Thread: Disintegrating links VS. Continuous belts

HKHolic Senior Contributor leib10's Avatar

Disintegrating links VS. Continuous belts

What's the advantages/disadvantages of both? Why are the disintegrating links more popular?
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Military Professional sappersgt's Avatar

MG ammo belts

The Wehrmacht was the first to use metal disintegrating belts for machine gun ammunition. They were a lot heavier than the previous reinforced fabric (canvas) versions but were much less prone to jamming especially with the higher ROF (900 RPM) MG-34. Previous MGs (MG15/08) had a rate of fire of about half (450 RPM).

IIRC the DM1 belt used for the MG34/42 was a continuous belt, albeit made of metal. I have several DM1 belts and they don't come apart.
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

For instance, it's a lot easier to refill continuous belts with loose ammunition by hand than it is disintegrating belts.

Eastern front MGs

The book "Blood Red Snow" talks about "new" disintegrating links and "ersatz" steel cartridges (instead of brass). The disintegrating links were lighter and less prone to jamming but did not allow you to reload the belt by hand. In this case swapping out the unsatisfactory steel cartridges (which worked fine in the rifles) for brass ones which wouldn't jam in the MGs.

I've read that book. It's when a bunch of Red Army soldiers are charging the machine gunner's position and an assistant gunner passes him a spare barrel at the last minute. I remember the part about the steel cases getting stuck in the hot barrels, but I don't remember the part about disintegrating links.

Quote Originally Posted by leibstandarte10
    I've read that book. It's when a bunch of Red Army soldiers are charging the machine gunner's position and an assistant gunner passes him a spare barrel at the last minute. I remember the part about the steel cases getting stuck in the hot barrels, but I don't remember the part about disintegrating links.
    I could have got it wrong. That's the problem with quoting from memory. I've passed that book on to a fellow enthusiast. I think I'll get it back and read it again. I liked it the first time!
    Last edited by sappersgt; 12 Aug 06, at 21:26.

Me too. It was a great story, wasn't preachy or anything, it just simply told the story of a German machine gunner on the Eastern Front. It's one of my favorites.

Thread Information