Car Stolen With Kids Inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Stolen With Kids Inside

I hope this mother is charged with child endangerment. Why the hell would a mother leave two small children in a car that is not only unlocked, but running!!? How much longer and how inconvenient would it have been to have take them out of their car seats and brought them in? I am sure it was more of an inconvenience to have had to sit there all day wondering if she'd ever see her kids again.

Freaking people.

Car stolen with kids inside

By Jason Meisner
    Tribune staff reporter

November 2, 2006, 12:19 PM CST

Two young children were found safe this morning after the car they were sitting in was stolen from a day-care center on Chicago's Northwest Side while their mother was inside the building.

The theft occurred shortly before 9 a.m. in the 5500 block of West Fullerton Avenue, in the city's Belmont-Cragin neighborhood, Chicago police Officer Marcel Bright said.

The mother of the children, ages 2 and 3, left them sitting in the car with the engine running while she dropped a third child off at the day-care center, Bright said.

"While she was away from the car an unknown offender jumped into the vehicle and took off," Bright said.

A short time later, the children were found unharmed in the 800 block of North Latrobe Avenue, a few miles from where they were taken, Bright said. The car was found nearby, but the suspect remained at large, he said.

The children were taken back to the day-care center and reunited with their parents, according to Bright.

Grand Central Area detectives were investigating the incident.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...i-newsroom-hed
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

That would seem to be akin to charging a Female Grizzly bear because she didn't defend her kid from an infanticidal male Grizzly while she was foraging for berries because her cub momentarily left her LOS(Line of Sight).

Parents can't be there 24-7, and this to me is little different than if the thief/abductor had climbed in an unlocked house window to take the kids.

I am all for the MAXIMUM possible punishment of the thief, but i would leave mom alone...i'd say she's learned her lesson, and they've ALL been through enough.

Taking the womans kids away and putting her in jail for what millions upon millions of moms do everyday the world over(my mom included when i was a yute), seems to border on tyranny to me.

Besides, we can't keep REAL criminals in jail cause there's no room. So adding to the problem by putting innocent moms in jail becomes doubly foolish in that light. Further, we cannot even find the court time/$ to put all the real criminals we do have on trial, and we end up having to plea most of them out to lesser charges to save time/money. This would only exacerbate that problem with what is to me, the theifs fault, not the mothers.

I understand your sentiment THL, but i do not subscribe to your prescribed cure.
    Last edited by Bill; 02 Nov 06,, 22:55.

Comment

I will be real surprised, THL, if you haven't lost your little girl in the shopping centre at least once. My #1 Daughter has pushed my panic button more than once.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper View Post
        Parents can't be there 24-7, and this to me is little different than if the thief/abductor had climbed in an unlocked house window to take the kids.
        You are right - we cannot be there 24/7. But a three year old and a two year old should have someone there whenever they are awake and mobile.

Someone did not break in during the night. She left them alone. A two year old and a three year old. Alone. In a car which was running. In Chicago. This is not Mount Airy, NC where Barney and Andy can come to the rescue - this is a major city where kids should not even be left alone in a locked car while someone runs into a gas station, something that can take less than a minute. There is no reason she should have left these kids alone in a car with the keys in it outside a daycare, something that takes a minimum of three minutes to take care of.

Originally posted by OoE
        I will be real surprised, THL, if you haven't lost your little girl in the shopping centre at least once.
        Be surprised, Sir. I have never misplaced my daughter in public. Nor have I left her alone in a city of 3 million people.

At home she has hidden from me causing me to look for open doors to the outside, but when we leave this house, she knows she is not to leave my side. If she lets go of the side of a shopping cart - she goes IN the cart. This is not something she likes, so she stays with me. That is the rule when we are out and I ensure that it is followed.
        "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

I agree with you THL. But the solution isn't jail time or punishment. No, what really happens is silly new laws go into the books, and social workers and judges start deciding what's best for all families because a handful of stupid people can't take care of themselves. That's more often the end result of these stories. I'm sure there's some group just itching to start pushing legislation as we speak.

