• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M21Sniper
    Wrong.

http://www.vectorsite.net/avah64.html

It has boron armor.
    Listen, just look at the weight. You know a lot about tanks and APCs. How do they could fit anything serious in 7 tons total?
    Last edited by Lunatock; 25 Jun 04,, 18:30.

Comment

So now it's gone from 'no it doesnt have armor' to 'how can it have armor its so light'?

LOL

Boron is very light for the protection it offers, that's how.

EVERY single apache ever made is armored vs 23mm flank and 14.5mm frontal crew protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunatock
        Seems to have held up better than Hind gunships that were hit by heatseekers in Afghanistan.

And if these things are so fragile, then dig up pics of them reduced to smoldering hulks starting with Operation Desert Storm and right up until today where they were deployed in Afghanistan & Iraq.

The worst beatings Apache's took was at the battle of Tora Bora. They had to break from the usual routine of hitting the enemy from a distance and do strafing runs to provide cover for the ground troops. With one AH-64 having to fall back from the range, after getting hit by at least one RPG. The crew had to set it down to do some field repairs while still in shooting range of Taliban & Al-Qaeda forces. Then they took off and returned to base.
        Hind had the same "armouring" scheme as Apache - bulletproof "windshield" and tiny armor plates on sides pf the cabin.
        Ka-50 and later Mi-28 is a BIG difference to that.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
          So now it's gone from 'no it doesnt have armor' to 'how can it have armor its so light'?

LOL

Boron is very light for the protection it offers, that's how.

EVERY single apache ever made is armored vs 23mm flank and 14.5mm frontal crew protection.
          I've read that link you posted long time ago. So it goes for FAS and so on.

All this stuff have very little connection to reality.

Comment

Originally posted by lurker
            Listen, just look at the weight. You know a lot about tanks and APCs. How do they could fit anything serious in 7 tons total?

Titanium? I know for a fact that the rotor blades are made of titanium. Very strong, and very light. Chances are good that other parts of the AH-64 Apache are also titanium.

Comment

Titanium? I know for a fact that the rotor blades are made of titanium. Very strong, and very light. Chances are good that other parts of the AH-64 Apache are also titanium.
              Plastic I swear :) Can post photos as well :)

Comment

The Apache's rotors are composite(including plastic), and are claimed to withstand 23mm API fire, but in reality will only resist 14.5mm HMG fire.

Comment

in reality will only resist 14.5mm HMG fire.
                  14.5mm my a...

Plastic only with monomolecular metallic strings inside.

Last edited by lurker; 25 Jun 04,, 18:47.

Comment

How do you know something less then 14.5 did that?

Do you have evidence?

What's amazing about that picture is that they landed it with little damage beyond the rotors.

Comment

Originally posted by lurker
                      14.5mm my a...

Plastic only with monomolecular metallic strings inside.

Will you claim it also shoots spitballs from it's front mounted machinegun?

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
                        How do you know something less then 14.5 did that?

Do you have evidence?
                        That is no enemy fire. That is sandstorm :) Helicopter was not airborne.

Comment

lol;)

How did a sandstorm do that?

Wind and Sand isn't going to do that. Did the Helicopter tip over with the rotors spinning?

From the damage to the rotors thats what it looks like.

Comment

Will you claim it also shoots spitballs from it's front mounted machinegun?
                            No i will not :)

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
                              lol;)

How did a sandstorm do that?

Wind and Sand isn't going to do that. Did the Helicopter tip over with the rotors spinning?

From the damage to the rotors thats what it looks like.
                              I can post bigger versions, but that site is down (i don't know why)

On a bigger version You can see that
                              1. all helicopter is very dirty from the sand
                              2. some other helicopters are laying on their side (same series of photos)
                              3. wheels of this one are not broken, but buiried in the sand
                              4. small covers and pylons are twisted and damaged.

p.s. guys who unrestand the rotor construction better than me said that it was probably hitting the ground during the strom.

Comment

Yah thats what I was thinking. The wind was blowing the rotor all over the place and it turned it on it's side or at least tilted it.

I would that is slightly more energy then 14.5mm round;)

Comment

Working...
                                X