No announcement yet.

Judge suspended over Ten Commandments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And are these guys for or against the statue?
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

From what I know (from their website and talking to other Yanks online) the ADL is an organisation set up to protect the civil liberties of minorities, mainly Jews. They do things like keep an eye on extreme-right groups (i.e. the KKK and Aryan Nations), as well as promoting racial tolerance etc.

However, they also do a lot of annoying things, like scream accusations of anti-semitism at people for no good reason (look at what happned to Mel Gibson), and sue people like Moore over his statue.

IMO, they are far too touchy about anti-semitism, and don't do Jews many favours.
      SWANSEA 'TILL I DIE! - CARN THE CROWS!

Rule Britannia, No Surrender

Staff Cadet in the Australian Army Reserve.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

That does sound a bit wierd... What did they say about Mel Gibson?
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Ok, Gibson is a hard-line Roman Catholic, who belongs to an ultra-conservative branch of the Church.

He made this film about the last day of Christ's life, called The Passion. It is supposed to be ultra realistic, even to the point of the whole film being in Aramaic and Latin. (With no subtitles, IIRC!)

Anyway, before even the script was released, the ADL tried to get the film banned for fear it would give credence to the idea that the Jews were responsible for Christs death. Why they haven't tried to ban the Bible yet, I don't know.

Now, I have issues with the film (I think it is blasphemous to make images of Christ), but that aside, the ADL were screaming racism/anti-semitism before they had even seen the film.

Lots of people who might have been ambivalent about the whole issue were put off by this overreaction. Its not like people are going to go on pogroms every easter after seeing the film, and its not like attributing the death of Christ to the Jews is some new radical anti-semetic theory.

They say they support religious freedom, but sue Christian ministers who say Jews (along with all other non-Christians) are going to hell. They say they support freedom of speech, but only as long as it doesn't make Jews look bad, no matter how established the facts are.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Jews did cause the death of Christ, they betrayed him. Saying that Jews didn't cause his death is a farce.

However I don't really care that Jews killed Christ.

Comment

I don't know too much on the subject, but the killing of Jesus allowed him to rise again, didn't it? Besides, it's not like ALL Jews are completely responsible, only Judas Iscariot is. I don't know why I should have to suffer for something that was gonna happen anyway. Jesus was mortal. Proof- He's not alive today.

Comment

The Jews at fault for causing the death of Jesus were only the ones that betrayed him. No other Jews are responsible. Blaming todays jews for that is just as bad as blaming todays whites for slavery and todays Christians for the Crusads.

I'm atheist so I don't really care.
                Last edited by Praxus; 04 Sep 03,, 21:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
                  The Jews at fault for causing the death of Jesus were only the ones that betrayed him. No other Jews are responsible. Blaming todays jews for that is just as bad as blaming todays whites for slavery and todays Christians for the Crusads.

I'm atheist so I don't really care.
                  What was wrong with the Crusads? They brought the world out of the dark ages.

Comment

From my limited knowledge of the subject, the Crusades were basically what Hitler did, but without an Alliance of nations to stop him.

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
                      They bought the statue with private funds so the misappropiation of public funds is not the issue here. The issue here is the endorsment of the Ten Commandments being some supreme law on which all others are based which is obviously bull.
                      Well that's good at least. Honestly the only thing that would bother me about it is if I have to pay for it. Course I'll have to chip in for the legal case so I still get screwed. :p

But just to continue to play the Devil's advocate here. Is there space enough for other faiths to erect their monuments in front of the Courthouse? Can we have a Buddha? The Scientologist would like a big statue of El Ron Hubbard. And as the Devil's advocate I'd like some sort of goat figure. (Not really)

Comment

Originally posted by Leader
                        What was wrong with the Crusads? They brought the world out of the dark ages.
                        The inital Crusades were to retake the Holy Land from the Muslems. A fair enough endeavor I think. But as the wars dragged on the Crusades became more about looting than about a Holy Quest. At one point, Crusaders even sacked a Christian city (Constantinople)!

Comment

I think if they want to have that statue there, they should gather some charity money to buy a peice of private property in front or near the court hourse to place it on.

Comment

I think if they want to have that statue there, they should gather some charity money to buy a peice of private property in front or near the court hourse to place it on.
                            That'd be missing the point. See, Christians do not need to be told what the 10 Commandments are. I mean, most people know most of them. And I'm sure many of these people have a copy on thier wall at home.

The point is that for Christians, the civil law should be based on God's Law. Therefore, it is very fitting to have God's law prominently displayed outside a courthouse.

And as for the 'could they erect a Bhudda etc', again that would be missing the point. See, what is the first commandment? 'Thou shalt have no other gods before Me'.

Christians who truly follow the Bible believe that Christianity is the only true religion. People's right to worship as they choose notwithstanding, there is only one true God.

And for what it's worth, I think the Crusades were a bloody travesty. Most of the crusaders were no more Christian than the Moslems they were fighting. Just look at the sack of Constaninople. Most of the crusades were manouvers by the Roman Catholic Church to manipulate western Europe more squarely under the thumb of the Popes.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Originally posted by Ziska
                              The point is that for Christians, the civil law should be based on God's Law. Therefore, it is very fitting to have God's law prominently displayed outside a courthouse.

And as for the 'could they erect a Bhudda etc', again that would be missing the point. See, what is the first commandment? 'Thou shalt have no other gods before Me'.

Christians who truly follow the Bible believe that Christianity is the only true religion. People's right to worship as they choose notwithstanding, there is only one true God.

But the courthouse is public property therefore it belongs to all citizens of the country and not all citizens of the country are Christian. If the US truly does not sanction any one faith, than if it allows a piece of public property to display religious monuments than all faiths should have an equal chance of getting their faith represented.

In truth, I cynically think this whole thing is a political ploy by the judge. He'll be running for a public office soon.

Comment

That could backfire too easily. If too many people object to the statue now, it could have a serious effect during elections.

Comment

Working...
                                X