• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. speeds attack plans for North Korea

U.S. speeds attack plans for North Korea

By Bill Gertz
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    November 3, 2006

The Pentagon has stepped up planning for attacks against North Korea's nuclear program and is bolstering nuclear forces in Asia, said defense officials familiar with the highly secret process.
    The officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the accelerated military planning includes detailed programs for striking a North Korean plutonium-reprocessing facility at Yongbyon with special operations commando raids or strikes with Tomahawk cruise missiles or other precision-guided weapons.
    The effort, which had been under way for several months, was given new impetus by Pyongyang's underground nuclear test Oct. 9 and growing opposition to the nuclear program of Kim Jong-il's communist regime, especially by China and South Korea.
    A Pentagon official said the Department of Defense is considering "various military options" to remove the program.
    "Other than nuclear strikes, which are considered excessive, there are several options now in place. Planning has been accelerated," the official said.
    A second, senior defense official privy to the effort said the Bush administration recently affirmed its commitment to both South Korea and Japan that it would use U.S. nuclear weapons to deter North Korea, now considered an unofficial nuclear weapon state.
    "We will resort to whatever force levels we need to have, to defend the Republic of Korea. That nuclear deterrence is in place," said the senior official, who declined to reveal what nuclear forces are deployed in Asia.
    Other officials said the forces include bombs and air-launched missiles stored at Guam, a U.S. island in the western Pacific, that could be delivered by B-52 or B-2 bombers. Nine U.S. nuclear-missile submarines regularly deploy to Asian waters from Washington state.
    The officials said one military option calls for teams of Navy SEALs or other special operations commandos to conduct covert raids on Yongbyon's plutonium-reprocessing facility.
    The commandos would blow up the facility to prevent further reprocessing of the spent fuel rods, which provides the material for developing nuclear weapons.
    A second option calls for strikes by precision-guided Tomahawk missiles on the reprocessing plant from submarines or ships. The plan calls for simultaneous strikes from various sides to minimize any radioactive particles being carried away in the air.

Planners estimate that six Tomahawks could destroy the reprocessing plant and that it would take five to 10 years to rebuild.
    Asked about the strike planning, Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said the U.S. government is seeking a "peaceful, diplomatic solution" to the threat posed by North Korea.
    Regarding any military options, Mr. Whitman said, "The U.S. military is prepared and capable of carrying out all of its assigned missions."
    The planning does not mean that the United States will attack, only that military forces are ready to do so if President Bush orders strikes. Concerned about threats from rogue states such as North Korea, Mr. Bush called for a ballistic missile defense system, parts of which are operational.
    Defense officials said a key factor in the ramped-up planning effort is China's new attitude toward North Korea. Beijing's leaders, upset that North Korea conducted the test, supported a U.S.-led United Nations' resolution.
    Chinese opposition to military action had limited defense planning, the officials said. In the past, U.S. military plans required warning Beijing, a move considered likely to compromise any planned action because of the close military ties between China and North Korea.
    The Bush administration regards the new level of Chinese support as a "green light" for more aggressive military planning.
    U.S. officials think North Korea will conduct another underground test soon because Pyongyang is demanding to be recognized as a declared nuclear power. Both China and the U.S. gauged the test as only partially successful.
    The Yongbyon plant, 32 miles from the coast and a half-mile from a river, is considered a key target because U.S. intelligence agencies suspect that it is where the plutonium fuel used in the Oct. 9 test was produced.
    Defense planners also said equipment destroyed at Yongbyon would be difficult to replace once newly approved U.N. sanctions are in place.
    Another set of targets could be the nuclear test site near Kilchu, in northeastern North Korea. That site includes several research and testing-control facilities in the mountains -- and possibly one more tunnel where a nuclear device could be set off, the officials said.
    Recent intelligence reports also provided new information about Pyongyang's uranium-enrichment program, which remains hidden in underground facilities in northern North Korea, the officials said.
    The U.S. Special Operations Command has been planning raids against North Korean nuclear facilities for some time. It has conducted training for joint operations with South Korean special forces as well as unilateral U.S. operations.
    U.S. Pacific Command spokesman Capt. Jeff Alderson declined to comment on military planning but said the command is continuing to shift forces to the Pacific and has four missile-defense ships deployed in Japan.
    Mr. Bush said recently that any transfer of nuclear weapons by North Korea would be a "grave threat," phrasing viewed as diplomatic code for a military response. Defense officials said the military option will be used if North Korea is caught transferring nuclear arms to other states or terrorist groups.
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/natio...895r_page2.htm
    The US is now ready to hit another hot spot of the world.

This is Islamoterroist free area and it a totally pariah state and that is the advantage.

However, the impediment is that China is against military action.

Therefore, the US apparently has to tread with prudence since it would not be in the interest of the US to antagonise China.

In the eventuality of these NK nuclear facilities being knocked out, it will be end of NK's nuclear dream.

