SU-30MKI or F-15K?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SU-30MKI or F-15K?

Judging by the articles I've read, the F-15K seems to be slightly superior electronically while the Su has a more than slight edge when it comes to ACM's.

If you were a small country that could only afford one of these fighters, which would be your choice?

(Some people I deeply respect when it comes to military matters says they prefer the F-16 block 60s over these two)

Which is a superior platform?

F-15's and Su-30MKI's are air superiority fighters... the F-16 isn't...
    Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
    -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

and I don't even think the F-15K is even out or fully operational yet... it would be like comparing an already fully made product with a product which is still in development... I don't think its feasible to compare a development project with a fighter which is already flying...

Comment

I think the S.Koreans have some F-15Ks by now.

The F-15SG singapore birds are even better, but i think they're being built now, so none've been delivered(im really not sure, i dont remember the delivery schedule of the deal).

I'd definitely take an F-15SG over an SU-anything.

Comment

Just my two cents, but I think that anyone who actually had the choice between a Flanker derivative and a F-15K would be a fool to take the Flanker. You can sit here and argue stats and technical points all day, but in the end when you get offered a F-15 its not just the plane that you are buying. You are also purchasing the goodwill of the US. There is not a single F-15 customer in the world that the US wouldnt back in a fight. In the end that should be the deciding factor. There is a tendency to not consider the political side of arms purchases and I think that is wrong.

Comment

Against the K? The MKI is a better bet, imho in many ways. Mostly Air to air.
            Air to Ground, the MKI still has nothing like the JDAM/ GPS guided series of PGMs that the US is churning out.

Against the SG, its a fair bet. Either aircraft has some advantages/ disadvantages vs the other. But what must also be factored in is that the MKI is a "program". The current MKI's are Mk3 standard, but nowhere near the complete run. They are to recieve further upgrades to their avionics and munitions in the coming decade as part of an effort to keep the technology current.
            Karmani Vyapurutham Dhanuhu

Comment

Originally posted by HKDan
              Just my two cents, but I think that anyone who actually had the choice between a Flanker derivative and a F-15K would be a fool to take the Flanker. You can sit here and argue stats and technical points all day, but in the end when you get offered a F-15 its not just the plane that you are buying. You are also purchasing the goodwill of the US. There is not a single F-15 customer in the world that the US wouldnt back in a fight. In the end that should be the deciding factor. There is a tendency to not consider the political side of arms purchases and I think that is wrong.
              That is a ridiculous assumption, especially if you make such blanket claims!
              India for eg, has the option (at least currently) to get the US to sell it F-15 versions, but is unlikely to go for it, because these planes also come with the US veto over their employment as well as the US control over spares and logistics, which as past history shows, the US Govt, can often block legally.
              That makes reliance on US munitions, at least for some nations, somewhat risky. One can purchase the "goodwill" of the US (if getting goodwill was so easy, which is not), by splurging on Boeings other fine products, its 747's, 787's etc.

Comment

I've never seen the US offer India Eagles, let alone advanced Eagles.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                  I've never seen the US offer India Eagles, let alone advanced Eagles.
                  I had a talk with the Boeing Rep/s at a tradeshow. There was a USG suit (perhaps SD, wasnt Pentagon) also present. They were ready to offer Eagles - nothing so great in terms of tech in a K which dwarfs stuff in other boeing products eg a F/A-18 EF for instance, but it simply wouldnt match the IAF requirements, which were for a lighter class of aircraft.

Flankers and Eagles would burn a hole in the IAFs pocket something ferocious.

Basically, if the IAF were to ask for F-15s (not that they can afford only heavy fighters), they would probably get it included in the much delayed, mightily confused MRCA tender. From what I could discern F-15 C/E, even K- level F-15s are probably ok, but AESA ones (such as SG) could be be a totally different matter. IOW, Boeing etc have no problem in putting these latter ones up for grabs, but whether US export restrictions follow through on AESA are a different matter.
                  Last edited by Archer; 24 Aug 06,, 12:10.

Comment

Ive got to disagree with you there. You are right in saying that right now buying Eagles wouldnt be the best idea for India, but at the time that India was making its initial Flanker buy had the Eagle(probably E at that point) been available, it would have absolutely been the choice to make. The truth is that at point in time India didnt really have the option of buying American planes, now it would be a logistical nightmare to buy them and have an even more mixed fleet than the InAf already has. My point, perhaps poorly expressed, is that by buying American hardware, generally speaking you are gaining more than just the equipment that is delivered. I am also not trying to be unreasonable and say that the Flanker family are crap, they are not. American equipment is not always the best. SOme of it is far from that. But at the end of the day it is smart to buy it because of the added value.

Comment

Originally posted by HKDan
                      Ive got to disagree with you there. You are right in saying that right now buying Eagles wouldnt be the best idea for India, but at the time that India was making its initial Flanker buy had the Eagle(probably E at that point) been available, it would have absolutely been the choice to make. The truth is that at point in time India didnt really have the option of buying American planes, now it would be a logistical nightmare to buy them and have an even more mixed fleet than the InAf already has. My point, perhaps poorly expressed, is that by buying American hardware, generally speaking you are gaining more than just the equipment that is delivered. I am also not trying to be unreasonable and say that the Flanker family are crap, they are not. American equipment is not always the best. SOme of it is far from that. But at the end of the day it is smart to buy it because of the added value.

But Archer has a valid point, doesn't he?

The US sometimes can be a bit finicky in selling replacement parts and if i'm India or for that matter any other country, I think I'd have to think seriously hard if I'm going to buy american stuff even if they are better (which I'm not saying it is).

BTW.....does the Slam Eagle have Aesa? some reports says it does, some says it doesn't I really do not know.

And thanks for responding intellectually.

I really would hate for this thread to turn into "my penis is bigger than yours!" kinda thread. :)

Comment

Yes the K/SG variants both feature AESA radars. The K features the APG-63V2 while the SG variant features the APG-63V3 (that's actually the only difference between the two models).

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                          I'd definitely take an F-15SG over an SU-anything.
                          ofcourse you would... just like I would take an MKI over an F-anything... ;) lol... everyone loves their own stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by Archer
                            these planes also come with the US veto over their employment as well as the US control over spares and logistics, which as past history shows, the US Govt, can often block legally.
                            That makes reliance on US munitions, at least for some nations, somewhat risky.
                            yes... exactly... thats the major problem right there... last time the US even managed to ground our Harrier aircraft which weren't even bought from the US but simply used some spares from the US... so buying from the US means allowing strings to be attached to your actions... and trust me... there is nothing prestigious about becoming someone's puppet...

Comment

In the end, it comes down to training training training. Israelis throw a lot of focus on it, there are classes in IsAF in which ALL students fail because it is so hard. Indians have learned a lot from interactions with IsAF and were able to impress upon the USAF. Although in CopeIndia excercises, USAF was playing a simulated role of Pakistan AF.....at the request of InAF to gain confidence.

Comment

Working...
                              X