X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Supreme Court Has Its Own Ten Commandments

I know, it's a rag, but here it is.

U.S. Supreme Court Has Its Own Ten Commandments

Here's a supreme hypocrisy: The Supreme Court of the United States refused Wednesday to block a lower court's order that Alabama's chief justice must remove a Ten Commandments monument from the state's Judicial Building. But ...

United Press International notes that if the justices want other examples of the Ten Commandments in courthouses, they don't have to look far.

They just have to look up.

A larger-than-life sculpture extends around the top of the justices' courtroom. One section depicts "lawgivers."

And there he is. Moses. Holding the Ten Commandments.

He's been there since the building was completed in 1935, and it is unlikely the P.C. thought police will ever be able to boot him.

As Chief Justice William Rehnquist explained when Muslims complained several years ago about one of Moses' companions in the sculpture, Mohammed holding the Koran, the historic building cannot be altered.

Also, directly over Rehnquist's head when he sits on the bench is a depiction of two tablets, rounded on the top and flat on the bottom. They contain the Roman numerals I through X.

Curators claim the tablets represent the Bill of Rights.

But, UPI says, "the tablets look awfully similar to what Charlton Heston might carry in a movie."

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2003/8/21/95743.shtml
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."
Working...
X