Kidd Class vs Sovremmeney Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kidd Class vs Sovremmeney Class

I was reading an interesting article about the KIDD class on FAS, I was wandering how it stacks up to the Sovremmeny Class?

I think Taiwan aquired the KIDDs, and the Chinese have a few Sovremmenys.

The Kidd(NTU) is a superior warship in nearly every possible way.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
      The Kidd(NTU) is a superior warship in nearly every possible way.
      Except it's very dead against 8 Sunburns

Comment

Can someone post the specs on both ships? I tried finding them online and couldn't
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86
          Can someone post the specs on both ships? I tried finding them online and couldn't
          there is an info about Sovremenny (project 956) class:

Power plant: 2 turbines 50,000 hp each, two shafts
          Length: 156.5 m
          Beam: 17.2 m
          Draft: 5.99 m

Displacement: standard - 6500 t, full - 7940 t, max - 8480 t.
          Speed: max - 32.7 knots
          Range: 1345 nm with max speed, 3920 nm with 18 knots, 4500 nm with 18 kn. and max fuel load

Armament:
          2 x 2 - 130 mm multipurpose gun (type AK-130), 2000 shells
          4 x 6 - 30 mm AA guns (type AK-630), 16000 shells

2 x 4 SS-N-22/Sunburn ("Moskit") missile launchers
          2 x 1 AA SS-N-7/Gadfly missile ("Hurricane"/"Uyragan") launchers, 48 missiles

2 x 2 - 533 mm torpedo tubes
          2 x 6 - anti-submarine rocket-propelled dc launchers (type RBU-1000), 48 dc

2 decoy dispensers with 200 rocket-propelled decoys

Aircraft:
          1 Ka-27/Ka-28 or similar.

Combat systems:
          Radar (Air search): Top Plate 3D, D/E-band
          Radar (Surface search): 3 Palm Frond, I-band
          Radar (Fire-control): 6 Front Dome, F-band (for SA-N-7 control); Kite Screach, H/I/K-band (for 130 mm gun control); 2 Bass Tilt, H/I-band (for 30 mm gun)
          Weapons Control: Band Stand, datalink for SS-N-22; Bell Nest, 2 Light Bulb, and 2 Tee Pump datalinks
          Sonars: Bull Horn ("Platina" or "Platina-S") and Whale Tongue, hull-mounted, active search and attack, medium frequency

Comment

Thankx. do you know where I can find that stuff about the Kidd?
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

here for example http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/ddg-993.htm

Comment

Thankx dude. Appreciate it.

Comment

Thankx dude. Appreciate it.
                  np :D

Comment

There kinda old right?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202
                      There kinda old right?
                      Which ones? Chineese ships are very new. Taiwaneese Kidd's - I don't know

Comment

According to that Link u sent me before, the Kidd's were built before/during the Iranian revolution in 1979

Comment

According to that Link u sent me before, the Kidd's were built before/during the Iranian revolution in 1979
                          Oh, I see. I thought that they will be buying a newly built ones or something.

After your post I've found that they are buying Kidd, Callaghan, Scott and Chandler.

Those are very old. Maybe not very, but old.

Comment

According to FAS, they have all been decommissioned already.

Comment

The Kidd's were designed as multirole warships and have MUCH better AAW capability than the Sovremney after the NTU update.

Given the Kidd's capacity of 68 SM-2MR(70 mile range) missiles, and inner defenses of 2 Phalanx and 5" guns, a Kidd is far more likely to survive an attack against 8 Sunburns than a Sovremney is against 68 SM-2MR's and 8 Harpoons...

Kidd has vastly better ECM/ECCM and much, much better sonar.

Even today Kidd's are among the most powerful warships afloat. The Chinese have no counter for them in the Strait.

Comment

Working...
                              X