Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going Shopping, Can You Help Me?

Going Shopping, Can You Help Me?

Hello,

With the Assault Weapons ban expiring in Septmember I was thinking about doing some shopping for a new rife. I wanted to get something I could take deer hunting. I am looking for a sniper rife and I was wondering if any of you could recommend any good ones. I want to spend under $1000 and I want something that I could get with a bayonet and cleaning kit. I was looking at a Dragnov and I was wondering what others I should check out. I really like shooting military guns, I have a Chinese SKS and a Russian AK and now I want something I can go long range with. Do you gentlemen have any suggestions?

God Bless America and Protect Our Brave Young Men in the Services,

John James

Staff Emeritus
    Druganov is OK, but does not measure up to real sniper rifles.

Getting a good sniper rifle for 1000 dollars is not very realistic. Expect to pay at least 1500.

The Springfield M-1A is an excellent rifle, very similar to the US M-21 and M-25 sniper rifles.

A surplus WWII M-1D sniper rifle might be the cheapest way to go, i don't really know what they go for. The M-1A and M-1D both have-or can be fitted with- bayonet lugs.

Hello,

What are some good ones that use 7.62X39 ammunition and are around $1000 - $1500?

John James

Officer of Engineers
    Quote Originally Posted by John_James
    Hello,

What are some good ones that use 7.62X39 ammunition and are around $1000 - $1500?

John James
    RUGER-14, beats all the commie stuff hands down - provided that you use Winchester, Remington, Colt, etc ammo (ie high quality stuff and not the steel casing, corresive powder crap from the former commie block).

Quote Originally Posted by Officer of Engineers
    RUGER-14,
    I think it's the Ruger mini-30 that uses 7.62, I have a mini-14, it's 5.56. I like Ruger, good guns.
    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
    I agree completely with this Administrationís goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. Itís the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Officer of Engineers
    Quote Originally Posted by Confed999
    I think it's the Ruger mini-30 that uses 7.62, I have a mini-14, it's 5.56. I like Ruger, good guns.
    My mistake. I stand corrected.

Thank You Gentlemen,

Thank you for your input!!! I am wondering about the possibility of getting a Dragnov and having a gun smith resize it to take the 7.62x39 ammunition. IF and I do mean IF I bought the gun that is what I would probably end up doing to it. Do any of you have any ideas and or comments of the cost/effictivness of doing this?

God Bless America And Our Young Men In The Services,

John James

Staff Emeritus
    "What are some good ones that use 7.62X39 ammunition and are around $1000 - $1500?"

7.62x39 is a VERY poor sniping cartridge.

Take my word for it, i know a little about the subject.

I consider 7.62x51 to be the MINIMUM acceptable cartridge for sniping work.

I consider .25-06 to be nearly ideal for the sniping role.

Quote Originally Posted by M21Sniper
    "What are some good ones that use 7.62X39 ammunition and are around $1000 - $1500?"

7.62x39 is a VERY poor sniping cartridge.

Take my word for it, i know a little about the subject.

I consider 7.62x51 to be the MINIMUM acceptable cartridge for sniping work.

I consider .25-06 to be nearly ideal for the sniping role.
    Well said, personally i find the winchester 308 a decent round, yet they have been some problems with 7.62 one being the simple fact: high penetration, Low velocity..*Compared to 5.56 nato rnd

:(
    Otherwise, i am a 7.62 fan
    Last edited by Hawk_eye; 14 May 04, at 03:01.

Staff Emeritus
    The .308Win aka 7.62x51 does have a low muzzle velocity. If memory serves correctly the 147gr M118 cartridge has a muzzle velocity of 2650fps.

Not much of a temporarywound cavity compared to the earlier M193 5.56x45mm rd.

The newer M855 round is heavier(62gr vs 55gr) than the old M193, so has a lower muzzle velocity of around 1,850fps from an M-16A2 with a 1:9 twist bbl.
    So the M855 isn't all that great wrt the TWC either.

HKHolic Senior Contributor leib10's Avatar
    You ought to try an FAL or a G3. They're about $350-500, and accurate enough weapons for what you will probably be using them for, though not as good as Spingfield Armory M14-clones.
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Senior Contributor jame$thegreat's Avatar
    A friend of mine is intrested in buying a CHEAP 9mm have any ideas? i was telling forget it and get a ruger mini 14 or a glok because he wont be at the range very often, just something to fool around while his .44 is at the gunsmith

Get a Spanish Star pistol. They're only about $130 and they serve their purpose well enough.
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Senior Contributor jame$thegreat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leibstandarte10
    Get a Spanish Star pistol. They're only about $130 and they serve their purpose well enough.
    lookin for something a little more easily available like glok, beretta or ruger

Then expect to pay a lot more. Rugers usually go for about $250-$300. Glocks and Berettas are more expensive.

Thread Information