The Stingray Are After Us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Stingray Are After Us

Once is a freak accident. Twice is getting to be too common. The sting rays are after us. Did I need one more thing to be concerned about? I am already worried that "IT" is running around outside with a hatchet and now this.

Man in critical condition after stingray attack in boat
    LIGHTHOUSE POINT, Florida (AP) -- An 81-year-old man was in critical condition Thursday after a stingray flopped onto his boat and stung him, leaving a foot-long barb in his chest in an accident similar to the one that killed "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin.

"It was a freak accident," said Lighthouse Point acting fire Chief David Donzella. "It's very odd that the thing jumped out of the water and stung him. We still can't believe it."

Fatal stingray attacks like the one that killed Irwin last month at the Great Barrier Reef are rare, marine experts say. Rays reflexively deploy a sharp spine in their tails when frightened, but the venom coating the barb usually causes just a painful sting for humans.

James Bertakis of Lighthouse Point was on the water with his granddaughter and a friend Wednesday when a stingray flopped onto the boat and stung Bertakis. The women steered the boat to shore and called 911. (Watch to see the speckled creature's face, stringy tail and what's happened to the victim-- 1:25)

Doctors were able to remove the barb during surgeries Wednesday and Thursday by eventually pulling it through his heart and closing the wound, said Dr. Eugene Costantini at Broward General Medical Center.

He said Bertakis' case was different from Irwin's because the barb stayed in Bertakis' heart and was not pulled out. Videotape of Irwin's last moments shows him pulling the barb from his chest. (Watch the surgeon's demo of what happened to Bertakis' heart and why the barb went deeper -- 12:03)

Bertakis was apparently trying to remove the three-foot-wide spotted eagle ray from the boat when he was stung, police Cmdr. Mike Oh said.

Ellen Pikitch, a professor of marine biology and fisheries at the University of Miami, who has been studying stingrays for decades, said they are generally docile.

"Something like this is really, really extraordinarily rare," she said. "Even when they are under duress, they don't usually attack."

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Find this article at:
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/19/stingray.ap/index.html
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Hm. I thought eagle rays were non-venomous.
    I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

How do they target the victims heart?
      A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Global warming caused the rays to surface and become more violent.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
          How do they target the victims heart?
          Yeah, I am not believing this freak accident thing either...I think it is about an intentional as it gets.
          "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

I think its either the Russian or Chinese training gone bad, they cannot build better subs, so they are attacking using stingrays.
            On a second thought, it may not be Russia or China, they like baywatch, so its prolly ALQ. Now the women will not bare their bodies in the beach anymore.

Victory, hurrah!!
            A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Does 'Voctorias Secret' make bullet proof (or rather Stingray proof) bikini?

Wait a minute, they attacked men both times
              Last edited by kams; 21 Oct 06,, 01:36.

Comment

Originally posted by kams View Post
                Does 'Voctorias Secret' make bullet proof (or rather Stingray proof) bikini?

Wait a minute, they attacked men both times
                Local Sporting Goods stores are having a land office run on Baseball Cups lately.
                Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Copycat attack.

It's obvious that stingrays are watching television. Or maybe just reading newspapers thrown over the side by careless boaters.
                  - Dennis
                  --
                  Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.
                  -Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

The Ray's sting is real powerful!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

The Stingray's have declared war on the humans.

Comment

Working...
                      X