them the replacement base...
    Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
    -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

This goes on to show how much administrative control Government has over these areas. NWFP, Baluchistan are linked to Pakistan only by the map. Everybody knows where their allegience lies. They are ethenically more alligned to Afghanistan than Punjabi establishment of Pakistan. Till the time Pak had its puppet Taleban in control of Afghanistan situation stayed normal in these areas. Now, this WoT is the unmaking of whole Pak. The more there is friction between Afghanistan & Pak, more these areas become vulnerable.
      If at first you don't succeed, call it v1.0!

Comment

Pakistan desparately needs to decide whether it wants to be part of the Civilized world. <shrug> I guess they're deciding.

As far as relations with the Civilized World are concerned, there will probably be no repercussions whatsoever, at least in the short to mid term.
        - Dennis
        --
        Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.
        -Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Are they deprived of morality to have morality enforced by a special law beyond the normal law that caters for the issue too?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

With their own Judiciary, Parliament etc, the NWFP can no longer be regarded as part of Pakistan. They are their own country, and it looks as though Baluchistan may go the same way. I wonder what the Chinese would think of that?
            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

As I said earlier, Islamic history indicates that only a ruler with an iron fist alone can rule in an Islamic kingdom/ country.

Each Moslem possibly thinks he is a Kingdom by himself!

Nothing unusual.

Only their Allah is the Supreme and damn everyone else that is what the scripture indicates, technically speaking!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by parihaka View Post
                With their own Judiciary, Parliament etc, the NWFP can no longer be regarded as part of Pakistan. They are their own country, and it looks as though Baluchistan may go the same way. I wonder what the Chinese would think of that?
                AHAHHA , what a goof ball you are , all provincess of Pakistan have their own provincial asseblies not from now from a long time , all provinces have their own courts these all operate independantly but come under the supreme court. To contned in any of these assemblies you have to be a Pakistani citizen , meaning you have to be registerd with Nadra and in posession of a national ID card. How can you be Pakistani citizen and not be part of Pakistan . Here is from the judicature chapter 1 of Pakistan's supreme court

Pakistan's supreme court

Part VII

The Judicature

Chapter 1-The Court

(1) There shall be a Supreme Court of Pakistan, a High Court for each Province and such other Courts as may be established by law.

(2) No Court shall have any jurisdiction save as is or may be conferred on it by the Constitution or by or under any law.

(3) The Judiciary shall be separated progressively from the Executive within [fourteen] years from the commencing day.
                Establishment and Jurisdiction of Courts

it is in the absloute jurisdiction of the Provicial Assembly of NWFP to pass this law. Pakistan is an Islaimc country and we want Islamic Laws to be implemented in our country. Musharraf plays out to a ver small segment of Pakistan ( mostly ex-pakistanis ) living in America. He is not a democratically elected person hence does not represent what 140+ million muslims of Pakistan want.

You indian commodes ( ) keep pulling stuff from your behind , laughabale to see hanods commenting on Pakistan with so much authority HAHA lol

Evey day you pull out so much from your rears must be having a huge capacity from the ceturies of hammering that hanods have been taking from just about any one who came to the continent of dinia. ( yes thats continent of Dinia )

Comment

Originally posted by Green_Man View Post
                  AHAHHA , what a goof ball you are , all provincess of Pakistan have their own provincial asseblies not from now from a long time , all provinces have their own courts these all operate independantly but come under the supreme court. To contned in any of these assemblies you have to be a Pakistani citizen , meaning you have to be registerd with Nadra and in posession of a national ID card. How can you be Pakistani citizen and not be part of Pakistan . Here is from the judicature chapter 1 of Pakistan's supreme court

Pakistan's supreme court

Part VII

The Judicature

Chapter 1-The Court

(1) There shall be a Supreme Court of Pakistan, a High Court for each Province and such other Courts as may be established by law.

(2) No Court shall have any jurisdiction save as is or may be conferred on it by the Constitution or by or under any law.

(3) The Judiciary shall be separated progressively from the Executive within [fourteen] years from the commencing day.
                  Establishment and Jurisdiction of Courts

it is in the absloute jurisdiction of the Provicial Assembly of NWFP to pass this law. Pakistan is an Islaimc country and we want Islamic Laws to be implemented in our country. Musharraf plays out to a ver small segment of Pakistan ( mostly ex-pakistanis ) living in America. He is not a democratically elected person hence does not represent what 140+ million muslims of Pakistan want.

