X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Jobless Recovery?!

Jobless claims fall to near 3-year low

Data offer hopeful sign about employment market

WASHINGTON - New claims for jobless benefits fell last week to the lowest level in nearly three years, a sign that America’s businesses are feeling more confident that the economic recovery is genuine.

The Labor Department reported Wednesday that new applications filed for unemployment insurance dropped by a seasonally adjusted 15,000 to 339,000 for the week ending Dec. 27. Last week’s drop marked the third week in a row that claims went down and left claims at their lowest level since Jan. 20, 2001.

The latest snapshot of the labor market suggested that businesses may be feeling less inclined to hand out pink slips to workers as the economy shows signs of gaining traction.

“There is clearly reason for optimism that we are getting on a significant job-generation track,” said Ken Mayland, president of ClearView Economics.

The report was better than economists were expecting. They were forecasting a smaller decline that would have pushed claims down to a level of around 350,000.

Claims have been below 400,000 for 13 consecutive weeks, something economists view as a sign that the fragile labor market may be turning a crucial corner.

The more stable four-week moving average of claims, which smooths out week to week fluctuations, decreased last week by 6,500 to 355,750, the lowest level since Feb. 10, 2001.

New claims hit a high this year of 459,000 in the middle of April and have slowly declined, a development cited by Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan and other economists who say the pace of layoffs is stabilizing.

The labor market has displayed other signs of improvement in recent months. The nation’s unemployment rate currently stands at 5.9 percent — down from a high this summer of 6.4 percent.

But job growth has been slow.

Since Bush took office, the economy has lost 2.3 million jobs, a development that Democrats hope to use against the president as he seeks re-election in 2004. The Bush administration contends that stronger economic growth will eventually lead to more meaningful job creation on a sustained basis.

The uncertain job climate is on Americans’ minds.

Consumer confidence dipped in December amid anxiety about the job market, the Conference Board reported Tuesday. The board’s consumer confidence index slipped to 91.3 in December, following a surge in November to a revised figure of 92.5, its highest level in more than a year.

Economists believe the labor market will be the last part of the economy to recover even as the economy expands solidly.

The economy grew at a breakneck 8.2 percent annual rate in the third quarter, the best performance in nearly two decades. Analysts believe the economy slowed to a rate in the range of around 4 percent or 5 percent in the current quarter, which would still mark a solid showing.

Wednesday’s report also showed that the number of unemployed people collecting jobless benefits for more than a week rose by 81,000 to 3.3 million for the week ending Dec. 20, the most recent period for which that information is available. This suggests that jobs are still hard to find for some workers.

Economists believe that as companies’ profits improve they will feel even more comfortable about ramping up investment and hiring new people, two crucial ingredients to the recovery’s staying power.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3846164/

Macro-economics 101: employment numbers always lag behind economic growth (GDP). Factor in that companies are getting more productivity out of fewer employees, jobs moving overseas, etc.
    As long as the economy stays the course, unemployment numbers will continue to drop, though slowly.

regards
    seekerof

Comment

Jobless recovery???

Rich get RICHER Poor get poorer

The strange thing is you are not rich.

Comment

I can't find enough good people, construction is so busy down here. The part that really burns me up about working here is Workman's Comp. It's insurance for workplace injuries and disability, but it's only for work hours and it costs twice as much as getting the same coverage 24 hours a day from a private company! If I could go private, I could hook my guys up with no deductable insurance and a 10% raise. Sad there are people willing to require everyone to put their health into the hands of the government at twice the cost and 1/10 the service.
        No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Whats sad is there are so many Americans that do not realize that the Bush Administration is not about America and promoting America's its ideals. The Bush Administration (Neo Con) is for personal gain,

through imperialism.

We are in Iraq why??? Imperialism!! PETROLEUM!!!

Another sad thing is that fact that we are exporting too many jobs. Sure it may cost the business less to pay workers that do not have the labor standards we have in the USA.

So those rich executives can get more money.

The problem with this is the United States is losing its manufacturing base.

During war time. Actual war time not Bush's bully tactics. The United States of America would not be able to produce the goods necessary for its survival.

If this doesnt raise any concern to you, are you an American or a terrorist. I.E. Bush does not care about this.

Then you see Bush propose allowing all illegal aliens with jobs to become citizens and future aliens to become citizens if they have jobs.

