Should the US bring back the draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the US bring back the draft?

With the shortage of troops in the US military I was wondering if we should bring back the draft. Is it necessary or are a few people (including myself) just overreacting? I personally dont want the draft (as I would be elligable in 2 years). If we must bring the draft back I say we make people either join the military, law enforcement, fire/rescue, or nursing. When have we had drafts in history? 1862 - 65 and 1940 - 1975? Also, what major powers still have the draft system?

No we should never, ever have the draft. The draft is a non-option and should remain as such.

The problem isn't the lack of US forces but the unwillingness of US Commanders(influinced by annoying politicians of course) to use these forces. Fullujah is a perfect example.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202
      With the shortage of troops in the US military I was wondering if we should bring back the draft. Is it necessary or are a few people (including myself) just overreacting? I personally dont want the draft (as I would be elligable in 2 years). If we must bring the draft back I say we make people either join the military, law enforcement, fire/rescue, or nursing. When have we had drafts in history? 1862 - 65 and 1940 - 1975? Also, what major powers still have the draft system?
      If you think it is necessary, then you are overreacting.
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

I do not think you are overreacting. If the operations , the War in Iraq is not a war by defintion it is executive order , Iraq do not go well.
        I mean the plan that the Bush Administration had I follow up until after they have severed the head of the Iraqi government, removing Saddam Hussien from power.

I am curious what this plan is?

A multi national country is not bad. I.E. United States of America

Iraq is a country with 3 nations:

The Kurd's are to the north, which have acted automonously in the past. There is political pressure to not allow for the Kurd's to create a seperate country from the rest of Iraq because during civil wars in Turkey many Kurd's were killed. If the Kurd's are allowed to create their own country, then the Kurd's in Turkey may want to join such a country.

There are distinct religous differences in the Sunni and the Shiite. Also under Saddam Hussien's rule there was a dominant religion. So one religion got many more benefits than the other.

Please do not forget, that if a country invaded the United States, removed the existing government to make it better, would you be wary? What if the occupying nation was torturing citizens of the occupied nation. I.E. US soldiers torturing Iraqi's.

The United States was the aggressor in Operation Iraqi Freedom. If the United States was goin to Iraq with the Iraqi people in mind why were we not there about 17 years ago? Also why was the war justified with Weapons of Mass Destruction?

http://www.moveon.org/censure/caughtonvideo/

I believe the Iraq people are intelligent enough to put these facts together.

Operation Iraqi Freedom and any extenuating actions resultant of the "War on Terror", a concept that is self defeating, will require more troops if members of the Coalition keep pulling troops out and American soldiers keep dying. I think that there is a certain number of troops that the military believes to be acceptable, as the actual number of troops approaches this said minimum number of troops the pressure from the Military to enact a draft would increase.

Simply, I think the longer the USA has military persons deployed in active duty the more personnel it will require. If the military personnel become deceased the United States may be forced to enact a draft to hold or maintain military position.

They have not enacted one yet, though I think it is proper for a potential draftee to be concerned about a draft.
        Last edited by tw-acs; 02 May 04,, 04:01.

Comment

If there is a draft, the war is lost.
          No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
          I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
          even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
          He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

T-WAC's say the US becomes a Dictatorship and the rest of the western world has a free political and economic system. If they invaded the US and tortured Radical Christian's that want to create a new Christiandom(which by it's very nature will violate my rights) then I certainly would not be upset. If they tortured people loyal to the former dictatorship I certainly would not be upset. If anything I would want it to happen, I would want to seek retribution against thoose who would loot my property, kill my family and friends, and rip away my rights. Also I would actively persue people loyal to the former dictatorship and any militant religious cause and then give that information to the invading armies.

Your are trying to make me look at their way, by doing so you are hoping I will sympothize with their plight. You are doing this because you have no rational argument to present.
            Last edited by Praxus; 02 May 04,, 15:28.

Comment

Praxus , The All Knowing

Tell me, what else do I think?

Why do I think it?
              Last edited by tw-acs; 02 May 04,, 17:30.

Comment

Wow brilliant counter-argument.

Comment

Thank you.

See you are a seperate biological entity with a separate brain and nervous system. Therefore, you cannot know what I think and you cannot know why I think it. I do not understand why you have tried to tell me why I say things numerous times, though I have told each time that you cannot know what I think.

Why do you continue to try to tell what I think?

And if you are so determined to tell me what I think, then please tell me why I think it, too.

Honestly, I feel no need to counter your arguement because you do not have one. You took my post out of context and tried to tell me why I said what I said. As I have previosly stated, that is impossible.
                  Last edited by tw-acs; 02 May 04,, 18:45.

Comment

I suppose there is another reason you would say something like that?

If it is not to make me sympathize with them, then what is it. You just randomly felt like saying it?

There is no reason to say "what if the US was invaded".

It is not out of context, the statement is what it is, what it is.
                    Last edited by Praxus; 03 May 04,, 00:40.

Comment

To think about Iraqi people that have done nothing wrong is exactly what i meant to have you think.

Comment

“Also I would actively persue people loyal to the former dictatorship and any militant religious cause and then give that information to the invading armies.”

Just taking one part of your post but I am responding to the central idea.

Lets also say these nice invaders decide to prop up a puppet government to export your natural resources very cheaply. Lets say they accidentally kill thousands of civilians invading, raid your house looking for guns, raid your neighbors houses, arrest family members and friends, enter museums to take artifacts from military successes and give them back to a certain nation, continue to accidentally kill civilians by dropping bombs and firing rockets into crowed cities.

Oh yeah and let’s say they also decided it was time to make you buddy buddy with a long time enemy. And to top that off they do lewd acts to prisoners and take pictures of it. So now you are no longer a nation but a puppet state which has to tolerate foreign troops going around shooting people and of course controlling your economy, foreign policy and really day to day lives. And in return they turn the power they took off line back on.

Ask yourself why so many Iraqi’s are fighting…

Hell no one likes to be invaded and then occupied. We are not talking about liberating Belgium but occupying by force another nation. I’m shocked that other people are shocked that they are fighting. The Vietnamese army toppled Pol Pot (far worse then Saddam by far) by force in 1979 and for the next 10 years fought with not only his forces but also other groups (ANS for example). Same situation. I would not call the war in Iraq and Vietnam but more a Cambodia.

The war was a dumb idea and now this nation has to pay the consequences in money and lives…
                        To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Troung

I appreciate your post. I hope you continue to post like that.

Comment

Why do you peoples keep refering to the Operation Iraqi Freedom as a war?

Comment

Saying the Iraqi oil wells belong to every Iraqi is just as ludicress as saying my House belongs to everyone in the United States simply because we live in the same Geopolitical Area.

If said puppet Government protects my rights, then I would have absolutely no problem with it, afterall protecting my rights is the purpose of Government is it not?

Thoose people that the invading force would be "torturing" would be just as much my enemy as it would be the invading forces enemy.

The US should not be controling their economy, we should be privitizing everything, including the oil wells. But this needs to be done after a Government is established, but the Government needs to be based on these ideas (Capitalism, Republicanism, etc).

Our enemies in Iraq are nothing but irational nationalists who don't care about peoples rights as long as an Iraqi is in charge and then there are the Islamo-Fascist that want to create a Theocracy. Neither of which can be considered legitimit gripes.

Comment

Working...
                              X