Most Adv. Attack Heli, KA-50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Praxus
    The KA-50 doesn't have a milimeter wave radar like the Longbow does. The Longbow carries 1200 rounds for it's 30mm gun compared to just over 400 in the KA-50. The Hellfire also outranges the Vikhr by over 2 kilometers.

The only thing the KA-50 is better at is the Gunship role and even at that it's a close call. Nice helicopter, but it doesn't measure up to the Longbow.
    this point was taken by Ka-52 which has an Arbalet radar much beyond capabilities of Longbow.

It detects a tank at a range of 12km, fighter jet at 15km and a Stinger missile at 5km. In addition to that it is better armored than Appach. Plus this bird is many cheaper - politics and US/NATO tied logistics remain the major reason why to buy Longbow over Ka-52.....

Comment

and what about the eurocopter tiger?

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/row/tiger.htm

Comment

Originally posted by barrowaj
        How do the Ka-50 and Mi-28 Havoc compare? I think the Havoc is one of the coolest looking helocopters since the Commanche. I've also seen the Havoc with a ball on top that I would assume has a radar in it like the Longbow. However, I think for helos, IR sensors are more important anyway.
        If I remember well what I read back in the days, Mi-28 was manly designed for anti-tank role while the Ka-50 was a more all-round machine, with lots of innovative solutions. This magazine listed all the Ka specs, then saying "it seems like a mediocre fighter. Only it's not a fighter, but an helicopter!".
        Also, I believe the Ka is substantially more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by miglover5
          and what about the eurocopter tiger?

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/row/tiger.htm
          Nice bird, but like most things coming out of europe these days its undersized and under armed. If used in the armed recon role instead of attack it is a very effective helicopter. To be honest, I wish the Army would have chosen it or the A129 for ARH instead of the Bell 407.
          F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

OH-58Ds are pretty damned good recon birds.

I've had a few 'duels' with them over the years. Don't usually work out too well.... :(

The Army is getting ready to replace/augment them with modified OH-6 Loaches.

Comment

Actually, it's being replaced by the newest member of the Jet Ranger family, the Bell 407. Might end up as the MH-58E
              F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Hmmm, i know about a year ago when Commanche got axed they'd had a plan to use OH-6s(modernized, of course).

Someone posted the story on my board at that time, but i don't recall any details.

Regardless, the OH-58D is a deadly adversary. Ask me how i know. ;)

Comment

KA-50 has one problem: there's only one person on the chopper. That means information overload for the pilot.
                  "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by leibstandarte10
                    KA-50 has one problem: there's only one person on the chopper. That means information overload for the pilot.
                    That's actually one of its strengths, according to Kamov bureau. Ka-50 has state of the art helment-mounted hud and voice-activated controls.
                    After all, the F-16 has only one pilot...

Comment

Nevertheless, it puts it at a disadvantage when compared to other helicopters.
                      "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

F 16 has a trainer version with two.

The KA 50 has a night fighter version with 2 pilots. I still like the classic Tandem for attack choppers, After all Choppers beat the air into submission.
                        Flying a chopper is not like flying a jet. a pilot flying the bird well the gunner kills is the best way.

Comment

Originally posted by Terran empire
                          F 16 has a trainer version with two.

The KA 50 has a night fighter version with 2 pilots. I still like the classic Tandem for attack choppers, After all Choppers beat the air into submission.
                          Flying a chopper is not like flying a jet. a pilot flying the bird well the gunner kills is the best way.

Then those people at Kamov must have screwed up. Hopefully, they read this board.

Comment

Well the Ka-50 is the only single seat attack helo in the world.

One has to wonder what they were thinking when they decided to reinvent the wheel...

Maybe they should have asked the people at this board.

Comment

Just my $0.02, but the damage picture was taken during the Iraqi invasion in April 2003. That picture was taken late in April during the Army's attack on the Karbala Gap on the western approaches to Baghdad. An Iraqi Republican Guard Corps had positioned itself on the Gap between a dam to the northeast and the city of Karbala directly opposite, a natural choke point.

That picture is of some Apaches tasked to strike the RGC units near Karbala. Liftoff occurred in a blinding sandstorm, and some of the helos crashed and fell on thier side. The rest of the task force flew towards the objective but ran into a well-coordinated AAA trap, damaging one so badly that the crew had to land it. After landing near the town, they tried to evade, but were captured. The Apache was intact in the middle of a field. A short time later, a US Army MLRS destoyed the Apache. Both crew survived the war.

One of the crew members was on the American TV reality/ game show "The Amazing Race".

The picture is the aftermath of the helos that were caught up in the sandstorm and fell on thier sides while taking off. They were repaired over the next few weeks and returned to service, from what I was told.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                                Hmmm, i know about a year ago when Commanche got axed they'd had a plan to use OH-6s(modernized, of course).

Someone posted the story on my board at that time, but i don't recall any details.

Regardless, the OH-58D is a deadly adversary. Ask me how i know. ;)
                                I'm asking. Where did you meet them? How did you "duel"? Tactics.etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X