• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man Accused of letting wife drive van over cliff

Man accused of letting wife drive van over cliff
    Wife, who had been suicidal, died in crash but couple's daughters survived

Updated: 3:22 a.m. PT Oct 20, 2006
    STONY POINT, N.Y. - A man accused of allowing his wife to drive off a 300-foot cliff with their daughters in the family minivan was indicted Thursday on charges of reckless endangerment, promoting a suicide and endangering children.

Victor Han, of New York City, had pleaded not guilty to the same charges after his arrest in June. He did not enter a plea Thursday.

Authorities said Hejin Han, 35, drove the family’s Honda Odyssey off Bear Mountain, about 40 miles north of the city, just after her husband stepped outside the minivan on June 14. She was killed, but the children, 5 and 3, survived without major injury.

At the time, authorities alleged that Victor Han, an architect, drove the family to a scenic overlook, knowing his wife planned to kill herself. He was accused of getting out of the van and walking away while his wife got behind the wheel and drove over the edge.

In a deposition, Han acknowledged that he worried his wife was suicidal. But he said he got out of the van to take pictures and when he saw the vehicle moving he tried to stop it. He said that he called 911, ran down the embankment and rescued their daughters but that he could not revive his wife.

Of the charges he faces, the most serious is reckless endangerment, which can carry up to seven years in prison under conviction; promoting suicide is punishable by 16 months to four years, and endangering a child carries a maximum one-year sentence.

The children are living with family friends, and a New York City family court is determining whether their father can regain custody.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15342604/

Originally posted by Julie View Post
    Man accused of letting wife drive van over cliff
    Wife, who had been suicidal, died in crash but couple's daughters survived

Updated: 3:22 a.m. PT Oct 20, 2006
    STONY POINT, N.Y. - A man accused of allowing his wife to drive off a 300-foot cliff with their daughters in the family minivan was indicted Thursday on charges of reckless endangerment, promoting a suicide and endangering children.

Victor Han, of New York City, had pleaded not guilty to the same charges after his arrest in June. He did not enter a plea Thursday.

Authorities said Hejin Han, 35, drove the family’s Honda Odyssey off Bear Mountain, about 40 miles north of the city, just after her husband stepped outside the minivan on June 14. She was killed, but the children, 5 and 3, survived without major injury.

At the time, authorities alleged that Victor Han, an architect, drove the family to a scenic overlook, knowing his wife planned to kill herself. He was accused of getting out of the van and walking away while his wife got behind the wheel and drove over the edge.

In a deposition, Han acknowledged that he worried his wife was suicidal. But he said he got out of the van to take pictures and when he saw the vehicle moving he tried to stop it. He said that he called 911, ran down the embankment and rescued their daughters but that he could not revive his wife.

Of the charges he faces, the most serious is reckless endangerment, which can carry up to seven years in prison under conviction; promoting suicide is punishable by 16 months to four years, and endangering a child carries a maximum one-year sentence.

The children are living with family friends, and a New York City family court is determining whether their father can regain custody.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15342604/

I would saw the testimony of the 5year old will be important here. Did daddy just walk away or tried to stop the van when mommy took over. either way the man is getting a raw deal as I do not know of any law that make one spouse liable for the one time actions of the other. This state could also gone after the husband because he dared let his wife in the kitchen to make dinner. She could have poisoned the whole family or stabbed herself with a knife. The story said "he worrid his wife was suicidal" but there is no proof she was diagnosed as being suicidal.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

My question is.....based upon the above, should someone now commit John McCain or ask for his resignation?

I mean, he did publically say that he would commit suicide if Democrats took the Senate didn't he?

Where is the point that you take a suicidal threat serious?

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
        My question is.....based upon the above, should someone now commit John McCain or ask for his resignation?

I mean, he did publically say that he would commit suicide if Democrats took the Senate didn't he?

Where is the point that you take a suicidal threat serious?
        1)I'd be happy to beat the hell out of him myself, but he is not worth the trouble. But yes, he should be commited as The republicans take offence at the whole freechoice/suicide issue. We will see in a couple of weeks if he is a man of his word or just another lying politition.

2) That is the $64,000,00 question. Some are looking for attention, some are full of B.S., and others are serious yet we have no foolproof method of telling who is what.
        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
          That is the $64,000,00 question. Some are looking for attention, some are full of B.S., and others are serious yet we have no foolproof method of telling who is what.
          Exactly.....which is why this man should NOT have been held responsible for the mentality (whatever it was) of his wife.

The day a man has to be responsible for the insane actions of his wife, is the day man will lose his human supremacy. ;)

Comment

Working...
          X