Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Beach for Muslim Women Planned in Italy"..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Beach for Muslim Women Planned in Italy"..

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/08/04/D8J9N7UG0.html

Beach for Muslim Women Planned in Italy

By ARIEL DAVID
    Associated Press Writer

ROME

Hotels at an Italian seaside resort are eager to act on the town's decision to authorize the creation of all-female beach sections for Muslim women, with at least one hotel owner saying Friday that plans are already under way to open the first of such secluded areas next month.

The city council of Riccione, a popular resort on Italy's Adriatic coast about 90 miles east of Florence, has said it is prepared to authorize requests to set up partitions on parts of the shoreline to satisfy requests from the town's growing numbers of Arab and Muslim tourists.

"They can have anything they want, but they can't go to the beach, at least not without all those heavy clothes," Attilio Cenni, owner of the upscale Grand Hotel des Bains, said of his female Muslim guests.

Cenni said he plans to open the first secluded section starting in September on a stretch of shoreline of about 1,000 square meters (10,000 square feet) and to expand further next season across the more isolated beaches on Riccione's outskirts.

He also plans a TV advertising campaigns in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, Cenni told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

Popular with German and French tourists, Riccione's mass-tourism venues have recently started to attract thousands of Arab and Muslim visitors each year, mostly from the conservative Arabian peninsula, city officials say.

Supporters of the idea say that the separate beaches would allow observant Muslim women to shed their headscarves and long robes and enjoy the sun in privacy; religious restrictions otherwise oblige them to cover up if men are present.

"I can only be in favor of such a proposal," said Tomas Corazza, manager of the Hotel Mediterraneo. "It allows them to use the beach while respecting their traditions and their religion."

Corazza didn't have immediate plans to open a beach for Muslims this season but said he would advertise this new feature in a mailing list he sends to some 3,000 Arabs who are frequent guests at the hotel.

Cenni said he was already discussing with authorities the only snag in the proposal _ the fact that the partitions won't reach into the sea but will have to stop short of the waterline to allow public passage.

While Riccione's municipality would consider authorizing the construction of reserved seaside swimming pools, Cenni said he hopes he will be allowed to close-off the entire beach with covered partitions and have female lifeguards patrol the sea in water scooters to keep men away. In Italy, all shorelines must be accessible to the public.

"That sounds a little bit like a fantasy," said Andrea Cicchetti, a spokesman for Riccione's mayor.

But Cenni insists that if the partitions are mounted on isolated beaches the inconvenience to passers-by and swimmers will be minimal, allowing his guests to swim without having to don headscarves and robes again.

"These are areas where there is little passage and any problem could be solved with common sense and sensitivity," he said. "We want to make a beach where these ladies will be free."

So what happens if Luigi stumbles into this beach by mistake?

Originally posted by gilgamesh
    So what happens if Luigi stumbles into this beach by mistake?
    He probably asks Mario "Am I dreaming?"

I just can't fathom a culture that demands that it's women wear heavy garments like that. Utterly alien to me. Alien and very 12th Century.

Aren't we in the 21st Century? Must be my imagination.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Height of ridiculousness.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

tophatter,

I just can't fathom a culture that demands that it's women wear heavy garments like that. Utterly alien to me. Alien and very 12th Century.

Aren't we in the 21st Century? Must be my imagination.
        come come, sure you can; the idea of women wearing heavy garments is neither alien to the western tradition nor even as far back as the 12th century. in fact, such wear was commonplace in victorian and even edwardian england. it took WWI for women's clothing to become less formal; that is, for the dress hemline to go from the ankle (the main development of victorian england) to midshin.

meant to be tongue-in-cheek!
        Last edited by astralis; 05 Aug 06,, 08:42.
        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis
          come come, sure you can; the idea of women wearing heavy garments is neither alien to the western tradition nor even as far back as the 12th century. in fact, such wear was commonplace in victorian and even edwardian england.
          Apologies, I was referring to clothing that covers most of the woman...and I don't mean her shins, I mean pretty much EVERYTHING.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Bloddy, are they going to sunbath with cloth covering all over the body
            A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Haha.. however crazy the idea is.. they are sure heading for one huge commercial success :)

Comment

Asks the sheik: what if a boat sails by?
                All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Working...
                X