This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
    As for naval tactics, I'm not sure Nelson was the best.

Yi Sun-sin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Excerpt:

Admiral George Alexander Ballard of the Royal Navy considered Yi Sun-sin a great naval commander, and compared him to Lord Nelson of England:

It is always difficult for Englishmen to admit that Nelson ever had an equal in his profession, but if any man is entitled to be so regarded, it should be this great naval commander of Asiatic race who never knew defeat and died in the presence of the enemy; of whose movements a track-chart might be compiled from the wrecks of hundreds of Japanese ships lying with their valiant crews at the bottom of the sea, off the coasts of the Korean peninsula... and it seems, in truth, no exaggeration to assert that from first to last he never made a mistake, for his work was so complete under each variety of circumstances as to defy criticism... His whole career might be summarized by saying that, although he had no lessons from past history to serve as a guide, he waged war on the sea as it should be waged if it is to produce definite results, and ended by making the supreme sacrifice of a defender of his country. (The Influence of the Sea on The Political History of Japan, pp. 66–67.)

It is fantastic to learn about new names and heroes ...and indeed Yi SUn-si did extraordinary things.... but now look a bit more careful where and what he did:
    He operated in his own familiar waters (around korea) where he most optimally made use of bottle necks (many MANY narrow passages past rocky shores), (think of the 300 spartans holding off the persian mighty armies..).
    He is good...but he is not a "superstar" for that matter.

I like to think of a "superstar" admiral , one that is capable of winning victories on seas FAR beyond his own familiar shores, possibly staging invasions and hitting the enemy on land as well.
    (looks like that points to pirate flottilas).

And I have a nice contestant: Michiel de Ruyter.
    (and a dozen of other dutch and english ex-privateers that became official admirals).

So "the best" in this or that is not so easy to give... first ask yourself what would be the criteria to measure supposed excellence.

Cheers:)

Comment

Wow...almost 5 years!

I suspect kitties AND SWSNBN to show up!
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

And he used one of my old post to necro the damn thing.

Damn, I feel honored.....

Bring on the Canadian babe!!!

Woo Hoo....

Comment

Yes,but I was thinking about a thread about small unit leaders when this one popped up from the depths of wab.
          Those who know don't speak
          He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Hackworth's books, "About Face" and "Steel My Soldier's Heart" were fascinating, though.

The guy had many flaws and he did admit to being a hard headed bastard.

His exploits as a Wolfhound in Korea was a pure joy to read.

Umm....not that THAT has anything to do with this thread.

Comment

Ohhh guuuuuunnnnyyyy!!!!!
              Mark Twain

Comment

I'm sorry, Gunny can't come to the WAB at this time.

He's busy googling SNSD pictures to hang on his walls.

You're a mod, AR, do something.

Lock it......or sticky it until the Gunny or Dok posts some dead chick pics.

Comment

Fine, since you've asked so nicely...

Attached Files
                  Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                    I'm sorry, Gunny can't come to the WAB at this time.

He's busy googling SNSD pictures to hang on his walls.

You're a mod, AR, do something.

Lock it......or sticky it until the Gunny or Dok posts some dead chick pics.
                    That's what happens when you forget a suspect...
                    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

To quote DR Peter Venkmann....

"NICE SHOOTING, TEX!"
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Sorry, Benny.

Shouldn't have doubted you.

Comment

You misunderestimated me...

Comment

No I didn't.

This was all a part of my strategery.

Comment

You wanted to see zombie SWMNBN?

Comment

Duh!!!

Don't you????

Comment

Working...
                                X