Alleged Money Laundering by Pak PM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alleged Money Laundering by Pak PM

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 E-Mail this article to a friend Printer Friendly Version

BB saved Aziz from money laundering case: Babar

NEW YORK: Major General (r) Naseerullah Babar has claimed that when he was interior minister he had issued orders to arrest Shaukat Aziz in a money laundering case, but then prime minister Benazir Bhutto stopped him.

“When Shaukat Aziz was working with Citibank, he was involved in a money laundering case. After investigation I issued directives to arrest him but Benazir stopped it saying that Mr Aziz is an American citizen and his arrest will create problems,” Gen Babar said at the launch ceremony of Sohail Warriach’s book, ‘Ghaddar Kon’ (Who is the traitor?) here on Monday.

He said politicians had always been targets of accountability, and it was now time for military generals to be held accountable. “President General Pervez Musharraf will come to know about the people’s problems when he leaves the presidency. The president has bought a plot worth five crore rupees (Rs 50 million) in the capital. How has a general got such a huge amount?” he questioned. He said the public would have lynched generals in the street had the Hamood-ur-Rahman Commission report into the Fall of Dhaka been published. “(Zulfikar Ali) Bhutto saved them,” he said. Gen Babar said that all political parties were agreed on the ‘Charter of Democracy’. sana
    http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...2-8-2006_pg1_8
    Who is this Sohail Warrach?

The charge that the current Prime Minister of Pakistan is a money launder is a very serious one. If true, it is very demeaning of Aziz to put Pakistan in a position to become the butt of international ridicule since only the lowest strata of the criminal class indulge in money laundering.

I personally wonder how far this is true. And yet the retired General was the Interior Minister and should be having facts to prove it so since he will surely be liable to defamation if not true! If no defamation case is filed, then it would prove that there is some truth to this most demeaning an allegation for a sitting PM.

Though the Pakistani army is paid handsomely and their perks limitless, Rs Five crores is a bit thick! No General could have that much. Therefore, if Musharraf has bought assets worth Rs Five crores and it is on the ground, I am sure he will have a lot of explanation to do.

He has also the problem in fudging that it was through ancestral money since Musharraf is a refugee because of the Partition (Mohajir) and his property and cash would be in India!

A very unfortunates state of affairs if indeed these allegations are true.

If not, this General Babbar should immediately be given defamation notices from the lawyers.

I wonder if Lahori and Sparten would like to clear the air.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Retd and serving Generals should keep their long noses out of politics, what ever said and done, even if the allegations are true.

Mushraff has made an unprecedented move by clinging back to his uniform after "democratically" chosen to be Pakistan's president.
    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
      Retd and serving Generals should keep their long noses out of politics, what ever said and done, even if the allegations are true.

Mushraff has made an unprecedented move by clinging back to his uniform after "democratically" chosen to be Pakistan's president.
      I don't agree.

Are you suggesting that corruption be condoned and retired Generals are to keep their mouths shut?

Pakistan is surviving because of the Army and they keep the country in line.

That is why they should not also become thieves like their civilian counterparts in politics!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Sir,
        I said that military should keep its nose out of civil politics.
        A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

OK.

That's fair.

My mind was on Aziz being accused as to have been a Dhobi (washerman/ launderer).

Surprising that Lahori has not thrown light on this. He would know.

Or for that matter, Sparten.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
            OK.

That's fair.

My mind was on Aziz being accused as to have been a Dhobi (washerman/ launderer).

Surprising that Lahori has not thrown light on this. He would know.

Or for that matter, Sparten.

Sorry Ray i have seriously no idea about this.

Btw "Ghadar Kon" as far as i know is Nawaz Sharif's book
            Nisaar main teri galiyon pe aaye watan, ke jahan
            Chali hai rasm keh koi na sar utha keh chaley

Comment

Thanks.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
              X