No announcement yet.

The Crusades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "...that it was the Moors who inoculated the Christians with a belief in Holy Wars, as an essential part part of their religion." -- Christianity and Islam in Spain 756-1031, by Haines, p.155

Comment

• Hey Kansas Bear,

It's not my intention to say that the Crusades were more or less evil than other wars of the medieval world. There is every reason to believe that Urban II was deadly serious about his conviction that the Crusades was a divinely sanction war against a heathen foe to protect Christiandom. There are also signs of Muslim aggression that imply the basic accuracy of his perception of events. However, I refuse to view the Crusades as more or less than a bygone war fought between great powers for bygone concepts of morality.
      All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
      -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

• Originally posted by Triple C View Post
        Hey Kansas Bear,

It's not my intention to say that the Crusades were more or less evil than other wars of the medieval world. There is every reason to believe that Urban II was deadly serious about his conviction that the Crusades was a divinely sanction war against a heathen foe to protect Christiandom. There are also signs of Muslim aggression that imply the basic accuracy of his perception of events. However, I refuse to view the Crusades as more or less than a bygone war fought between great powers for bygone concepts of morality.
        i thought that was my talking point?

Comment

• Originally posted by Triple C View Post
          Hey Kansas Bear,

Urban planned to use the First Crusade to bring the Byzantines into the Catholic Church. There was strategic calculation alongside the high-minded stuff.

Comment

Working...
          X