Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impaled biker pops the question

Impaled biker pops the question

PILOT MOUNTAIN, North Carolina (AP) -- As soon as a group of fellow bikers pulled the handlebars out of his abdomen after his motorcycle crash, Brian Shipwash wanted to do one more thing in case he died.

So he reached into his pocket and pulled out a small box, broken and blood-spattered, with a ring inside and asked Shandra Miller to marry him.

She said yes.

"I said, 'Shandra, the reason we were going to Pilot Mountain today was so I could propose,"' Shipwash said Monday while recovering in his room at a hospital in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

"I said something like, 'I know this is not the best time in the world, but will you marry me?"'

Shipwash, 32, was riding his Harley-Davidson up Pilot Mountain on Sunday afternoon with Miller hugging his back.

As they came to a curve, Shipwash lost control, crossed the center lane and slammed into the side of a pickup. The collision sent the couple flying. The handlebars on Shipwash's motorcycle stuck 6 inches (15 centimeters) into his abdomen.

"I was crying at the time because of the wreck," Miller said. "But when I saw it (the ring), I just started crying even more."

Among those who stopped to help were about 10 bikers on Harley-Davidsons who pulled the motorcycle off Shipwash.

Shipwash suffered no injuries to any major organs, breaking his left hand and right leg. He was in good condition Tuesday.

Miller, 29, said she suffered only a sore knee.

Neither the pickup driver nor his four passengers were injured. No tickets were issued.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/12/31/off....ap/index.html
Working...
X