Most Adv. Attack Heli, KA-50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Praxus
    Yah thats what I was thinking. The wind was blowing the rotor all over the place and it turned it on it's side or at least tilted it.

I would that is slightly more energy then 14.5mm round;)
    I doubt that. Pressure concentrated on a tip of the round whould be much more powerful than that.

But maybe it will not do the same whole damage to the rotor.

Comment

Originally posted by lurker
      I doubt that. Pressure concentrated on a tip of the round whould be much more powerful than that.

But maybe it will not do the same whole damage to the rotor.
      So your saying if the rotor can stop a bullet it should be able to stop the the entire weight of the propeller colliding with the ground at high speed?

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
        So your saying if the rotor can stop a bullet it should be able to stop the the entire weight of the propeller colliding with the ground at high speed?
        I am saying that it cant stop a bullet (from the look on it - even 7.62mm AP round). It will be holed, but will not destruct much from that hole.

Rotor blades are not hard, they are flexible.
        Last edited by lurker; 25 Jun 04,, 20:11.

Comment

Originally posted by lurker
          I am saying that it cant stop a bullet (from the look on it - even 7.62mm AP round). It will be holed, but will not destruct much from that hole.

Rotor blades are not hard, they are flexible.
          Oh ok, I misunderstood what you said.

Comment

The Apache rotor doesn't STOP the bullet, it takes the hit without disintegrating. That 'monomolecular filler' is among other things titanium 'string'. The exterior is a 'kevlar like' material.

Same result....bullet does not bring down aircraft.

Apache(and BlackHawk) rotor tips were notorious for splitting when i was in. They used to use 100 mile an hour tape on the tips to keep them from failing in flight. The problem has supposedly been corrected since 90 when i got out.

That sandstorm took out almost a whole Battalion of Apaches if it's the same one i'm thinking of. Happened in the first week of the war.

In any case, the Apache is quite heavily armored wrt crew protection, and is highly resistant to small arms/LMGs(which deliver the vast majority of fire against combat helos), and has withstood RPG-7 direct hits on three different occasions in battle(1 in Afghanistan, 2 in Iraq).
            During ODS an Apache Bn was literally ambushed by concentrated heavy mortar fire in a battalion hover formation while setting up for an attack. Most of the Apaches took schrapnel, none were lost. No crewman was injured.

The night of the raid on Karballa an entire Bn of Apaches was sent in, and something like 27 of the aircraft took hits, and only one was forced down(the one the Iraqi farmer made famous, lol).

Any way you slice it, the Apache is a very resillient and lethal attack helicopter with almost 10,000 operational combat sorties under it's belt.

The problem with the Apache is it's reliability, but of course no one even mentioned that...

NOTE:

Another point of immense importance that has also not been mentioned is the vast difference in the way US vs Russian helos are EMPLOYED. That greatly affects how they are designed, and why. For it's SPECIFIC ROLE the AH-64 Apache is the most terrifying implement of war ever devised.

There are about 30,000 dead Iraqis that will testify to that.

Whispering death they call it.
            Last edited by Bill; 26 Jun 04,, 06:42.

Comment

"All this stuff have very little connection to reality."

Which explains why in 10,000 combat sorties no more than a mere handful of Apaches have been brought down by enemy fire.

By my count it's 2.....

You have no connection to reality.

Comment

Say, how many Mi-24 wrecks are rusting away in Afghanistan anyway? How did they get there?
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I like Kamovs. I have a post in my bedroom with quite a few, quite dated by now though :P, military helicopters. (Kamov KA-25 and KA-27 were pretty nice too for their time, if you'd ask me).

Comment

I happen to think a lot of Russian helos are cool.
                    Truth be told, I still love the Hind gunship and those new Kamovs are really cool as well.
                    I can't say the same thing for the Mi-28 Havoc though. That bird has to be the most ugly/beastly/ungainly-looking helo out there.
                    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                      The Apache's rotors are composite(including plastic), and are claimed to withstand 23mm API fire, but in reality will only resist 14.5mm HMG fire.
                      How well do they resist a big fishing net ? Or a low velocity big scafolding pole like a broom handle in a bicycle wheel?
                      Where's the bloody gin? An army marches on its liver, not its ruddy stomach.

Comment

AH-64s are too delicate and their weapons and avionic systems are not 'tropicalised' to suit hot desert regions like that of Iraq and Afghanistan, even Pakistan. Thats the reason why many went down there. On the other hand Hinds and Kamovs do very well, with Airforces like Russia and India. They are very rugged and some Kamovs can even take out low flying fixed wing aircrafts. Sandstorms or snow, they can kick butt. :)

Comment

The AH-1 Cobra is my favorite attack helicopter, it may not be the most advanced but it sure is capable of performing its job in all kinds of weathers.
                          AH-1 Cobra

Comment

Originally posted by Fury
                            The AH-1 Cobra is my favorite attack helicopter, it may not be the most advanced but it sure is capable of performing its job in all kinds of weathers.
                            AH-1 Cobra
                            You forget one more merrit - it is very cheap ($11m-$12m)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Hitler
                              AH-64s are too delicate and their weapons and avionic systems are not 'tropicalised' to suit hot desert regions like that of Iraq and Afghanistan, even Pakistan. Thats the reason why many went down there. On the other hand Hinds and Kamovs do very well, with Airforces like Russia and India. They are very rugged and some Kamovs can even take out low flying fixed wing aircrafts. Sandstorms or snow, they can kick butt. :)
                              K-50 also has also higher cielling as it was designed specifically with Afghanistan experience.....

Comment

Originally posted by Lunatock
                                Seems to have held up better than Hind gunships that were hit by heatseekers in Afghanistan.
                                Actually, Hinds perform alot better in hot desert regions than Apaches. Indian Air Force Hinds do extremely well straffing enemy Pakistani troop positions along the Indo-Pak borders. They've removed entire enemy bunkers off the PoK map. Nothings ever heard of the PAF Cobras though. American choppers are very delicate when it comes to their electrical avionic and weapon systems, since they are not 'tropicalised' unlike erstwhile Soviet gunships, they're rugged. Heatseekers may have brought down a few Hinds in Afghanistan, but its the heat and dust alone that brought down Apaches and Cobras in Iraq and Afghanistan in the past years.

Apprently, it was an Iraqi Hind that shot down an Iranian F-14 flying low in a valley during the Iran-Iraq war. Mi-28s and Ka-50s maybe far advanced than Apaches, but I'd reckon the Hinds are better than them too.

See the pods nearest to the main fuselage, under the stub win pylons? Those could be Chemical/Biological Weapons, to deploy/release poisonous gas, etc. :

Comment

Working...
                                X