Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for the Col.

Question Sir,
    I saw a movie a long time ago titled "Tank" it was based on the Russian invasion of Afghanistan tankers have you seen this movie? And if you have do any of the actions shown in it from the Russian troops have any merit as to truth?

To be more specific their tactics against the Afghan fighters?
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 16 Aug 06,, 14:38.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

I sorta remember that movie. It's been 15 years since I've seen it I think. While the Soviets did do alot of bad things, most of it was done by the Afghan National Army, especially under Dotsum. The tactics shown in the movie is not even close to what that bastard did.

The ANA was known to throw entire villages into cattle carts and then forgot about them in the Afghan heat.

Comment

Sir,
      In reference to tactics it was shown that Russians poisoned water sources (holes) in the dessert and sometimes not only did it kill the Afgans but also some of their own troops. Ever heard of this before or is it a known tactic during the cold war years?

Comment

That was ANA and it was an old Mongol trick. Kill a horse and dump it into the well to rot.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
          That was ANA and it was an old Mongol trick. Kill a horse and dump it into the well to rot.
          Hmm good comparrison I never thought it was that similar. Thanks.

Comment

The Afghans never forgot old Genghis. It is their pride and joy that Genghis was the last one who conquered them. And it was brutal. An Afghan rebellion was put down when Genghis ordered his army for each soldier to collect 300 heads each. Failure to do so was death.

Alot easier chopping heads of dead people than live ones though they did do their share of live ones as well.

Comment

Wow. I never knew that

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought
                Question Sir,
                I saw a movie a long time ago titled "Tank" it was based on the Russian invasion of Afghanistan tankers have you seen this movie? And if you have do any of the actions shown in it from the Russian troops have any merit as to truth? To be more specific their tactics against the Afghan fighters?
                Dread,
                Would you be referring to The Beast aka The Beast of War?
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Question Sir,
                  I saw a movie a long time ago titled "Tank" it was based on the Russian invasion of Afghanistan tankers have you seen this movie? And if you have do any of the actions shown in it from the Russian troops have any merit as to truth?

To be more specific their tactics against the Afghan fighters?
                  You don't mean "The Beast" do you?

Not really the most realistic movie, but very, very surrealistic.

I thought it was excellante'.

Sir,
                  In reference to tactics it was shown that Russians poisoned water sources (holes) in the dessert and sometimes not only did it kill the Afgans but also some of their own troops. Ever heard of this before or is it a known tactic during the cold war years?
                  That's true.
                  Last edited by Bill; 16 Aug 06,, 17:35.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
                    Dread,
                    Would you be referring to The Beast aka The Beast of War?

Gentlemen please forgive me you are correct I had the wrong name to the movie. But yes that is the one I refer too.

Comment

I sorta remember that movie. It's been 15 years since I've seen it I think. While the Soviets did do alot of bad things, most of it was done by the Afghan National Army, especially under Dotsum. The tactics shown in the movie is not even close to what that bastard did.
                      Quick nit pick, Dostum made his infamous name commanding the northern ethnic militias and not as a regular DRA commander. As the Soviets left his militia became the fire force for the Najibullah government. Him and his militia were regarded as less then friendly by the populations of Afghan cities they were sent to "protect". And interestingly enough he had been in talks with Massoud for years before he switched sides.

The Afghans never forgot old Genghis.
                      The Hazaras are said to be directly desendant from the Mongol hordes. At the very least they acted like it in 1992-1994.

They wanted the locals to leave to either become internal or external refugees. Being internal they would be under government control in the cities and the external ones left to Pakistan and Iran. Bombing villages, destroying irrigation systems and leveling fields forced the locals to leave. What the Soviets really did was to boost the number of Mujahideen in the field.
                      To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Working...
                      X