That would suck up all the shit jobs. And the young American trying to build a resume would have a much more difficult time finding work.

And with the loss of jobs. A lot of Americans have too much pride especially after 9/11 to go on unemployment (welfare).

If Bush's illegal alien proposal goes through then Americans that get laid off because of their jobs being exported cannot even get a shit job to scrape by.

It is sad to see that so many Americans are blinded by ignorant patriotism ( something called patriotism but it really isnt). If you look at the actions of the Bush Administration you can see countless flaws in there plans. They compromise the stability of our country.

Comment

Just in case you're talking to me, I'll save you some time.
            Attached Files
            I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
            even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
            He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
              Just in case you're talking to me, I'll save you some time.
              :LOL I'm pretty close to joining you. He doesn't even address the argument. He just has one point and that is that conservatives are evil people. And then of course there is stuff like this:

A lot of Americans have too much pride
              Sorry for having too much pride. :roll

Comment

I don't want to be mean to the guy and he has every right to believe whatever he wants, I just don't want to hear it. I'm not sure why he'd want to read my posts either.

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
                  I don't want to be mean to the guy and he has every right to believe whatever he wants, I just don't want to hear it. I'm not sure why he'd want to read my posts either.
                  Well said. :clap:

Comment

I'm pretty close to joining you. He doesn't even address the argument. He just has one point and that is that conservatives are evil people. And then of course there is stuff like this:

quote:
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    A lot of Americans have too much pride
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for having too much pride.
                    I did adress the arguement. You do not like my apporoach. Thats fine then ignore me.

I have never once said anything about conservatives being evil.

This is just like the reason i stopped posting on this forum.

And with the loss of jobs. A lot of Americans have too much pride especially after 9/11 to go on unemployment (welfare).
                    Taking a post and then using words in it to create a post but, taking the phrase out of context.

I was talking about people not wanting to go on welfare. And too much pride is bad. Do not be so full of yourself.

Quite simply, this is the United States of America and I would be very ignorant to not inquire what persons on different points on the political spectrum thought.

Comment

Originally posted by tw-acs
                      I did adress the arguement. You do not like my apporoach. Thats fine then ignore me.

I have never once said anything about conservatives being evil.

This is just like the reason i stopped posting on this forum.

Taking a post and then using words in it to create a post but, taking the phrase out of context.

I was talking about people not wanting to go on welfare. And too much pride is bad. Do not be so full of yourself.

Quite simply, this is the United States of America and I would be very ignorant to not inquire what persons on different points on the political spectrum thought.
                      So I'm ignorant and full of myself. And you wonder why people ignore you.

And if what you are saying about conservatives is true, then conservatives would be evil. So you don't have to say "Conservatives are evil" to get your point across.
                      Last edited by Leader; 09 Feb 04,, 05:24.

Comment

LEADER

I remember making a post on a thread; I was speaking to the term "evil," denoucning its use in the politcal realm. For its definition is too broad for expressing coherent human thought in a way that could repeated by another person, however as you and many persons like the using terms with vagueness in the realm of politics.

Is that a strategy to confuse the voters into thinking politicians are speaking about the same thing with the same intent and same plan. Though when you ask each politician how they define certain terms pertinent to the meaning behind their words, they generally each have their own defintion.

Please define evil.
                        And all other terms within the definition.

So I'm ignorant and full of myself. And you wonder why people ignore you.
                        I was talking about how I would be ignorant. I was talking about myself. If you choose to apply my logic to yourself and your thinking then good for you.

In that case, great, because the first step to getting better is admitting you have a problem.

Obviously you do not ignore me. I do not wonder why persons may choose to ignore me. I inquired do you ignore me leader. Your response is proof you do not ignore me.

Thank you for explaining to me what I think and what my points mean.
                        Errrrr
                        Wait thats your interpretaion of my posts. So you are saying all conservatives are evil if the things I have said are true.

Though you must be selective in which posts of mine you recall.

I said that a conservative congress person said that the Neo Cons ( NEW conservatives ) are out of line. Thus I do not think all conservatives are evil, I do not recall saying any person was evil.

That sounds more like persons trying to counter my posts and saying persons like Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden are evil.

In such case I have asked for the definition of "evil."

It was provided except it also classified the United State's ACTIONS to be evil.

Comment

Who are you guys talking to? :taynk
                          Your look more lost than a bastard child on fathers day.

Comment

Working...
                          X