Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WAB Announcement: New Admin and vBulletin Upgrade!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WAB Announcement: New Admin and vBulletin Upgrade!

I wish to make two announcements -

1) New Administrator at WAB!
    I am pleased to announce the appointment of TopHatter as an Administrator here at World Affairs Board (WAB) effective immediately. The administrative duties at WAB continue to grow and with Gio and Iron Duke not being around as much at the present time we need another solid member to add to the administration team.

The entire moderation team are all doing an outstanding job at moderating the board and I don't think much is going to change with TopHatter in this new role apart from him taking on a few extra responsibilities and getting a new colour of title.

2) Upgrade to vBulletin 3.6.0
    We have upgraded the vBulletin installation here at WAB to the latest 3.6.0 release which introduces several bug fixes, security updates as well as a few new features as well. E.g. AJAX posting interface, multi-quote etc.

The real benefit of the new version are on the moderation side though with the new infraction system which will allow us to handle warnings and bannings far easier and hopefully lighten the moderation load slightly. Not that we like banning people though. We hope to get this all running over the coming weeks.

I am also hoping that this new version of vBulletin will help to cut down on a lot of spammers / bots that we have had singing up recently.

As a result of this upgrade we have had to remove the "WAB Dark" skin as it is no longer compatible with this version of vBulletin. There wil no doubt be a few other things we need to work out as well.

You can view a full list of all the benefits and new features introduce by this upgrade in the official release announcement for vBulletin 3.6.0 at: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194072

Thank you for reading!

- Chris

Ahhhh!!!! Nooooooo, I like the dark skin
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      I am pleased to announce the appointment of TopHatter as an Administrator here at World Affairs Board (WAB) effective immediately.
      Thanks Chris, I really appreciate it. :)
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Free cheetos for everybody now ?? !

Congrats !

Hey, I have to sign in every time even though I don't sign out when I leave. Where's my cookies?
        Last edited by Julie; 08 Sep 06,, 02:07.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          Ahhhh!!!! Nooooooo, I like the dark skin
          Me too. Getting a headache... :(
          No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
          I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
          even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
          He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Hey I have a question Mr. Hotsy Totsy Admin Guy (directed toward TH, not you Chris )...

How come we cannot see the list of members?

Not that it is important enough for me to ask that it come back, don't really care myself except that I was looking for some entertainment here at 2:18 this morning (Two more nights then I go back to days next Friday and I will not have to search for fun at all hours of the night for approximately 5-6 weeks).
            "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal View Post
              How come we cannot see the list of members?
              Well, there are some extremely aggressive e-mail harvester spam bots out there.

And we'd prefer to keep our member's e-mail and other information secret. :)
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Must we have to wait a decade before they are declassified?

Can't we use the Right to Information Act? ;) :)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                  Can't we use the Right to Information Act? ;) :)
                  Nope, because spammers don't have the Right to our Information. :)

Comment

Draconian!

Dollar Imperialism.

Capitalist hound!

Hey! why haven't you guys brought the American flag? How can this protest go on without the grand finale of burning the US Flag and why the hell are the rest of the demonstrators knocking off Coca Cola and Big Mac?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you guys!!!!!!

;) ;)

:) :) :)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I also think it is a pity that we can't see who the other members are or the country in which they currently reside. Is it not possible for such limited information to be posted? Remember the Duke of Wellingtons remark "Publish or be damned"!
                      Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                        I also think it is a pity that we can't see who the other members are or the country in which they currently reside. Is it not possible for such limited information to be posted? Remember the Duke of Wellingtons remark "Publish or be damned"!
                        you still can see the information that each member has included in their profile buy clicking on their name in whatever random post they have posted in and then selecting "view public profile". There is just no master list that one can use to obtain everyone's information at one time.
                        "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

[QUOTE=TopHatsLiberal;270450]you still can see the information that each member has included in their profile buy clicking on their name in whatever random post they have posted in and then selecting "view public profile". There is just no master list that one can use to obtain everyone's information at one time.

[COLOR="Blue"]Thank you, dear heart. I have been ploughing (plowing) through the members introductions listing (and noting that many have left us) but your suggestion is even better. To hear is to obey!/COLOR]
                          Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn
                            Thank you, dear heart. I have been ploughing (plowing) through the members introductions listing (and noting that many have left us) but your suggestion is even better. To hear is to obey!
                            *gasp* A gentleman who takes what I say and adds the word "obey" to it...I could get used to this!!!

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                              Well, the member listing never gave country of origin anyway.
                              That information (as THL mentioned) has always - and only - been in the Member Profiles.

I agree that the member listing was a very nice thing to have, but it was also nice for spammer's to use.

Comment

Working...
                              X