Poll: Best ancient, medieval militaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Best ancient, medieval militaries

Nominate one for both ancient (pre 500 A.D.) and medieval (~500 A.D. - ~1300 A.D.)

Examples for ancient would include Romans, Spartans, Persians, Chinese, Germans, Goths etc.

Examples of medieval armies would include Byzantines, Arabs, Turks, Franks, Chinese, Mongols, Persians, Vikings etc.

You can write up an explanation why.... and you can base you judgment on how good the average soldier was, the legacy of their conquests, the power of their entire military, their accomplishments, etc.

Ancient: Roman
    Medieval: Franks

I will post my reasons why later :) Let's hear what you think :)
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

pre 500 AD I would say the Persian Empire and after 500 AD I would say Vikings(only because I'm half Norwegian).
    Last edited by Praxus; 23 Jan 04,, 03:52.

Comment

I'd say Romans for the Ancient, based on the extent of their conquests and the longevity of the empire. For medieval, I'd say Byzantine. They held out for several centuries against a succession of opponents. They were the bulwark of Eastern Europe against the spread of Islam. Both the Romans and Byzantines made war in a scientific manner. The other possibility for the Middle Ages would be the Mongols under Genghis Khan.
      "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." - Emiliano Zapata

Comment

Ancient: Assyrians and Romans
        Medieval: Romans (Byzanties) and Mongols

Comment

Romans, Mongols

Comment

Yes, let us not forget the mongols, or the huns. I feel that the warriors of the First Crusade deserve special mention. WQehter they were overly brutal or not, it was still an amazing feat of arms.
            Ain't No Rocket Scientists In The Firehall

Comment

do the macidonians count? as ancient

medieval i would say the normans (i cant believe i said that)
              two wrongs dont make a right but three wrongs do. ;D

join my games site

Comment

Ancient: Romans
                Medeival: Turks

Comment

Romans, Byzantine
                  "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character. Our citizenship in any particular state is only our local distinction. By the latter we are known at home, by the former to the world. Our great title is AMERICANS…" -- Thomas Paine

Comment

The tribes of the steppes: Scythians, Huns, Mongols, and Turks.

Sedentary civilizations did not have a military answer to their tactics until the Age of Gunpowder.

Comment

Originally posted by Broken
                      The tribes of the steppes: Scythians, Huns, Mongols, and Turks.

Sedentary civilizations did not have a military answer to their tactics until the Age of Gunpowder.
                      Was it before or after the AoG that the Turks too Constantonople?
                      "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character. Our citizenship in any particular state is only our local distinction. By the latter we are known at home, by the former to the world. Our great title is AMERICANS…" -- Thomas Paine

Comment

Ancient – Rome
                        Because they were very, very good at sticking a sharp pointed metal implement into the bodies of their enemies. At the same time they were supremely adaptable. As the need arose they became master engineers, and road builders. Also in spite of the fact that the core of their armies was based on the infantry, they became the leading sea power in the Mediterranean Basin, and in time developed their own heavy cavalry the Catahapacts, simply by borrowing designs and tactics from their erstwhile enemies like the Carthaginians and Persians. All for the simple reason of making them more efficient in sticking sharp pointed metal implement into the bodies of their enemies.
                        They used this basic skill to found an empire that lasted almost 1500 years. And whose legacy we still reap benefits of today.
                        Medieval – The Vikings
                        Partly chauvinistic because I’m of Danish descent, but also because like the Romans they were very good at what they did, and they too left an indelible mark across most of Europe. As warriors they were the best in Europe for 4-500 years. Their ship building techniques were centuries ahead of their time. Skilled agriculturist and blacksmiths, explores and surprisingly enough traders. Their settlements had a great impact on the development European culture. In northern France they intermarried with the locals and in time became the Normans. In Russia they did the same and became known as the Rus and founded some of the first Russian kingdoms including the one at Novgorod. Theirs ships ranged as far east as the Black Sea and as far west as to North America
                        When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

ancient rome because of the reasons above

the Mongol empire, because although very short lived they conquered an enormous area and lead directly to the Russian and Chinese empires
                          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Veni Vidi Vici
                            Was it before or after the AoG that the Turks too Constantonople?
                            After. What I mean by Turks are the original nomadic steppes tribes which conquered Asia Minor. They became a sedentary (though still quite aggressive)civilization long before Constantinople was taken with the aid of cannon.

The Mongols used Chinese cannon in 1258 at the seige of Baghdad. However, this was 30 years after the death of Ghengis Khan, and the Mongols were becoming a bit sedentary themselves.

It wasn't cannon which ended the tactical supremacy of the steppes tribes, it was European infantry firearms. The Sioux indians also fit the pattern of the steppe tribes, nomadic horse archers, but it was too late for them. The Americans were well equiped with firearms.

Comment

Originally posted by Broken
                              After. What I mean by Turks are the original nomadic steppes tribes which conquered Asia Minor. They became a sedentary (though still quite aggressive)civilization long before Constantinople was taken with the aid of cannon.
                              oh. I see. Thanks :)

Comment

Working...
                              X