Russia to launch a pilot spaceship to Mars in 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia to launch a pilot spaceship to Mars in 2018

Anybody know the validity of this article?

Russia to launch a pilot spaceship to Mars in 2018

MOSCOW - Russian scientists have started constructing space ships of a new type. One of them will allow travelling to USA through space, another is to land in Gusev crater on Mars.

First type ship is named “kosmoplan”, or “space-glider”. The model tests were successful, the ship took off and landed in an appointed place, Izvestia reports.

This ship is a kind of analog to American shuttle, as it does not need rocket carrier and vertical launch. Kosmoplan, like an ordinary plane, can take off unaided from an ordinary air field, then, reaching speed fourteen thousand km/hour it goes to the Earth orbit, and finally lands at an ordinary air field again. It can carry loads and passengers. A kosmoplan flight from Moscow to New-York will take fifty minutes only.

Kosmoplan uses oxygen-hydrogen mixed fluid as fuel, its hull is made of very durable composite carbon material. This material is used now for Proton rocket hull.

Not much detail is reported about the second type space ship. The cost of the Russian Martian project is about $20 billion. The spaceship must be ready to launch in 2018 when Mars and Earth are in opposition, which means the closest distance possible between them.

http://www.russiajournal.com/news/cn...shtml?nd=42032
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

thanks for the info i was going to make a joke but this sounds cool.

:D :D :sniper :taynk
    two wrongs dont make a right but three wrongs do. ;D

join my games site

Comment

Considering the fact that Russia has relied on Pizza Hut funds and space tourists to keep their space program afloat as of late, I can't take it too seriously.

Comment

when the BBC had a thing about Bush's plans for space, they mentioned the Russians saying they could send men to Mars by 2014 at a cost of only 14 billion dollars...now either NASA has seriously exagerated the difficulty of sending people to Mars, or the Russians have no idea what they are talking about. I'm thinking its a little from column A and a little from column B.

Comment

yeah i would agree with you there. however who exacly got the first man made satilite up in space any way?

join my games site

Comment

An old joke with some validity,

In the early days of space explorations, the Americans discovered that pens don't work well in zero gravity. They spent a couple million dollars coming out with a pen that does.

The Soviets, faced with the same problem, used a pencil.

Comment

Hmm... I think I read that the invention of the zero G pen spawned a multi-million dollar business in in cartidge technology and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                An old joke with some validity,

In the early days of space explorations, the Americans discovered that pens don't work well in zero gravity. They spent a couple million dollars coming out with a pen that does.

The Soviets, faced with the same problem, used a pencil.
                lol i heard about that its class.

join my games site

Comment

Working...
                X