Comment

Originally posted by THL View Post
            You are right - we cannot be there 24/7. But a three year old and a two year old should have someone there whenever they are awake and mobile.
            Life rarely works as it should.

Someone did not break in during the night.
            No, they broke in during the day.

She left them alone.
            As she would if she laid them down to bed in their rooms at night. Automotive glass is much stronger than house glass, and steel car doors are far more robust than wooden home doors, so the environment she left them in is not the problem, it's the fact she left the doors unlocked that leaves her at fault at all.

A two year old and a three year old. Alone. In a car which was running. In Chicago.
            An infant in it's cradle at home, alone in it's room, in a stately manor in New Jersey, in the nineteen twenties, when crime was virtually non-existent. Kidnapped, murdered. Charles Lindburgh's life shattered because "he left his child alone."

Indeed. How dare he...

This is not Mount Airy, NC where Barney and Andy can come to the rescue - this is a major city where kids should not even be left alone in a locked car while someone runs into a gas station, something that can take less than a minute. There is no reason she should have left these kids alone in a car with the keys in it outside a daycare, something that takes a minimum of three minutes to take care of..
            So what if she took them with her and some kidnapper took them away at gunpoint anyway? What's the difference? Kidnapping is kidnapping, and no, you cannot protect your children. You're not even allowed to legally be armed because Emperor Daley has decreed that you are all to be defenseless sheep.

I mean seriously, if she is at fault, it's for raising her kids in a cess-pool like Chicago(bang, bang) to begin with.

Be surprised, Sir. I have never misplaced my daughter in public. Nor have I left her alone in a city of 3 million people.
            Well you may be the greatest mom ever, but i've been lost in a few department or toy stores in my youth. For the vast majority of kids(or cubs foraging in the woods), it works out OK. Hell, i used to walk to and fro from school amost a mile each way by age 7. In Philadelphia.

Once in a while....you read about a tragedy in the paper because there was a monster there that day. It happens. It's part of nature. Even if you're there, without an effective means to stop a violent snatching and 100% dilligence, there is a risk it can happen to anyone. You cannot protect everyone all the time. We cannot be expected to live our lives in governmnet mandated oxygen bubbles.

It's part of life that there are monsters among us.

At home she has hidden from me causing me to look for open doors to the outside, but when we leave this house, she knows she is not to leave my side. If she lets go of the side of a shopping cart - she goes IN the cart. This is not something she likes, so she stays with me. That is the rule when we are out and I ensure that it is followed.
            And some guy walks up, punches you in the face, and takes your kid while you snooze, concussed on the sidewalk(which definitely happens to some people)....and i can sit here and say "She was a rotten mother for not being more alert, and for not having a black belt in three kinds of Karate."

Sometimes, the baby cub gets eaten by wolves. It's just the way it is. When it happens, it is not the mother's fault. It is the wolves fault. By all means, kill the wolf. Leave the poor mother alone though. It's bad enough that her cub just got eaten, she can do without your hysterical and senseless accusations.

I swear, you liberals confound me beyond words.
            Last edited by Bill; 03 Nov 06,, 02:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Wooglin View Post
              I agree with you THL. But the solution isn't jail time or punishment. No, what really happens is silly new laws go into the books, and social workers and judges start deciding what's best for all families because a handful of stupid people can't take care of themselves. That's more often the end result of these stories. I'm sure there's some group just itching to start pushing legislation as we speak.
              Exactly.

Sure she was lazy or stupid, or whatever...but at some point virtually all parents are(excepting THL apparently, who is at all times armed, vigilant, conscious, and ALWAYS in sight of her child 24/7) are out of contact with their kids for a variety of reasons. It is going to happen. You have the law of averages on your side, but as i said...sometimes the wolves get the cub.

That's the way it works. That's the way it will always work.

Comment

Originally posted by Wooglin View Post
                and I agree. I dont think that the children should be pulled out of the home and thrown into foster care and the mother jailed for the rest of her life :) - not what I meant. But there should be some sort of something that can be done to keep her from doing this again.