You indian commodes ( ) keep pulling stuff from your behind , laughabale to see hanods commenting on Pakistan with so much authority HAHA lol

Evey day you pull out so much from your rears must be having a huge capacity from the ceturies of hammering that hanods have been taking from just about any one who came to the continent of dinia. ( yes thats continent of Dinia )
                  Ah my dear boy, you really need to do more reading, starting with my location
                  Secondly, how can a province in parts of which Pakistan has withdrawn it's military presence, which has military forces that engaged in warfare with the Pakistan Army when they were there, and which passes whichever laws it likes irrespective of the Pakistani legislature who have decreed those laws to be illegal, be regarded as a part of Pakistan?
                  Or should I read what you seem to be suggesting that the NWFP is the true Pakistan, and Musharraf, the armed forces and the State Legislature aren't?

Finally I'd just like to offer a gentle reminder that referring to an ethnic/cultural group in a derogatory manner such as "Indian commodes" is much frowned on by the moderators and owners of this board.
                  http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/showthread.php?t=2232

Leibniz

Comment

Musharraf plays out to a ver small segment of Pakistan ( mostly ex-pakistanis ) living in America. He is not a democratically elected person hence does not represent what 140+ million muslims of Pakistan want.
                    Yeah... thats true... sadly, he's the best the Pakistanis have to offer to play against terrorism, even if he does have double standards...

Thats not even offensive coming from somebody of your ilk..... popping up failed states, religion which hasn't really achieved much except spread hatred and violence around the world, being an object of annoyance to the world... I can understand why you and your ilk are frustrated....

but why take it out on poor Ronald McDonald...

or is he an evil Kaffir too???
                    Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                    -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Ah my dear boy, you really need to do more reading, starting with my location
                      Secondly, how can a province in parts of which Pakistan has withdrawn it's military presence, which has military forces that engaged in warfare with the Pakistan Army when they were there, and which passes whichever laws it likes irrespective of the Pakistani legislature who have decreed those laws to be illegal, be regarded as a part of Pakistan?
                      Or should I read what you seem to be suggesting that the NWFP is the true Pakistan, and Musharraf, the armed forces and the State Legislature aren't?

Finally I'd just like to offer a gentle reminder that referring to an ethnic/cultural group in a derogatory manner such as "Indian commodes" is much frowned on by the moderators and owners of this board.
                      http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/showthread.php?t=2232
                      Oh I see you are ex-British convict

Dear Man or Woman from down under who say Pakistan army has 'withdrawn' from Wana , my father my brother a lot many of my uncles have all served or are serving in the Army and there has been no wihtdrwal , things have be brought back to normal as they were before. There was a growing public discontent as well as discontent in the Army with the perception that the Army is operating agansit its own people ( where as this was not the case , the Army moved in for its own objectives ) so things had to be normailzed with the announced wihtdrwal.

I persoanlly know Army officers who are still posted there , the locals in FATA have always carried weapons , some trouble was created by crack down on militants from central asia as they are not part of that area.

We are not going to allow for anyone to operate in our territory , had Pakistan Army not moved in it , we would have been caught off gaurd if there was any advance from the Afghan side and the locals there certanily arnt that we'll equiped to denfend any attack from the Afghan side by
                      foreign troops stationed there , nietiher is the Khasadar force niether the Frontier Constabulary. Previously the security of that area was done with a mix of Khasadar force and the Frontier Constabulary and the Army had minimal presence as that border was relatively secure but as the situation in Afganistan has changed Pakistan Army has had to deploy there which got a lot of attention in the media for all the wrong reasons

Taliban are our buddies no apologies there no secrests there , and yes part of the plan is also to monitors what foreign forces are up to on the Afghan side and keep them on their toes too. We trust you about just as much as you trust us ;)

Musharaf the man is nothing , the Amry follows him ( even though they are pretty sick of him now ) since he is Chief of Staff of Pakistan Army , not Msuarraf the man , let him take his uniform off and see what happens to him. It'll be good riddance to bad rubbish once he is gone , if you like we'll send him down under like they used to send british convicts in the old times

Comment

Oh I see you are ex-British convict
                        Close but no cigar I'm afraid

Dear Man or Woman from down under who say Pakistan army has 'withdrawn' from Wana , my father my brother a lot many of my uncles have all served or are serving in the Army and there has been no wihtdrwal , things have be brought back to normal as they were before. There was a growing public discontent as well as discontent in the Army with the perception that the Army is operating agansit its own people ( where as this was not the case , the Army moved in for its own objectives ) so things had to be normailzed with the announced wihtdrwal.

