Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Row over Lucknow Catholic schools

Row over Lucknow Catholic schools

Roman Catholic schools in the northern Indian city of Lucknow have remained shut in protest against an attack on one of the city's premier schools.
    Hindu activists damaged property at the Loreto Convent girls' school on Sunday, after it organised a controversial occult show.

They accuse the school of trying to convert students to Christianity.

Loreto Convent has rejected the charge and says the show was organised to help children develop spiritually.

The controversy centres on a prayer session held last week, when a visiting spiritual healer claimed Jesus Christ had entered his body to bless those present.

Many of the students later said they were scared, and some of the girls even fainted during the session.

After this was reported by newspapers, activists of the youth wing of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) vandalised parts of the school, breaking flower ports and window panes.

Police arrested three people, but later released them on bail.

The state administration has ordered an inquiry into the incident and a report is expected in the coming days.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5335626.stm

Secularism is coming under serious threat again.
    I wonder if BJP was behind the Malegaon blast.

Comment

Originally posted by Neo View Post
      and sun rises from the west

Comment

BJP is not that stupid to organize terror blasts....... they have to be extremely stupid to cause such blasts because if they do, they will cease to exist as a political party... those terror blasts are being probed but IMO, I think we already know who benefits from the Malegaon blasts most... but neverthless, BJP and RSS are both fanatic assholes...
        Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
        -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Kashmiri Muslims shout anti-terror slogans during a protest against Friday's blast in Malegaon.

Children hold a banner in Kolkata as they attend a prayer meeting for the Malegaon blast victims.

Members of the Young Muslim Anti-Terrorist Committee burning some random flag during a protest against Friday's blast in Malegaon.
          http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/p...s?msid=1975487

Comment

I'm sure Loreto Convent girls' school would find some comfort in your post and feel safe again. :)

Comment

I'm sure Loreto Convent girls' school would find some comfort in your post and feel safe again. :)
              And what exactly are they afraid about???

Comment

Having a Pakistani talk about secularism, is like having a virgin talk about the sins of sex!

Why dont you have your Hudood law repealed, before talking big about women & safety.
                Last edited by Archer; 11 Sep 06,, 21:06.
                Karmani Vyapurutham Dhanuhu

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
                  BJP is not that stupid to organize terror blasts....... they have to be extremely stupid to cause such blasts because if they do, they will cease to exist as a political party... those terror blasts are being probed but IMO, I think we already know who benefits from the Malegaon blasts most... but neverthless, BJP and RSS are both fanatic assholes...
                  RSS is an avowedly hindu-centric organization, never made any bones about it..hence accusing it of fanaticism is pointless..its like calling the Shankaracharya or the Vatican fanatical, well they would be..though the correct term would be fervent..

BJP is hardly fanatical...its more of a "khichdi". It listens to the RSS (it has to - it relies on them to win it elections), but it has moderates like Vajpayee, to hardliners ..takes all kinds to be in politics..

The BJP is basically India's version of the Republicans..the Congress-I, democrats. Their external policies and internal ones are also remarkably similar in many respects.
                  Last edited by Archer; 11 Sep 06,, 21:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer View Post
                    RSS is an avowedly hindu-centric organization, never made any bones about it..hence accusing it of fanaticism is pointless..its like calling the Shankaracharya or the Vatican fanatical, well they would be..though the correct term would be fervent..

BJP is hardly fanatical...its more of a "khichdi". It listens to the RSS (it has to - it relies on them to win it elections), but it has moderates like Vajpayee, to hardliners ..takes all kinds to be in politics..

The BJP is basically India's version of the Republicans..the Congress-I, democrats. Their external policies and internal ones are also remarkably similar in many respects.
                    I don't like any political movement which favours a certain religion over another... just like the @sshole Akali Dals... These are Indian political parties and they should represent the common Indian people, not Indian people of only a certain religion..... and yes, Vajpayee is truly a very very good man but he is not leading the BJP anymore, its Advani a.k.a. Adolf Hitler...

Comment

Originally posted by SLASH View Post
                      Kashmiri Muslims shout anti-terror slogans during a protest against Friday's blast in Malegaon.

Children hold a banner in Kolkata as they attend a prayer meeting for the Malegaon blast victims.

Members of the Young Muslim Anti-Terrorist Committee burning some random flag during a protest against Friday's blast in Malegaon.
                      http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/p...s?msid=1975487
                      hats off to these people... they say it just like true Indians....

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
                        I don't like any political movement which favours a certain religion over another... just like the @sshole Akali Dals... These are Indian political parties and they should represent the common Indian people, not Indian people of only a certain religion..... and yes, Vajpayee is truly a very very good man but he is not leading the BJP anymore, its Advani a.k.a. Adolf Hitler...
                        Re: point #1- fair enough. But given the utter mendacity of dynastic politics which has ruined the Congress at the centre (and the death of its young leaders like Scindia,Rajiv, Pilot) - the BJPs admin was fairly decent, with the one black mark that they were unable to reign in the more inflammatory idiots & the utter law and order collapse in Gujarat (failed to prevent the attack on the train, failed to prevent the rioting thereafter, failed to prosecute the rioters effectively).

Re: bold portion: You do realize that when you make comments heavy on the hyperbole it promptly leads to more flaming? Then you'll have people come in and yell at you and the whole thread gets sidetracked & there are misunderstandings galore (as with starsiege & others).

Comparing Advani to Hitler is a joke. Advani is conservative in his views but he has never advocated genocide or implemented anything of the like. So be rational please. I am no fan of Advani (I think he is a blowhard ie gasbag), but one must be circumspect in their views. When we start comparing anyone & everyone we dislike (for whatever reason) to Hitler & the Nazis, it devalues the poor evil the Nazis reflected and serves to muddle the issue.
                        Last edited by Archer; 12 Sep 06,, 04:17.

Comment

I don't like what happened in Lucknow. My sister has studied in Loretto Convent, so I know about the school. At the same time I do not condone the seanse held during the school assembly. What irks is the method used by the BJP.

The Sangh Parivar is creating an atmosphere that we can do without. By tolerating such political groups the judiciary and the govt are making a mockery of this nation and its constitution.
                          Last edited by lemontree; 12 Sep 06,, 09:45.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

why should RSS youth wing attack a convent ?????
                            is it for politcal reaons? or publicity ?? .......
                            NO,there has to be some solid reasons why a school was attacked by RSS youth wing ....we should see both sides of coin before commenting .....

In a country like INDIA where religion is a Hyper sensitive issue we can expect more of such incidents in the near future ....

when education becomes a medium for proselytzing activites naturally tension will flare up..... education and religion should always be kept apart ...

Comment

This is a highly condemnible action but I do take comfort at the thought that India is secular enought that Christian girls don't get kidnapped, raped and forced to convert to another religion like what is prevalent in a neighbouring country
                              Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Working...
                              X