No announcement yet.

WW2 SMG's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Up close, there was nothing better (except maybe a shotgun). But if you had to "reach out and touch someone" (insofar as a submachine gun can), I'd rather use a pistol.
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

To make, Thompsons cost (modern-times) about $500 a piece. PPShs cost maybe $75. mp40s cost maybe $100. The Thompsons were much more lethal at ranges up to 50-75 yards. I've had a friend shoot everything listed, he liked the Thompson the best, because it had twice the power of everything else. The mp40 was accurate, but on a bech rest, the Thompson fired much better.

Comment

And, in combat, precisely where do you find and use bench rests? ;)
        "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
          I'd have prefered the Tommy gun over any other WWII smg...but that's me i guess.
          You prefer anything that is the most expensive.
          BTW, have you fired either a Steyr Scout and/or a Sako rifle?

Comment

I prefer anything that is the best.

Steyr scout yes, Sako, no.

Comment

I own a Sako rifle in .25-06. Fine, beautiful, accurate but heavy rifle.

Comment

.25-06 is my favorite caliber for general sniping work.

A Sako would make a damned fine delivery vessel i'm sure. I'm jealous. ;)

Comment

You guys should try the .338 Lapua magnum version of the Sako rifles, some serious hitting power with decent weapon weight and recoil

Comment

The .338 kicks like a beaten mule.

Comment

I don't know much about guns - I'm English! But surely each of the four SMGs in this vote were good in certain circumstances?

I remember the MP40 from numerous films during my childhood. It seemed an effective method of strafing (i.e. in a room or to provide covering fire). The Thompson seemed a more robust SMG with a larger magazine capacity admittedly. Is this due to innaccuracy so increased probability of hitting the desired target. The Sten I know very little about, but seemed to prove quite effective at Arnhem etc. for the Paras. I've never heard of the PPSh before so can't comment.

However, you wouldn't use all of them for the same scenario if they all have differing specifications, would you?
                      "We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

Comment

The Tommy gun was easily the most accurate SMG of WWII.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                          The .338 kicks like a beaten mule.
                          I own a Ruger M77 Mark II in .338 Winchester Magnum (I own 2 other M77 rifles, but chambered in .30-06 and .300 Winchester Magnum). The .338 doesn't kick too badly, especially if you wear a shoulder pad, but extended firing might give problems.
                          Last edited by leib10; 02 Apr 05,, 00:04.

Comment

The .338 Lapua kicks a lot harder than the .338 WinMag.

Comment

True, and it's more powerful, but the .338 WinMag is still a powerful round. My dad in his hunting days killed a grizzly bear, and elk, and God knows what else with it before he gave it to me.

Comment

The .338 Lapua will easily down a mule deer at 700 yards. Even with a bullet-proof vest on.
                                Is the .338 Lapua the same as the .338 Win-Ultra-Mag?

Comment

Working...
                                X