I persoanlly know Army officers who are still posted there , the locals in FATA have always carried weapons , some trouble was created by crack down on militants from central asia as they are not part of that area.

We are not going to allow for anyone to operate in our territory , had Pakistan Army not moved in it , we would have been caught off gaurd if there was any advance from the Afghan side and the locals there certanily arnt that we'll equiped to denfend any attack from the Afghan side by
                        foreign troops stationed there , nietiher is the Khasadar force niether the Frontier Constabulary. Previously the security of that area was done with a mix of Khasadar force and the Frontier Constabulary and the Army had minimal presence as that border was relatively secure but as the situation in Afganistan has changed Pakistan Army has had to deploy there which got a lot of attention in the media for all the wrong reasons

Taliban are our buddies no apologies there no secrests there , and yes part of the plan is also to monitors what foreign forces are up to on the Afghan side and keep them on their toes too. We trust you about just as much as you trust us ;)

Musharaf the man is nothing , the Amry follows him ( even though they are pretty sick of him now ) since he is Chief of Staff of Pakistan Army , not Msuarraf the man , let him take his uniform off and see what happens to him. It'll be good riddance to bad rubbish once he is gone , if you like we'll send him down under like they used to send british convicts in the old times
                        From all this I fail to see why you'd object to my original statement that the NWFP was no longer a part of Pakistan. The sense of independence you portray from the central Govt. of Pakistan, as defined by Musharraf, would tend to reinforce my opinion.
                        As regards your trust of us, you are quite right. You are a small but temporarily significant player in the great game, and you're continued support for and reinforcement of the Taliban is a direct threat to the western forces in Afghanistan.
                        Like it or not Afghanistan is of great strategic importance to the west and you are directly aligning yourself against them.
                        As for Musharraf, both America and China view a military rule of rump Pakistan as vastly preferable to an Islamic/Taliban one, so good luck with that.

Leibniz

Comment

Close but no cigar I'm afraid

From all this I fail to see why you'd object to my original statement that the NWFP was no longer a part of Pakistan. The sense of independence you portray from the central Govt. of Pakistan, as defined by Musharraf, would tend to reinforce my opinion.
                          As regards your trust of us, you are quite right. You are a small but temporarily significant player in the great game, and you're continued support for and reinforcement of the Taliban is a direct threat to the western forces in Afghanistan.
                          Like it or not Afghanistan is of great strategic importance to the west and you are directly aligning yourself against them.
                          As for Musharraf, both America and China view a military rule of rump Pakistan as vastly preferable to an Islamic/Taliban one, so good luck with that.

LOL man from down under you have no idea what you are talking about

You got to be out of you mind to say 'NWFP is no longer part of Pakistan'

Do you know what kind of presence Pakistan has there , let me just name a few

Chirat : Home of Pakistan Army's Special Services Group SSG
                          Peshawar : Home to one of PAF's largest Airbase ( a lot of Soviet planes were shot down by PAF planes stationed here during the cold war )
                          Naushara : Home of the Army's School of Armour
                          Mardan : Home of Panjab Regiement
                          Topi : Home to Ghulam Ishhak Khan Institute of Technology , one of Pakistan's premier institute of Technology
                          Kamara : Pakistan Airforce's Aeronautical Complex , where Insha Allah we'll be maufacturing our first fighter jet.

You dont expcect such areas to be NOT part of Pakistan do you haha funny man

If you STLL bellieve in your world some where down there that NWFP is not part of Pakistan then I'll let you beleive that.

FATA was govenred like I mentioned in my post and it'll continue to be gonverned like this with a mix of FC and Khasadar Force , Khasadar focre is made up of locals and the FC is a paramilitary force where the soldiers are recruited from the local areas but officers are posted from the Army.
                          They are very fine people, make great food with meat only I have had at Pak-Afghan border. Every time I go to Peshwar I have it , it my country , our People , in remote FATA areas they have their traditions and culture which make up a huge part of Pakistan and we are not going to alientate them by forceing change. They were a part of Pakistan like this when we came into being in 1947 and they'll continue to be part of us.

