• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counter-Terrorist Terrorists?

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3168655

Masked Gunmen Threaten to Kill Terror Leader

"PA"

A group of armed masked men threatened today to kill Jordanian militant Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, saying that he was murdering innocent Iraqis and defiling the Muslim religion.

In a videotape sent to al-Arabiya television, the previously unknown group, which called itself the Salvation Movement, ordered al-Zarqawi to leave the country immediately and questioned how he could justify the killing of innocent civilians and his threats to assassinate interim Iraqi Prime Minister Iyad Allawi.

The threat came a day after US jets, who have been targeting Zarqawi, launched an air strike in the restive city of Fallujah on a suspected safe house used by his followers, killing 15 people.

In the video, three men with rocket propelled grenades and other weapons, flanked by an Iraqi flag, delivered the threats. The man speaking had a clear Iraqi accent.

“We have started preparing ... to capture him and his allies or kill them and present them as gift to our people.” one of the men, whose faces were covered with Arab headscarves, said in the video.

“This is the last ultimatum to those who give him shelter. This is the last warning. If you don’t stop, we will do to you what the coalition forces have failed to do.”

Al-Zarqawi, said to be connected to al-Qaida, is believed to be behind a series of co-ordinated attacks on police and security forces that killed 100 people only days before US forces handed over power to an Iraqi interim government.

The attacks have led to fears that religious fanatics and Saddam loyalists may be joining forces to fight both the multinational force and the new Iraqi government.

However, many Iraqis, including insurgents, are deeply opposed to the presence of Zarqawi and other foreign fighters in their country.

OPINIONS?

I would have been doing that starting day 1. Vigilante justice is about all these people have, and it's about time they took their country back.
    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
    I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
      I would have been doing that starting day 1. Vigilante justice is about all these people have, and it's about time they took their country back.

So what should US troops do, should they come across these people?

Comment

Originally posted by s_qwert63
        So what should US troops do, should they come across these people?
        Vigilante justice is illegal, and these folks know it, thus the masks. If a Coalition soldier spots an armed person on the streets, that is not a Coalition soldier, they should shoot them.
        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Vigilante justice is illegal, and these folks know it, thus the masks. If a Coalition soldier spots an armed person on the streets, that is not a Coalition soldier, they should shoot them.

However this kind of destroys the idea of fighting fire with fire, doesn't it?
          Thus creating more work for the coalition.

Comment

However this kind of destroys the idea of fighting fire with fire, doesn't it?
            Thus creating more work for the coalition.
            Are you saying this is Coalition sponsored? What are you talking about? These people care about work for the Coalition?

Comment

Are you saying this is Coalition sponsored? What are you talking about? These people care about work for the Coalition?

No, I am saying, that the best way to fight fire is with fire.

Comment

No, I am saying, that the best way to fight fire is with fire.
                I agree, but it's still fire. I can't ask Coalition troops to try to differentiate between yet another group of people with guns. Like I said before, I would have been right in the thick on day one, but I would have expected to be shot if I was spotted by either side.

Comment

I agree, but it's still fire. I can't ask Coalition troops to try to differentiate between yet another group of people with guns. Like I said before, I would have been right in the thick on day one, but I would have expected to be shot if I was spotted by either side.
                  Yeah, coalition troops wouldn't know if armed men were anti-coalition insurgents or part of the anti al-Zarqawi group.
                  "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

As things stand now, they need to go join the Iraqi army or police. They needed to do the vigilante thing in the first months of the war.

Comment

Working...
                    X