Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AlpErTunga View Post
    Gallipoli War ( Dardanelles War )

It is the most weird and greatest murder. The distance between enemy lines decreased till 0,5 meters. Turks gave Turkish tobaccos and good bread to the British soldiers and British soldiers gave chocolate to the Turkish forces. Both side fought bravely and over 500000 people were killed during the war officially.
    We ANZACS and you 'Johnny Turk's" had, and still have, the greatest respect for each other as soldiers. Loads of stories of good will in the trenches at ANZAC cove. But lets not be mistaken, when the war was raging it was totally ruthless..... Respect. Have you seen the Australian movie Galipolli by George Miller?
    No sea too rough, no muf* too tough.

Comment

• Battle of Sarikamis. Dec 1914-Jan 1915.

What a disaster!!!

Comment

• Battle of Haldighat
        The Battle of Haldighati

Final Battle of Saraighat
        Battle of Saraighat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rezang La
        Men of Steel on Icy Heights
        Rezang La - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Saragarhi
        Battle of Saragarhi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        Defending Saragarhi, 12 September 1897
        Last edited by Archer; 19 Jan 07,, 07:26.
        Karmani Vyapurutham Dhanuhu

Comment

• for me there are two TORA TORA TORA and the battle of midway

Comment

• The Battle of Isurava 26-29 August 1942 -

I think this would make a great movie

The Battle of Isurava 26-29 August 1942 -
            AUSTRALIA'S THERMOPYLAE

1,100 Australian Diggers faced the might of 10,000 of Japan’s best combat experienced troops, in their drive to take the strategically important town of Port Moresby – this would become the Battle of Isurava.

In this battle, ‘my personal hero’ Pte Bruce Kingsbury, of the 2/14th Battalion was to become the first Australian to win a Victoria Cross on Australian soil.
            Bruce Kingsbury was credited with preventing a Japanese breakthrough when –
            During the morning of the 29th Aug 1942, C Company had also been repeatedly subjected to human wave attacks in its right forward position facing Deniki. The Japanese had mounted these attacks with such ferocity and determination that C Company had suffered heavy casualties, and there was a real prospect of a Japanese breakthrough that would imperil all of the Australians at Isurava. A platoon from the A Company reserve was called upon again to prevent the Japanese overrunning C Company's position, but in fierce fighting this platoon also suffered heavy casualties. Sensing victory, and with no apparent regard for their heavy losses, the Japanese continued to storm the C Company position in wave after wave, and the situation for the Australians remained critical. With the survival of the two Australian battalions at Isurava now under serious threat from a Japanese breakthrough, Lieutenant Clements of C Company gathered men for another counter-attack that was to be led by Sergeant Bob Thompson from Headquarters Company and Private Bruce Kingsbury from A Company.
            Private Kingsbury had taken a Bren light machine gun from Corporal Lindsay "Teddy" Bear who had been wounded while leading an earlier desperate counter-attack in defence of the C Company position. When another wave of Japanese stormed the C Company position, Kingsbury called on his comrades to follow him. Firing his Bren gun from the hip, Kingsbury charged through a storm of fire towards the approaching line of Japanese troops. Kingsbury's charge broke the Japanese line and they fled back into the jungle. As his comrades caught up and gathered around him, a Japanese sniper's bullet cut down the gallant private.

1st Picture
            The official relief of the 39th battalion on 6 September 1942 at Menari is one of the most famous images from the Kokoda Campaign. The exhausted survivors of the 39th Battalion are parading at Menari after the Battle of Isurava before their proud commander, Lieutenant Colonel Ralph Honner. Out of the original 409 members, there were only about 180 of the battalion left to parade and about a quarter of these were sick or wounded.

2nd Picture
            VX19139 Pte Bruce Steel Kingsbury V.C. (1918-1942)
            Bruce Kingsbury was a member of 7th Section of the 9th Platoon, in the 2/14th Battalion which in 1945 was described as the most highly decorated Section in Australian and British military history.

Regards
            Pioneer
            Attached Files

Comment

• I have one I REEEEEEEEEEALLY want to see. I would love to see a movie about Constantine XI and the final seige and fall of Constantinople.
              Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Hit Often...

Comment

• Operation Pedestal.
                For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

• Conquest of Istanbul. I really would like to see it because I cant think the transaction of ships from the ground!
                  sigpicaction speaks louder than words

Comment

• Originally posted by snc128 View Post
                    Conquest of Istanbul. I really would like to see it because I cant think the transaction of ships from the ground!
                    LOL, I already said the Fall of Constantinople. :P

As far as the "transaction," are you referring to Mehmed II moving some of his ships over land to get into the imperial harbor?

Comment

• Originally posted by maximusslade View Post
                      LOL, I already said the Fall of Constantinople. :P
                      no matter, I second it.

As far as the "transaction," are you referring to Mehmed II moving some of his ships over land to get into the imperial harbor
                      yeah, just could not find the right words :)

Comment

• My question for you, Snc, is from who's point of view would you like the story to be told? The conquering Ottomans? The defending Byzantines? Or some third party observation?

Comment

• Originally posted by maximusslade View Post
                          My question for you, Snc, is from who's point of view would you like the story to be told? The conquering Ottomans? The defending Byzantines? Or some third party observation?
                          certainly, by showing concurrent scenes from both sides.
                          sure, there would have been many heroic stories to be told by both sides!
                          I also would like to watch the preparation before the battle and the consequences, applications after the war.

the same question is for you!?
                          beside these, what else would you like to see in a this kind of a battle film?

Comment

• I'm not totally certain. I think I may want the story to focus more on Constantine and Giovanni Giustiniani. I might like a brief overview as to how the once mighty Byzantines got to the point they were in, but I think I would like the focus to be on the two defenders and the last defence of the city. Personally I think the actual events leading up to the battle and events during the battle are more than enough really good material to use for a movie. There would not be any need throw in some stupid love story or any of the other ways Hollywood ruins movies. Think about it. The Emperor, a man who loves his people, city, and religion defending it against all odds. He is outnumbered at least 10 to 1, the enemy has cannon that pounds his walls into dust, he is alone, no help is coming (except that of Giovanni), he defends his city for a month, his little naval victory, the final push, and his charge into immortality. THAT is what good stories are made of, no matter how sad the ending. On another note, I think it would be awesome to see a CG Constantinople. If you'd like to see one, Byzantium 1200 is an awesome site.

Comment

Working...
                            X