Reagrding trouble with China , HAHHAHA dont count on that even if we implement Shariat in Pakistan we are still best of buddies with COMMUNIST China ( yes COMMUNIST China ) thats the way it is dont let that bother you too much. Long live Chairman Mao ;)

About the 'West' ( which west by the way , I know Jhon Howard is always willing to take his trouser off for the US but thats not the case with say countries like France , they are more independant ) so we'll see how things go , You make trouble in our country we'll pay you back in the same coin , so you can expect something or the other to happen every now and then.

Just the other day I heard the British commader in Afghanistan saying , ' Taliban dont let our soldiers sleep' AHAHAHAHAH , they came to Afganistan to catch up on sleep that was really funny

Comment

LOL, well I will admit I am rather confused.
                            You don't like Musharraf or his administration and want him removed: the Pakistan army has been driven from Waziristan: the Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal just passed the hisbah bill into law despite the Pakistan Supreme Court declaring it illegal: you are by your own admission conducting military raids into Afghanistan (again in spite the Musharraf administrations policy) and both the Pakistan Army and if rumour be true the Americans, are bombing your training schools. Have I got that right? Yet you claim to be a part of a Pakistan which is an ally of the west in the war on terror? I don't thing so.
                            Oh, and of course you'll be best of buddies with the PRC until the very moment that your desires conflict with theirs, or as other posters have put it, China will fight India to the last drop of Pakistani blood.

Leibniz

Comment

Here's a little more of what happens to Islamic society when it runs at cross purposes to the PRC

Chinese Human Rights Violations in East Turkestan

In light of September 11th, things have only become more difficult. America has cooperated with China, in the "War on Terrorism," by freezing the assets of Uighur resistance movements, most of whom have nothing to do with terrorism. Further, with the world's attention drawn to Iraq and previously to Afghanistan, China has been freer to do what it wants without a spotlight, however feeble its shine. Prior to 9/11, the Uighur were already suffering an occupation that was perhaps among the worst, if not the worst, in the Ummah. Now, as difficult as it seems to imagine, things are surely worse. I have listed below only several of China's most severe violations of human rights and dignity, to give the reader a taste of the darkness blanketing East Turkestan.

• As of 1996, the Chinese government has detonated forty-four nuclear devices in East Turkestan, using the country as an experiment in permanent radioactive pollution. In other words, it is a policy of rendering huge regions of an occupied territory uninhabitable. The result has been a sickeningly high incidence of cancer among Uighur; Uighur children also have a disturbing occurrence of debilitating birth defects.

• As mentioned, China imports ethnic Chinese settlers to drown out the local population. In 1949, when it lost its independence, East Turkestan was 93% Muslim; today, it is only 50% Muslim. To ensure their plan succeeds beyond settlement colonialism (a la Israel), the Chinese government forces a number of Muslim families to practice abortions.

• As part of their drive to destroy Uighur culture, the Chinese have attempted to switch Uighur to the Latin script. However, the Uighur have refused, sticking to their Arabic-based script, thus making them the only Turkic people still using this alphabet. As a result of such resistance, Uighur are denied access to education, such that their illiteracy rate is now a disastrous seventy percent. Considering the high number of Chinese settlers, competition for jobs is ever more fierce by the year, and Uighur, who are already heavily discriminated against and unlikely to get any jobs, have even less chance with their diminished technical and literary skills.

• Uighur can be jailed for refusing to eat during daylight hours in Ramadan, part of an orchestrated campaign to oust from the Uighur their identity and values. This policy was instituted only a few years ago - and few Muslim countries paid any attention.

• There has even been an attempt at creating a Communist Islam: China demands that Uighur mosques display pictures of Communist leaders, while Imams must speak favorably of atheist Communism in their sermons!

• However, the Communization of Islam has certainly failed to some degree, as evinced by China's attempt to simply destroy Islam outright: More than 29,000 mosques have been shut down or destroyed; some are even converted into pig farms.

• Imams are regularly persecuted, often for no reason other than their attachment to religion. Some are forced to clean sewers, stables and pig farms.

• Young men are often kidnapped by the government, never to be seen again. This is especially the case with young men who show an interest in their religion and/or culture. China makes the pitiful excuse that these young men are terrorists. In fact, they are youth who are sick and tired of suffering the indignities of a brutal occupation and thus are a potential threat to despotism and dictatorship.

• And finally, as a result of Chinese occupation, at least 300,000 Uighur have died (out of a population that today equals only ten million, this is a frighteningly high percentage).
                              Source

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
                              X