No announcement yet.

They better hope the ceasefire holds...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They better hope the ceasefire holds...

Until Europe quits Effing around. If this ceasefire falters, there's not likely to be another one any time soon.

Bush: Rush peacekeeping force to Lebanon

By TERENCE HUNT, AP White House Correspondent 6 minutes ago

WASHINGTON -
    President Bush on Monday called for quick deployment of an international force to help uphold the fragile cease-fire in Lebanon. "The need is urgent," said Bush.

At a White House news conference, Bush also conceded that the war in
    Iraq, with daily bombings and U.S. casualties now standing at more than 2,600 was "straining the psyche of our country."

"Sometimes I'm frustrated. Rarely surprised. Wars are not a time of joy," the president said. "These are challenging times, and difficult times." He conceded that the war had become a major issue in this year's midterm congressional elections.

Bush opened his news conference — his first full-scale question-and-answer session since July 7 in Chicago — with a statement about humanitarian aid and an international peacekeeping force for southern Lebanon after 34 days of fighting.

"The international community must now designate the leadership of this new international force, give it robust rules of engagement and deploy it as quickly as possible to secure the peace," Bush said.

A U.N. cease-fire resolution has authorized up to 15,000 U.N. peacekeepers to help an equal number of Lebanese troops extend their authority into south Lebanon as
    Israel withdraws its soldiers. The U.N. wants 3,500 troops on the ground by next Monday, but so far, no European countries have stepped up with a large contribution of forces.

France, which commands the existing U.N. peacekeeping force in Lebanon known as UNIFIL, had been expected to make a significant new contribution that would form the backbone of the expanded force. But
    President Jacques Chirac disappointed the U.N. and other countries last week by merely doubling France's contingent of 200 troops.

"I would hope that they would put more troops in," Bush said of France's commitment.

He said the international force would help keep the militant Hezbollah organization from acting as a "state within a state."

"The United States will do our part," Bush said. While the U.S. does not plan to contribute troops, it will provide logistical support, command and control assistance and intelligence.

He said it was "the most effective contribution we can make at this time."

Bush also said his administration was pledging an additional $230 million to help the Lebanese rebuild their homes and return to their towns and communities.

Turning to Iraq, Bush said that if the government there fails, it could turn the country into a "safe haven for terrorists and extremists" and give the insurgents revenues from oil sales.

"I hear a lot of talk about civil war. I'm concerned about that, of course, and I've talked to a lot of people about it. And what I've found from my talks are that the Iraqis want a unified country. And that the Iraqi leadership is determined to thwart the efforts of the extremists and the radicals," Bush said.

His news conference was held in the White House conference center, the temporary quarters for White House news reporters during a renovation of the media briefing room in the West Wing.

"Fancy digs you've got here," Bush quipped.

On
    Iran, Bush said the United States is getting some inkling of Tehran's response to international calls for it to abandon its nuclear ambitions. A
    U.N. Security Council resolution passed last month called on Tehran to suspend uranium enrichment by Aug. 31 or face the threat of economic and diplomatic sanctions.

Asked if he was confident the Security Council would move quickly on sanctions if Iran refuses to comply, Bush said, "Certainly hope so. In order for the U.N. to be effective, there must be consequences if people thumb their nose at the
    United Nations Security Council."

"Dates are fine, but what really matters is will. And one of the things I will continue to remind our friends and allies is the danger of a nuclear-armed Iran," Bush said.

Iran said Sunday that it will offer a "multifaceted response" Tuesday to a Western package of incentives aimed at persuading Tehran to rein in its nuclear program, but insisted it won't suspend uranium enrichment altogether.

Bush said there must be "more than one voice speaking clearly to the Iranians."

Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said Monday that Tehran will continue to pursue nuclear technology, despite the U.N. Security Council deadline.

"The Islamic Republic of Iran has made its own decision and in the nuclear case, God willing, with patience and power, will continue its path," Khamenei was quoted as saying by state television.

Bush also said he was troubled that so many U.S. House and Senate candidates were calling for withdrawal U.S. forces from Iraq.

"There are a lot of good decent people saying `get out now. Vote for me, I'll do everything I can to cut off money...' It's a big mistake. It would be wrong, in my judgment, to leave before the mission is completed in Iraq."

More than 3,500 Iraqis were killed last month, the highest monthly civilian toll since the war began.

The war was a major issue in the Aug. 8 defeat of war supporter Sen.
    Joe Lieberman in Connecticut's Democratic primary. He was defeated by newcomer Ned Lamont, who has called for a speedy withdrawal of U.S. troops.

"I'm going to stay out of Connecticut," Bush said.

When a reporter reminded him that he was born in Connecticut, Bush grinned and said, "Shhhhhh."
Working...
X