Discovery vid: Iowas greatest warships ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RustyBattleship
    Actually ALL of the Iowa's are my "Babies". They were then and still are. Still working on my report of the 3 day inspection I did of the Iowa last month. But trying to attend to my wife in a leg cast that she cannot walk on is taking up time and thought. Writer's cramp I guess. I have the materiel condition report done but I still have to do the museum conversion report (suggestions).

Good thing I had some of my old team with me to do most of the climbing. For some reason those ladders get steeper as they get older.

Psst Dick anyway to get a look at Iowas report? :) Nah not writters cramp more impotant things like the Misses.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 05 Sep 06,, 21:02.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Still working on my report of the 3 day inspection I did of the Iowa last month.
      I guess if you're working on the 3 day inspection report with the same fervor as you do on the infamous "book" then you should finish about Christmas...... :) BTW, how is the book coming along? Is it true you're going to bring it to the "picnic" so that people can skim through it?
      Last edited by Ytlas; 05 Sep 06,, 22:10.

Comment

Originally posted by RAL's_pal?
        I guess if you're working on the 3 day inspection report with the same fervor as you do on the infamous "book" then you should finish about Christmas...... :) BTW, how is the book coming along? Is it true you're going to bring it to the "picnic" so that people can skim through it?
        The book is complete. But I can't afford to get it published. I'm on a retirement annuity, remember?

I'll bring the appendices that most people like to thumb through such as the graduate apprentices and the dry dock record (thanks to you). I don't think anyone there would take the time to read about the German Crane or Operation Wigwam or Sealab II. And the chapters on Battleship reactivations and Battleship class problems would be horribly boring.

They might be interested in the roster of all the pilots and CPOs assigned to Reeves Field Naval Air Station of Roosevelt Base. Got a lucky buy on ebay with that one.
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

The book is complete. But I can't afford to get it published. I'm on a retirement annuity, remember?
          Tell you what Dick, when our office pool wins the lottery, I'll make sure it gets published. ;)
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I was giving your book a plug. You never know when someone visiting the message board might have some connections. It pays to advertise....

Comment

I was giving your book a plug. You never know when someone visiting the message board might have some connections. It pays to advertise....
              If I had. You would have. ;)
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Thanks old friend. I can use all the help I can get. But the delay has been a blessing in disguise as I often find better photos than I had before. I found one of the USS Wilkinson (DL-5) the day before undocking when we built the first steel bulbous bow Sonar dome. Found another of the Iowa pulling into dry dock one, then called the world's largest dry dock. Finally somebody traded me some air view pictures of the Nevada in dry dock. Wonder who that was.

Comment

Found another of the Iowa pulling into dry dock one, then called the world's largest dry dock.
                  Funny thing you should mention DD 1. Today I was going over this large book of 8x10's I put together from various negatives I've located over time. Anyway, it turns out I have about a half dozen pictures from the dredging to the laying of the concrete for DD 1. I also have a couple of shots of a floating DD inside DD 1 or 2 (I forget...)
                  Last edited by Ytlas; 07 Sep 06,, 05:52.

Comment

Hey cRusty, how did you like the one of the USS SLC, post Bikini? I figure I'll send one of these gems over every so often so that you'll have to constantly update........:)

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                      Iowa Class 'greatest fighting ships in history'
                      By what criteria (if there is any) ???

Comment

Watch the videos. Eight of the top ten are linked to in this thread.

Criteria off the top of my head:

Firepower
                        Protection
                        Longevity
                        Fear factor

And there's one other criteria i don't remember. Ease of construction maybe? I don't recall.

This is an ongoing series, they've already done the best fighter, best tank, best bomber, etc, etc, etc.

If you don't like the results Email Discovery channel, cause according to them these ranks were given by a 'panel of experts', and i was not one of them. ;)
                        Last edited by Bill; 09 Sep 06,, 01:38.

Comment

Originally posted by RAL's_pal? View Post
                          Hey cRusty, how did you like the one of the USS SLC, post Bikini? I figure I'll send one of these gems over every so often so that you'll have to constantly update........:)
                          Pretty neat, but she is also missing both of her smoke stacks. Her fore and aft polemasts bent over do make her look funny.

Since she was one of the target ships, she was never brought into LBNSY. Observation ships outside the atoll returned periodically for repairs or upgrades. When I was on the Restoration Advisory Board (after retirement) I got a list of all the Long Beach based ships used in both Operation Crossroads and Operation WigWam.

But all target ships (that didn't sink right away) were sent to other shipyards or towed further out to sea or another island and then sunk.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                            I got a list of all the Long Beach based ships used in both Operation Crossroads and Operation WigWam.
                            I used to stop by the OSHA building a lot on the way back to the shop, and in Code 106.3 they produced a list of Long Beach homeported ships that took place in those operations and the results of the radiation tests that were done on them. I wish I would have made a copy of the paperwork. Interested in more things so I can make fun of your former photo lab?
                            Last edited by Ytlas; 09 Sep 06,, 04:49.

Comment

Originally posted by RAL's_pal? View Post
                              I used to stop by the OSHA building a lot on the way back to the shop, and in Code 106.3 they produced a list of Long Beach homeported ships that took place in those operations and the results of the radiation tests that were done on them.
                              So what did they do with the ships that didn't sink during the Bikini tests? Tow 'em back to Long Beach and tie them up at the pier?

No need for night lights
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Shipwreck View Post
                                By what criteria (if there is any) ???
                                In the "secondary" aspects, the various units of the class are arguably at the top of the historical heap.

Comment

Working...
                                X