No announcement yet.

Landmine Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember helping a Sgt rig a simulator to a tree one time that had a bad fuzing device. He had me hold the thing on the tree in place while he set the tripwire. I remember saying over and over "DONT LET IT SLACK!!!"

Woulda went off in my hand.

Comment

LOL, man I bet you were this close to wetting your pants.

Geez, I simply luv these kind of stories.

Comment

I remember reading an article sometime back about making mines more safer. Its very much useful for sudden conflict and then ceasefire.

The fuse is time sensitive, it worns out after 90 days or some thing like that, so it wont go off and can be easily removed. I'll try to find the article!!
        A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

btw, intresting theory for this....

The magnetic mine — as distinct from the more familiar floating contact mine (the one with the spikes, familiar from the movies) — lies in wait on the sea bottom. A ship passing tens of metres above (unless 'degaussed') distorts the normal Earth's magnetic field enough to trigger the mine.

Comment

Holy $hit...read this...

http://www.darpa.mil/ato/programs/SHM/index.html

Only the well-funded geniuses at DARPA would describe their creation of hopping, networked explosives as "Self-Healing Mines."

No, the mines don't fit prosthetic limbs to maimed victims. So where does the Mine, Heal Thyself bit come from, then? It refers to the mines' "self-healing" ability to regroup by jumping up to 30m at a time and reform a solid wall after a tank, for example, has penetrated a minefield.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/5/30225.html

:YIKES!

Comment

How'd ya like to clear a field of those OOE?

LOL....

Comment

"LOL, man I bet you were this close to wetting your pants."

I was not a happy camper, but our squads flank was exposed, and we needed it 'mined'.

It was pretty cool watching the BLUFOR scout plt. dismounts trip it the next morning at about O' dark 30, lol.

The NCO field judge strode right over to 'em and announced in a booming southern drawl, "You're a bunch of dead sonzabitchess", lol. :)

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                  How'd ya like to clear a field of those OOE?

LOL....

Actually, not that hard. If I can see the mine, I can neutralize it.

All this means that I would need multiple line charges instead of a single lane. Three line charges and effectively, the minefield disarm itself for us. The point here is that the minefield will try to keep a satisfactory density to ensure blockage. However, with reduced mine numbers, the density obviously become less and less dense.

It would come a point where there simply would not be sufficent mines to give sufficent density to stop a column at all locations.

Wheras with previous buried mines, even with line charges, I can never be sure that I detonated them. Thus, I must continue with a bulldozer to clear all buried and tossed mines.

With this system, if the mine doesn't move to cover a new density, it's already dead.

We thought of this way back in the 80s and re-seeding the minefield with aerial disbursal mines was a better solution.

Comment

Colonel,

How do you keep a minefield record of aerial disbursal mines?

We have to keep a Minefield record with layout and type of mines, landmarks, perimetre fencing etc etc.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                      Colonel,

How do you keep a minefield record of aerial disbursal mines?
                      You don't. Modern aerial systems have a time delay expiry in which the mine becomes inert, usually 72 hours.

Comment

Very high 'dud' rate though.

Not all of them work like they're advertised.

Comment

But the bad guys don't know that or at least not which ones. In any case, I just want to slow them down enough to let you have a chance at them.

Comment

How long can mines last till their charges or explosives degrade to the point of being inert or ineffective to induce explosive power?

Comment

Never. You can render the trigge inoperative but the explosives will last forever or beyond when nobody cares.

Comment

So the rate of decay is longer than the span of a couple generations?

Comment

Working...
                                X