Originally posted by Sniper
                So what if she took them with her and some kidnapper took them away at gunpoint anyway?
                At least she would have been caring for them and trying to keep them safe if that had happened. She should have just left her children on the street with big "Free" signs around their necks. At least then she would have still had her car there to get to work on time.

A mother does not leave her 2 and 3 year old children outside alone. In Chicago or elsewhere. She was not watching them. Someone did not forcibly take them from her. She did not have them locked behind closed doors at her home. They were not tucked in their beds. She left them alone in an unlocked car that was running. She invited a criminal to take them. She was doing NOTHING at that moment to keep her children safe. Nothing.

I do EVERYTHING I can think of to keep my daughter safe. Excuse me, if I get upset that others do not follow suit.

Comment

Ever since my son turned three he thinks he is Mario Andretti. If I left him in a running car and walked away it would have been bad news.

The mother should have atleast locked the doors otherwise she may as well left the kids on a central park bench.

Correct me if I am wrong, but every once in a while the parent to leave the kids in the car for only a moment, (which ends up closer to 15 min or more) and the kids end up freezing to death or end up with heat stroke?

The bottom line is that the mother showed poor judgement and I hope she learned her lesson.
                  Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

I do EVERYTHING I can think of to keep my daughter safe. Excuse me, if I get upset that others do not follow suit.
                    Do you:

Carry a gun?
                    Carry a tanto or good blade?
                    Carry pepper spray?
                    Even live in a locale where you can legally do those things?
                    Wear body armor?
                    Have custom body armor for the kid to wear in public?
                    Have kickproof doors and bullet proof glass with unpickable locks on your home and auto?
                    Have an armored car seat for the kid?
                    Drive a volvo?
                    With an automatic fire suppression system?
                    Know kung-fu?
                    Does the kid?
                    Have an emergency crash cart handy at all times?
                    Adrenaline shot?
                    Anti-venom?
                    Well?

Clearly, you do not do 'everything possible' to safeguard your kid. No one alive does.

Comment

Do you:...Clearly, you do not do 'everything possible' to safeguard your kid. No one alive does.
                      As a matter of fact I DO carry mace. :) No. Really. I do.

You know what I don't do? I do not leave my child alone in a running car. I do not leave her out on the street by herself. I do not put her in situations where it would be easy or optimal for someone to walk off with her.

That is at least one thing that separates ME from the woman who left her toddlers alone.

Comment

I swear, you liberals confound me beyond words.
                        and for the last time, I am not a freaking liberal. Dem-O-Crat. Democrat. Center walking, talking, breathing, living, being Democrat.

Comment

Now, that's not true, is it? You've left her with your ex, out of your sight and out of your care. Now, you may trust your ex with his own daughter but you have left her out of your sight and out of your control.

Comment

As a matter of fact I DO carry mace. :) No. Really. I do.

You know what I don't do? I do not leave my child alone in a running car. I do not leave her out on the street by herself. I do not put her in situations where it would be easy or optimal for someone to walk off with her.

That is at least one thing that separates ME from the woman who left her toddlers alone.
                            You leave the kid alone out of site in her decidedly unsecured bed room.
                            Probably every night.

This does not make you wrong, btw.

and for the last time, I am not a freaking liberal. Dem-O-Crat. Democrat. Center walking, talking, breathing, living, being Democrat.
                            If it walks like a donkey and talks like a donkey, it must be a liberal democrat.

You may say you're not, but your arguments continually confirm that indeed, you are.

Comment

Originally posted by THL
                              Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                              Now, that's not true, is it? You've left her with your ex, out of your sight and out of your care. Now, you may trust your ex with his own daughter but you have left her out of your sight and out of your control.
                              On the contrary, I do not trust my ex. Which is what makes him my ex.

However, even when she would go on court appointed mandatory visitations with him, she was not lost or misplaced. Out of my sight, out of my care (probably not out of danger) yes, but not misplaced.

Comment

Working...
                              X