• Show
Clear All

• Pacifist GI seeks refugee status

Pacifist GI seeks refugee status
    Peace groups predict Iraq war will spawn more desertions

Joanne Laucius, with files from Jennifer Chen
    The Ottawa Citizen

Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Jeremy Hinzman served with the U.S. army in Afghanistan, even as he pushed to be recognized as a conscientious objector. He balked at being sent to Iraq, fleeing to Canada just days before shipping out.
    CREDIT: Phill Snel, The Ottawa Citizen

Some U.S. groups predict Canada will see a new Vietnam generation after a U.S. soldier refusing to fight in Iraq claimed refugee status in Canada.

Jeremy Hinzman, a private in the 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment, fled Fort Bragg in North Carolina Jan. 2, bringing his wife and 18-month-old son, Liam, to Toronto only days before his regiment was scheduled to leave for Iraq.

Last Thursday, he filed papers with the refugee board.

While Mr. Hinzman is believed to be the only U.S. soldier seeking refugee status, organizations in the U.S. say the number of conscientious objectors in the ranks of the U.S. military are growing -- and some are looking to Canada.

More than 30,000 American draft dodgers sought refuge in Canada during the Vietnam War. Now, some believe the war in Iraq has sparked a new generation -- except these Americans have already volunteered to fight, then reconsidered that decision.

"Canada was attractive during the Vietnam War. Americans are seeing it again as a reasonable community of people willing to provide sanctuary," said Marti Hiken, chairwoman of the Military Law Task Force of the National Lawyers Guild.

"More and more Americans will be coming into Canada," she predicted. "Our hope is that Canada will offer refugee status."

The North Carolina chapter of the Society of Friends, a group commonly known as the Quakers, helps run the nationally operated G.I. Rights Hotline.

In 2001, before the Iraq war, the hotline received 17,267 calls. In 2003, it logged 28,822 calls, an increase of about 65 per cent, said Chuck Fager, director of the Fayetteville Friends.

Last year, the Fayetteville Friends dealt with 256 inquiries about conscientious objector status. "This is obviously because of the Iraq war," he said.

Some believe objections to the war in Iraq have been compounded by resentment over the U.S. army's "stop-loss" orders, which have cancelled retirement for about 40,000 troops.

A group called Military Families Speak Out has gained more than 1,000 members since being established in 2002, said co-founder Nancy Lessin. Ms. Lessin said the group includes military families that have not spoken out against any other war or conflict until Iraq.

"We felt this war was about empire-building and oil. We did not want out loved ones used as cannon fodder."

The Central Committee for Conscientious Objectors got only about one application a month before the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. That has since increased to about one a day.

"Recruiters have recruited young men and women, making the army sound like job training or going away to camp," said lawyer J.E. McNeil, the group's executive director. "People joined the military without thinking it through."

Mr. Hinzman joined the U.S. army in January 2001, shortly after he married Nga Nguyen. He wanted a job and a shot at earning money for an education. But during his first days of basic training, he was shocked at the chant: "trained to kill, kill we will." It was like training a dog, he later reflected.

"I actually like some aspects of (military training). The people you work with become your family," he said yesterday. "When I started thinking about the big picture, that's when I started having some doubts."

Mr. Hinzman studied Buddhist meditation and in January 2002 he and Ms. Nguyen began to attend meetings of the Quakers.

In April 2002, Mr. Hinzman concluded that he would never be able to pull the trigger.

He turned in his conscientious objector application in Aug. 2002. But on Oct. 31, he learned that the application had been lost. He served in Afghanistan, mostly on kitchen duty.

While he was there, a hearing turned down his application after he said he would be willing to defend the airfield if it were attacked, but not play an active combat role.

Jeffrey House, Mr. Hinzman's lawyer, says the army is "forcing him to participate in a war that is unlawful according to international law."

If refugee status is denied, there are other options, he said, including a request that he remain in Canada on humanitarian grounds.

But Ms. McNeil says the option of coming to Canada is an "urban legend" these days.

"This isn't Vietnam. It isn't loosey-goosey. You can't just get landed-immigrant status," said Ms. McNeil. "It's not as easy to get a job. You could fake it before, but you can't do it now."

She points out that desertion is a felony -- and there are easier ways to get out of the army.

"For some of these guys, going AWOL is a better option. It will get you a bad discharge, but at least it's not a felony."

- - -

On the web for seven-day subscribers: Pierre Trudeau's cabinet decided in 1969 to welcome American military deserters into Canada during the Vietnam War over the objections of the immigration minister. Read an archival story.

www.ottawacitizen.com

© The Ottawa Citizen 2004

Copyright © 2003 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest Global Communications Corp. All rights reserved.
    Optimized for browser versions 4.0 and higher.

