Clear All

• Unusual Boat

Here is something that Gylnn sent me.

Can anyone throw some light?

hese pictures were taken in the Port of Ilwaco
    off the Washington State coast.
    The crew wore civilian clothes but guarded the boat closely
    and would not answer any questions.

It was suggested it may be something Boeing is working on.
    The pontoons appear to be made of very thick rubber and may be fuel cells.
    Note that each of the steel spider-like legs are jointed in three places.
    Perhaps the boat can be lowered in calm seas and raised when it is rough.

The boat had no name or number...

A friend who lives there said it arrived out of the fog the night before.
    The crew would not say who they were or where they were from,
    and were not allowed to discuss the craft.

Notice how the rear of the cabin can be lowered into the water
    but has a very small prop.
    Attached Files

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Maybe it's a "vehicle" to be used in the next James Bond movie.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Well, I could tell ya Ray but then I'd have to....;)

Actually it's a concept boat called the Antrim Cat. It's a 100 foot by 50 foot catamaran with inflatable hulls. Designed by Jim Antrim and built in Anacortes Wa. Twin diesel powered. The concept was originally patented by Ugo Conti.

The idea is that the hulls will conform to the ocean surface, and the cabin will stay above the action. The hull attachments are flexible, and act as giant shock absorbers.

It's a goofy looking sucker, lol.
      Attached Files
      "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

sorry but this boat will be great for middle east honeymoons.
        or even some "cough" movie shootouts :P
        it looks real cool!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by joey View Post
          sorry but this boat will be great for middle east honeymoons.
          or even some "cough" movie shootouts :P
          it looks real cool!!!!!
          Yeah, the second unit director of the next James Bond movie would have a ball with that boat. It would make some terrific scenes and not be a mock up of Sea Shadow (which is stowed in Benicia, California right now in a floating dry dock at the end of a row of ships waiting to be torpedoed).

Comment

January 30, 2007 Last November we wrote about a extreme experimental boat that had been seen in U.S. waters and at that time, little was known about the amazing spider-like water craft. Now we can lift the lid on the machine, based on an original concept by Ugo Conti of Marine Advanced Research. The appropriately named Proteus (Proteus was an early sea-god capable of changing shape and assuming many forms) is the first of a new class of watercraft based on a patented technology that delivers a radically different seagoing experience. Wave Adaptive Modular Vessels (WAM-V) are ultralight flexible catamarans modularly designed to allow for a variety of applications and to fit the requirements of specific users, missions or projects. Unlike conventional boats that force the water to conform to the their hulls, the WAM-V adjusts to the surface of the sea, with the superstructure flexibly connected to specially designed pontoons by several components that actually move in relation to one another. Springs, shock absorbers and ball joint articulate the vessel and mitigate stresses to structure, payload and crew. Two engine pods, containing the propulsion and ancillary systems, are fastened to the hulls with special hinges that keep the propellers in the water at all times. The modularity of a WAM-V allows the payload to be switched with a different one in less than an hour. In most versions, the payload is a self-contained craft that can lower to the surface, detach and operate under its own power. The switchable payload module effectively changes the WAM-V into an entirely different craft in less than an hour. Some examples of possible payload modules include a luxury cabin for two, cruising accommodations for six passengers, twelve passenger transport, a scuba diving platform or an emergency response unit.

The engine pods are mechanically separate from the main hulls and can be switched to other pods with a different propulsion system. Alternatively, two sets of identical engine pods keep the vessel operational at all times, even when engines have to be serviced or repaired.

The WAM-V can be built in different lengths to match specific applications; can be custom designed and built for easy disassembly so that all parts can fit into standard containers.

The WAM-V has ocean-crossing capabilities with a range of up to 5,000 miles. Very low fuel consumption, low draft, minimal wake even at high speed and soft hulls make the WAM-V technology environmentally friendly.
            Attached Files
            "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Proteus?

