Favorite War Movies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Beast is a GREAT movie.

Big Red One didn't have 'bad' effects, it's just really old.

That's a great movie too.

Comment

PS....enemy at the gates SUCKED. :(

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
        Big Red One didn't have 'bad' effects, it's just really old.
        It was considered a "B" movie and the effects weren't bad, but they weren't great. ;) I'd really like to see what they could have done with a major budget.
        No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

I hate how they try and turn these war movies in Chick Flicks, such as Pearl Harbour and Enemy at the Gates.

Comment

"It was considered a "B" movie and the effects weren't bad, but they weren't great. ;) I'd really like to see what they could have done with a major budget."

Big Red One had two major stars in it.

I'm not sure you could consider it a "B" movie.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
              Big Red One had two major stars in it.

I'm not sure you could consider it a "B" movie.
              The Big Red One is a low budget movie, made by the famous "B" movie writer/producer Sam Fuller. To the best of my knowledge the low budget part makes it a "B", not so much the actors, writer or producer. (Take the Jay and Silent Bob movie, no budget but a boat load of stars, would you call it an "A" movie?) From what I've read the budget was supposed to be much higher and the movie around 4 hours long! If there is ever a 4 hour director's cut, I'll be one of the first in line to get it.

BTW, I like the Jay and Silent Bob movie too. :dbanana
              No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
              I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
              even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
              He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

saving private ryan and black hawk down were the best i've seen with 'the green berets' in close second
                two wrongs dont make a right but three wrongs do. ;D

join my games site

Comment

Film

The Beast! V. difficult to get for ages after 9/11. Das Boot (series +film). Cross of Iron, Stalingrad (for those who don't like Enemy at the Gate), Patton, The Hill, The Lost Platoon (I think: The one with Anthony Quin in French Algeria), Ice Cold in Alex, Appocalypse Now, The Longest Day, In Which We Serve, Dam Busters (almost certainly edited for the fact the dog in it was called "******"), Where Eagles Dare, Black Hawk Down, The Duelists, Night of the Generals (or is that a thriller?), Waterloo, Starship Troopers, A Bridge too Far, Tora,Tora,Tora, Kelly's Heroes (you know you love it), Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Bridge over the River Kwai, The Great Escape, The Hunt for Red October, 28 days,
                  Kenneth Brannaghs Henry V and ZULU. And Dune. Yes it IS a war flick.
                  And so is Dr. Strangelove.

I'll shut up now. Sorry. And Thin Red Line was heartbreaking. Poor sod.
                  Last edited by The Chap; 27 Aug 04,, 06:02.
                  Where's the bloody gin? An army marches on its liver, not its ruddy stomach.

Comment

Jay & SB

Originally posted by Confed999
                    The Big Red One is a low budget movie, made by the famous "B" movie writer/producer Sam Fuller. To the best of my knowledge the low budget part makes it a "B", not so much the actors, writer or producer. (Take the Jay and Silent Bob movie, no budget but a boat load of stars, would you call it an "A" movie?) From what I've read the budget was supposed to be much higher and the movie around 4 hours long! If there is ever a 4 hour director's cut, I'll be one of the first in line to get it.

BTW, I like the Jay and Silent Bob movie too. :dbanana
                    AHHHHH but there almost is. Get the collectors edition. Tonnes of cuts availible to view, great comentary and actually worth the extra cash.
                    Where's the bloody gin? An army marches on its liver, not its ruddy stomach.

Comment

Originally posted by The Chap
                      The Beast! V. difficult to get for ages after 9/11. .
                      I had ordered the DVD before 9-11. I always thought it a was a great movie, whatever faults it had. I love the music at the end and during the credits. Very sad and haunting.
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Many.

But I found' A FEW GOOD MEN' most disturbing in some ways and yet, it portrayed the turmoil in the military mind!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Favorite War Movies?

my favo is:
                          saving private Ryan & black hawk down

Comment

Classics like;

The Guns of Navarone

and

The Great Escape

:)

Comment

Odd Angry Shot

Without a doubt, an Australian movie called Odd Angry Shot, a story about the Australian Special Air Service in Vietnam, it is hilarious in the way it shows comaraderie, relations with the Americans and every day life in the field, it also details the horrors of war and the reality of it all.

Comment

I love the smell napalm in the morning it has to be Apocalypse Now.

Comment

Working...
                                X