Can someone explain this to me in the ambit of the US ethos? I am curious about the psychology behind this and the social environment that permits it to happen.

If he didn't like what he is to do, he should ahve resigned. Why become a deserter?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

It would have been a dishonourable discharge (Ie Discharge with Disgrace) and it would not be done in time before he leaves for Iraq, which he doesn't want to do.

Personally, the man does not have a legal leg to stand on. What did he think he was doing when joined a jump unit? The fact that he went to Afghanistan and was ready to fight already disqualified him as a conceinous objector.

And I don't know how any lawyer can claim the Iraq War was an illegal War under International Law. At best, it is not supported by International Law but it is also not disallowed by International Law.

Comment

you have to think that the only reason you had so many deserters during the veitnam war was because they were drafted. but this guy if he didn't want to fight why join in the first place?
        two wrongs dont make a right but three wrongs do. ;D

join my games site

Comment

Thanks.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

This guy is a traitor in every sense of the word. He joined the Army and TOOK THE OATH *under* NO DURESS. HE BROKE HIS OATH WILLINGLY AND KNOWINGLY. Moreover, this was during wartime. He can be TRIED AND SENT TO THE GALLOWS.

As far as I am concerned, I don't give a shit about him. I just don't wanna be in the same room as him. To be fair, I did not serve in the military so that does not grant me the right to judge or hold him in contempt by military standards. But I do hold him by civilian standards. He does not deserve to get off easily.

Comment

What a traitor, why d0 we waste our tax money on such people?

Comment

Just so that you guys understand.

The Law is the Law, even in Canada. The man is due to his due process, as much time as it takes, which would be a hell of a long time, given how lawyers love to play their games.

Comment

i hate lawyers as much as traitors :flamemad
                  two wrongs dont make a right but three wrongs do. ;D

join my games site

Comment

may be he's scared of death, scared to leave his wife and new born son!!

If he's such a coward, he shudnt have joined the army. This is the reason why only selected epople enlist and thrive in defence forces. its not for all tom, dick and harry!
                    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

I have no problem with consciencuous objectors, but agree with comments already made - you don't become a conscientuous objector overnight so why join the army, or once your start having doubts, why stay in?

Obviously you can be assigned active duty overnight .....

With regards to conscripted soldiers, it is of course a little different, but even then desertion is a coward's way out. The honourable approach would be (assuming this is possible in the US) to refuse service as a conscientious objector when called up. That way you don't waste the Army's time and money, nor jeopardise your assigned unit in the field when you finally decide not to take part.

Of course, its easy for me to say all this, not being in the army and living in a peaceful country with no national service, nor likelyhood of conscription into the army.
                      at

Comment

The political climate also has changed here. Americans have the wrong idea about Canada. While we may not agree with the Iraq War, we hold no compassion for those refusing duty now that we have lost people to hostile actions.

To allow this ass wipe to stay would be an insult to our own people we have lost.

Comment

"Can someone explain this to me in the ambit of the US ethos? I am curious about the psychology behind this and the social environment that permits it to happen.

If he didn't like what he is to do, he should ahve resigned. Why become a deserter?"

It's so hard to say without knowing the guy, his situation, his experiences in afghanistan.

Could be he's a pussy....could be he's seen too much bloodshed, could have something to do with the pretty wife and 18 month old child, i dunno.

Whatever the case, he is not doing his duty, obviously.

If he were to request a discharge, it would likely be a chapter 13, under any number of guises. It would be either general under honorable conditions, or general under less than honorable conditions. At worst he might get a less than honorable(different than a Gen. under less than honorable).

To get a no-shit honest to goodness "Dishonorable" discharge you pretty much have to be convicted of murder or rape while in uniform.

Comment

You mean to tell me that this guy risks no jail time and no criminal prosecution?

*** SMACK MY FOREHEAD ***

We need to overhaul Refugee Status - why the hell are we even wasting time and money on this idiot?

Comment

Sniper,

If it was me or the laws here deciding, he would be up a gum tree.

But then we have a volunteer army and so I would not be the best person to comment.

All the same, he is a disgraceful idiot, if you don't mind my saying so.

I sure would be ashamed of him.

There was a guy, when I was commanding an unit, who was afraid of high altitude and pulmonary oedema. He didn't want to go to the post [his defendend locality]. He was otherwise a brave chap.

Still he went home.

Maybe I was harsh. Maybe I was wrong.

Honestly, I cannot live comfortably with this moral dilemma.

I sure would be happy to learn from you all. Maybe I could then make peace with myself or stew in hell.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                              X