Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China's Cruise Missle Development

According to a recent article from Taiwan military magazine:

Chinese anti-ground cruise missle development is one of the best kept secrets. Nothing is released before middle 90s of last century, and only limited information has been disclosed since then.

1. Research started from end of 1970s

2. Technical breakthrough was achieved by end of 1980s

3. Successfully tested production version in early 1990s

4. Deployment started from middle of 1990s

Somewhere during the Lewinsky ages.... ripped open American Tomahawk missile and started working on a clone.

Comment

Originally posted by Asim Aquil
      Somewhere during the Lewinsky ages.... ripped open American Tomahawk missile and started working on a clone.
      No, these kind of technology can not be cloned.

Most of them hide in the software code, highly application specific and nobody can break it without the system design knowledge.

Comment

Everything can be cloned, believe me.

Comment

Originally posted by lurker
          Everything can be cloned, believe me.
          right, there was a rumoured test an year back, and some pictures were there to support the rumour too. It looked awfully like the tomahawk. China denied any testing at all.

I think China can have the software aspects covered, it was just the missile itself. I think the main thing you need for the software aspect would be the terrain mapping. China has sats that can do that right?

Why else would Pakistan never return those missiles back to the United States? I mean yes Pakistanis were pissed off for America violating our airspace, but thats something we can get over. Now instead if we helped China, we get some missiles in return as well. Effectively crippling one strategic advantage that India has, on its progress with the Brahmos cruise missile.

Comment

Any body knows when China purchased Yakhont and Sunburn cruise missiles from Russia? If they have home grown missiles, I dont think they'll purchase foreign missiles? wud they??
            A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

As cateyes said homegrowns aren't done yet!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
                Any body knows when China purchased Yakhont and Sunburn cruise missiles from Russia? If they have home grown missiles, I dont think they'll purchase foreign missiles? wud they??
                These missles are used to attack ships, with high speed and long range, Russia's speciality.

As for long range anti-ground cruise missle, don't think you can find anyplace to buy.

Don't think you can easily clone these kind of missle technologies. An anti-ground cruise missle consists of a small radar, small jet engin, and most important - control unit, etc. Radar and engin technology are not very difficult anyway. For control unit, you need fast processing chip, huge amount of memory, algorithm to handle the radar data(terrain matching). And you can't get these know-hows from a wreck of Tomhawk.

Comment

There was a report last year that Chinese engineer broke the Su-27 avionics program, making it available for cloning. That application is very close to missile applications.

I don't think that cloning anything would be a difficult task with today's technology.
                  (For examle not so long ago USSR was cloning Intel microprocessors - by removing tiny layers of silicone and photographing them etc. etc.)

There was also some reports about a guy from Australlia, who was building homemade cruise missile.

I think If someone have unlimited (or huge) funds - anything can be done.
                  Last edited by lurker; 21 Jun 04,, 20:53.

Comment

Originally posted by lurker
                    There was a report last year that Chinese engineer broke the Su-27 avionics program, making it available for cloning. That application is very close to missile applications.

I don't think that cloning anything would be a difficult task with today's technology.
                    (For examle not so long ago USSR was cloning Intel microprocessors - by removing tiny layers of silicone and photographing them etc. etc.)

There was also some reports about a guy from Australlia, who was building homemade cruise missile.

I think If someone have unlimited (or huge) funds - anything can be done.
                    Basically you can break into it and change some parameters(limites), but no way can you clone the whole system using this method.

It is not difficult to clone intel chips, since the instruction set is public. There are many ways to implement the set. But for complicated embedded system, no way.

Comment

So you're saying copy/paste won't work? :D

Comment

I saw guys who were breaking almost any hardware they can get hands on. ;)
                        ... Yes, custom signal processors.
                        ... Yes, not knowing the instruction set
                        ... They even build harware debuggers to do that (It is when you push a button, processor stops, and you can discover memory and register state).

p.s. Why do you think the BEST disassemblers made in Russia? ;)

Comment

Working...
                        X