The moot point is, will the US do it?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

If there's talk of a plan to destroy NK's ability to make nukes, that means it's part of the diplomatic solution. We want to talk to them. China wants to talk to them. NK is less of a threat than Iran. I believe Kim just wants some attention. To announce that there's a plan to attack is to get him back to the table.

Iran is more of a problem. It's close to terrorists. It's a a fanatical religious state. I believe Iran to be more of a threat to the US than NK.

NK diverts us away from the real problem.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Kim and NK has pretty much isolated themselves in their arrogancy.
      While I see more Iran playing the same game as China.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
        If there's talk of a plan to destroy NK's ability to make nukes, that means it's part of the diplomatic solution. We want to talk to them. China wants to talk to them. NK is less of a threat than Iran. I believe Kim just wants some attention. To announce that there's a plan to attack is to get him back to the table.

Iran is more of a problem. It's close to terrorists. It's a a fanatical religious state. I believe Iran to be more of a threat to the US than NK.

NK diverts us away from the real problem.
        Completely agree. N Korea is not the threat. I have a very strong feeling that N Korea is a problem that will eventually solve itself. Not so with Iran. A nuclear Iran has potential to do just about anything. I fully believe that China has the ability to control N Korea, they just have not yet chosen to do so. Nobody has the same power over Iran.

Comment

NK is a problem.

It is high unpredictable.

It did not even heed China's (her only well wisher) friendly caution!

Because it is far and remote, it does not mean it is not a threat.

At the same time, Iran is in the hotseat of world's most dangerous area!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Sir,

Over at CDF, we're discussing an PRC-NK war scenario and the question that keeps popping up is why ain't the Chinese invading?

The NKs are the source of NE China's criminal problems including counterfeit currency, drugs, gambling, extortion, gang wars, prostitution, and illegal arms. The NKs are doing more to hurt China than Noreiga did when he was Panama's dictator.

Comment

The reason is that China needs an half-dying state at its door, to be a buffer against the Western world (SKorea).
              There is NO will in China to change things there.
              NKor and SKor are the only ones willing to reunite, each under its own condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                NK is a problem.

It is high unpredictable.

It did not even heed China's (her only well wisher) friendly caution!

Because it is far and remote, it does not mean it is not a threat.

At the same time, Iran is in the hotseat of world's most dangerous area!
                Yes, N Korea is definitely a problem. If they were not they wouldnt warrant any sort of discussion. however, from the perspective of the US, N Korea is a problem that is better and more effectively dealt with by other parties. The pressing security concern is Iran(after the Iraq disaster that is).
                As for why China has not yet taken steps to remove KJI from power, my guess is that from the Chinese point of view the benefits do not yet outweigh the risks. N Korea is a growing pain in the a#$ for China, but not yet a prime candidate for invasion. I wouldnt be surprised if the Chinese experience with Vietnam and what the Americans are going through in Iraq at this moment are giving the Chinese some pause. Invading a country is no small feat. It should only be done as a last resort. I think that N Korea has a way to go before they have to seriously fear Chinese invasion. Besides, there are other things (like shutting the border completely, supporting a coup) that the Chinese could try first.

Comment

One must understand that China's standing in Asia is because she has openly never indicated any interest in "interfering" in the internal affairs of a country.

Therefore, any aggressive action including attempts at regime change will spoil the image and will make Asian countries suspicious of her and thereby being a death knell to her attempts at hegemony.

So China is definitely out of any attempts at muscle flexing!

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

The Chinese can say they don't want to meddle in other nation's internal affairs, but we all know they will, if subtlely. That is the mark of a powerful nation.

China is very shrewd. NK is useful to blackmail the west. True, China can barely control it, but it at least has some influence over NK. In this role, China becomes a player. The EU will defer to China, as will Russia on this matter. The US is busy with Iraq and frankly we'd rather have someone else deal with Kim.

By projecting itself as indispensible, and a buffering force between NK and the west, China gains prestige on the world stage, brownie points in future dealings with EU and US, if you will.

China will not attack NK to solve its border problem. If it did, then China is stuck with rebuilding NK. I guess it could turn NK over to SK, but then there's no guarantee that US will withdraw its troops from Korea.

NK is too valuable to China right now to change anything.
                    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

China is very shrewd. NK is useful to blackmail the west. True, China can barely control it, but it at least has some influence over NK.
                      Hit the nail on the head.

Spot on!

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                        Sir,

Over at CDF, we're discussing an PRC-NK war scenario
                        That's because its a crap website,
                        even Bush won't go near the Norks

Comment

The membership speaks for itself ... and you're an idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by Tokyo Drifter View Post
                            That's because its a crap website,
                            even Bush won't go near the Norks
                            ????
                            Was that supposed to make sense?

Comment

Colonel,

Maybe he is making a mistake with the Communist website!

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                              X