Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anti/Counter-Sniper systems: How effective in the field?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What did you want to know specificly?

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
      What did you want to know specificly?
      Well there were two parts to the question:

#1 Can silenced sniper rifles with a subsonic bullet defeat this system.
      (this part no one addressed directly and the answer is still out there.
      I personnally think that it can, but no one has actually confirmed it)

#2 If so, then isnt there something better? I mean snipers can
      suppress a lot of troops, cause a lot of casualties. And if UN forces
      etc. are going to get he job done, they need a better system. So isnt
      there any system (or atleast in development) which uses radar instead
      of acoustics to detect an incoming bullet and its firing location?

Comment

U.S. technology has, indeed, produced a radar that can track a high-powered rifle bullet in flight, coupled to a computer that can pinpoint exact (within inches) point of origin, as well as point of impact, all while the bullet is in mid-trajectory. I don't know what they are doing with it, but I suspect that coupling it to a servo-operated 7.62 minigun, and using the radar to correct the aim, it would make sniping any unit equipped with one a VERY hazardous endeavour. Return fire within 2 seconds? Ouch!
        sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86
          What's a groin shot? Or do I not wanna know?
          They shoot you in the balls.
          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by 2DREZQ
            U.S. technology has, indeed, produced a radar that can track a high-powered rifle bullet in flight, coupled to a computer that can pinpoint exact (within inches) point of origin, as well as point of impact, all while the bullet is in mid-trajectory. I don't know what they are doing with it, but I suspect that coupling it to a servo-operated 7.62 minigun, and using the radar to correct the aim, it would make sniping any unit equipped with one a VERY hazardous endeavour. Return fire within 2 seconds? Ouch!

any word on this in any journal/magazine/publication/online site?

Comment

When does this system go into service?
              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Joy. So the first thing i shoot is the gizmo, or the gomer operating it.

Then it's business as usual. :)

Comment

And when they put it in an MBT or APC? Than what do you do?
                  Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Shoot it with an M-82. :)

Comment

I don't, in fact, know that such a system is operational. All I know is that they have the radar/computer stuff worked out. The coupling to a minigun has been speculated on by certain individuals in the industry.

Even with such a system, Snipers (particularly well trained ones like our buddy M21 here :) ) continue to represent a very real threat. What such a system does represent is a way to minimize the danger from self-proclaimed snipers of the 3rd world variety.
                      sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

See, what this counter is, and all defensive countermeasures are, is virtual attrition in action.

Let's take a typical mechanized(Bradley) squad(the only ones that will likely to have such a big bulky system).

You have 6 men.

Squad leader, M-4
                        Machine gunner, M-249
                        Grenadier, M-203
                        Grenadier, M-203
                        Anti tank gunner, AT-4/M-16A2
                        RTO/rifleman, M-16A2 and SINCGARS

OK, so who's gonna pack this system outta this bunch?

They can't. They're all already at full load out... and all of their equipment is necessary.

So, you have to add an attatched specailized unit for this anti-sniper gizmo. They'll need transportation, weapons of their own, expensive training to operate the gadget, and the gadget and mini-gun(if developed) AND minigun tripod assy(NOT a light item).

How much will all that cost?

Therefore, the presence of the sniper has ALREADY caused more attrition to the potential adversaries forces/treasure than a standard rifleman would do if he killed four tanks.

All without having ever fired a shot.

Virtual attrition is best exemplified by land based IADS and naval fleet AAW/ASW vessels.

Anything that detracts from your focus of (or funding for) killing the enemy/taking the objective, is virtual attrition at work.

Comment

Anything that means they're not shooting at you is good...

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                            See, what this counter is, and all defensive countermeasures are, is virtual attrition in action.

Let's take a typical mechanized(Bradley) squad(the only ones that will likely to have such a big bulky system).

You have 6 men.

Squad leader, M-4
                            Machine gunner, M-249
                            Grenadier, M-203
                            Grenadier, M-203
                            Anti tank gunner, AT-4/M-16A2
                            RTO/rifleman, M-16A2 and SINCGARS

OK, so who's gonna pack this system outta this bunch?

They can't. They're all already at full load out... and all of their equipment is necessary.

So, you have to add an attatched specailized unit for this anti-sniper gizmo. They'll need transportation, weapons of their own, expensive training to operate the gadget, and the gadget and mini-gun(if developed) AND minigun tripod assy(NOT a light item).

How much will all that cost?

Therefore, the presence of the sniper has ALREADY caused more attrition to the potential adversaries forces/treasure than a standard rifleman would do if he killed four tanks.

All without having ever fired a shot.

Virtual attrition is best exemplified by land based IADS and naval fleet AAW/ASW vessels.

Anything that detracts from your focus of (or funding for) killing the enemy/taking the objective, is virtual attrition at work.

hmm... yea good point.
                            Even the threat of the presence of enemy snipers
                            in the theater of operation is enough
                            to slow down the advance, while
                            hiking up the costs.

And even if this system becomes operational,
                            and is mountedd on APCs/IFVs or bunkers, the
                            sniper could still knowck off the sensor dome or
                            the system making it useless...

I guess snipers are going to remain a real threat
                            well into the next century.

Comment

I remember when the FLIR was to make snipers obsolete.

Now, 20 plus years later, they have only served to make us better through improved training and enhanced tactics.

If i had $1 for everytime some DATs drove right by me in their tank...never seeing the team...i'd have a few hundred bucks to go blow at the nudie bar. ;)

The OH-58D Kiowas were a lot trickier. They had REALLY good FLIRs and optics. They could and did find us. Not always, but you had to be leery of them. Formidable opponents.

Best to whack them in the FARP. :)

Comment

How effective would an M-82A1 be against an OH-58D Kiowa Warrior? Where would you have to shoot to get the easiest "kill"?

Comment

Working...
                                X