I worked on a submarine tender named USS Proteus (ASR-19) some years back. It was appropriately named for all the structural changes made to her using different technologies of ship design.

The original ship was mostly riveted seams and butts with only a few welded butts. When an aluminum deckhouse was added, the old method was used of welding a steel coaming to the deck and then riveting the aluminum bulkheads with corrosion resistent steel rivets. The surfaces between the aluminum and steel are "insulated" with one coat each of 117 primer, 2 coats of Yellow Chromate primer and two to three layers of vinyl tape.

Then 44 feet was added to the middle of the ship for stowage of Polaris missiles. That "jumboization" section was all welded construction while the fore and aft portions of the hull were still the old riveted style.

Then I was tasked to design another aluminum deckhouse to be mounted aft. But the joint between the aluminum and steel was the new bi-metalic material that is aluminum on one side and steel on the other. Therefore, all welding and no rivets.

One really wierd thing was left from the hull lengthening. Two decks up from the main deck, there is a watertight door in the transverse bulkhead. But no landing and no ladder. "Watch that first step".

Presently she is tied up in Siusun Bay, California with the rest of the other ships awaiting cutting torches or bombing practice.

Except the ship at her starboard side--USS Iowa awaiting a museum site.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                Proteus?

I worked on a submarine tender named USS Proteus (ASR-19) some years back. It was appropriately named for all the structural changes made to her using different technologies of ship design.
                The "Old Pro"... what a pig-sty the last time I saw it.

I'm working in the laundry which is on the second deck all the way aft, and it's a Friday afternoon and they announce to the sailors on clean up detail that they can have liberty as soon as they get the fantail cleaned up. Through the port holes I can see tool boxes, valves, anything not nailed down, even a large welding machine, get pushed over the side. These guys didn't want to wait to load up a Hyster skid and have the crane take it off.

Comment

A close friends now deceased father worked aboard USS Proteus as a machinist mate while she was still a sub tender in WWII. He gave me an ashtray his father had made during his time aboard instead of tossing it out. I didnt even think she was still afloat. I know she had mods done for missle replentishment but didnt think she was still around. Wow.
                  Last edited by Dreadnought; 21 Feb 07,, 20:23.
                  Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                    I didnt even think she was still afloat. I know she had mods done for missle replentishment but didnt think she was still around. Wow.
                    A couple pics of her in Benicia alongside Iowa.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Just a glancing shot of the bow of the Proteus as we were pulling away from Iowa on our first inspection last year.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Mr. L.
                        She looks like she is still in descenct condition. As well I notice that Iowa's top mast hasn't gotten very far from her. Surprisingly her paint looks good as well:)
                        Last edited by Dreadnought; 22 Feb 07,, 18:52.

Comment

Thanks, Mr. L.
                          She looks like she is still in descenct condition. As well I notice that Iowa's top mast hasn't gotten very far from her. Surprisingly her paint looks good as well:)
                          No, the mast has not gone very far. But it went in a lot of pieces and is going to be a b*tch to put back together.

You have congratulate MARAD for keeping up the paint. Every dime of excess overhead funding went into buying more paint for her. As a matter of fact, that's the only ship out there they have really made an effort to take care of.

For example, look at this hulk as we were going by to another anchorage to pick up some MARAD inspectors.

Ummm, yeah. That's me on the far left with the Battleship Program decals on my hard hat. When I retired, safety issue did not get that hat back.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I dont blame you one bit. I have no plans of returning alot of things that I am keeping in order to pass on to the "Post Dread Era";)

Iowa does look as though somebody cares for her.

Im assuming that the hulk in the picture is a future torp target among other new playthings the USN has these days.
                            Last edited by Dreadnought; 22 Feb 07,, 19:46.

Comment

Im assuming that the hulk in the picture is a future torp target among other new playthings the USN has these days.
                              I don't think it would hold together long enough to be towed out to a target area.

Comment

Working...
                              X