Favourite Warship(s)....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by huh_what View Post
    My bad, all the sources have it listed as 80 aft. I believe the actual layout is 64 cells front + 16 cells aft for SM-2s and another 48 cells aft for 32 cruise missiles and 16 anti-sub missiles.

Regardless, it's the most hevaily armed AEGIS destroyer. Hell, its got more firepower then a Tico CG.
    I hate to wiz in anyone's Wheaties but this is wrong.

I finally found some decent quality photographs and am prepared to state the following:

I can say with 100% certainly that the forward VLS is absolutely a 48-cell unit. The photo I found (from the launch ceremony of the lead-ship) has this covered by a tarp but you can very clearly make out each 8-cell cluster. There are 6.

The rear has 2 VLS units, cited with the larger forward and the smaller just aft of it. The forward one is, I am 99.9% certain a 32-cell VLS. There is simply no room for an 80-cell VLS there. The one decent photograph I found (taken at deck level, just forward of the VLS) shows a block that could be no larger than 32 cells - certainly not 64 or 80. In addition, if you add the 48 forward and 32 aft cells and you come up with the "80 Standard Missiles" frequently attributed to this class. The far aft unit seems clearly to be a 16-cell VLS of different design. This I presume is associated with the 16 VL-ASROC missiles attributed to this class.

But wait you say, what about the 32 cruise missiles?

Here's the rub. Most sources quote the missile load as 80 Standards, 32 cruise and 16 ASROC but I am now convinced these are maximum loads for each type and not all can be carried at once. My suspicion is the forward VLS is deep enough only for Standard and can not carry the cruise missile. This seems affirmed by the fact the larger of the two aft VLS systems is an indiginous Korean design. This only makes sense if the Korean cruise missile doesn't fit in Mk 41 - and also further confirms this nest has 32 cells, not 64 or 80. Either VLS group presumably can accomdate Standard, making for a maximum of 80 Standard if no cruise missiles are carried. All of this explains why 32 cruise missiles are attributed to the class and 80 Standards, which should really be "up to 80 Standards." A translation issue perhaps.
    Last edited by fitz; 04 Mar 08,, 23:38.

Comment

• The Pride of the RN

Here is one of my favorite ships from the age of sail. She has such an appropriate name as well... HMS Victory!
      Attached Files

Comment

• project 1155 Udaloy Fregat
        love this lines

http://worldnavy.info/photogallery/c...oy/1155_18.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by fitz View Post
          I hate to wiz in anyone's Wheaties but this is wrong.

I finally found some decent quality photographs and am prepared to state the following:

I can say with 100% certainly that the forward VLS is absolutely a 48-cell unit. The photo I found (from the launch ceremony of the lead-ship) has this covered by a tarp but you can very clearly make out each 8-cell cluster. There are 6.

The rear has 2 VLS units, cited with the larger forward and the smaller just aft of it. The forward one is, I am 99.9% certain a 32-cell VLS. There is simply no room for an 80-cell VLS there. The one decent photograph I found (taken at deck level, just forward of the VLS) shows a block that could be no larger than 32 cells - certainly not 64 or 80. In addition, if you add the 48 forward and 32 aft cells and you come up with the "80 Standard Missiles" frequently attributed to this class. The far aft unit seems clearly to be a 16-cell VLS of different design. This I presume is associated with the 16 VL-ASROC missiles attributed to this class.

But wait you say, what about the 32 cruise missiles?

Here's the rub. Most sources quote the missile load as 80 Standards, 32 cruise and 16 ASROC but I am now convinced these are maximum loads for each type and not all can be carried at once. My suspicion is the forward VLS is deep enough only for Standard and can not carry the cruise missile. This seems affirmed by the fact the larger of the two aft VLS systems is an indiginous Korean design. This only makes sense if the Korean cruise missile doesn't fit in Mk 41 - and also further confirms this nest has 32 cells, not 64 or 80. Either VLS group presumably can accomdate Standard, making for a maximum of 80 Standard if no cruise missiles are carried. All of this explains why 32 cruise missiles are attributed to the class and 80 Standards, which should really be "up to 80 Standards." A translation issue perhaps.
          Attached Files

Comment

• USS Indianapolis

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
            -General George Patton Jr.

Comment

• The hottest looking girl in Norfolk (BB64 Wisconsin);)
              Attached Files
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Argh, didn't show up. Try again!

Comment

• USS Saint-Paul (CA-73), "The Fighting Saint" :

Comment

• Wow I love that pic!

Comment

• After seeing that picture Shipwreck,I had to look her up.Quite a bit of history behind her.Thanks for posting it:).
                      "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• A lot of cool pictures in this thread!!!

have alway had a thing for heavy cruisers, dunno why.... maybe the speed and mobility of them... also found the WW2 engagements fascinating.

the Prinz Eugen takes the cake for looks, also like the Baltimores

Great thread)))

Comment

• Originally posted by Shamus View Post
                          After seeing that picture Shipwreck,I had to look her up.Quite a bit of history behind her.Thanks for posting it:).
                          USS Saint-Paul Quick Facts :

* 18 battle stars in her 26 years of continuous active duty with the US Navy (WW2 : 1, Korea : 8, Vietnam : 9).

* More rounds fired during a single deployment than any other USN warship in history (64,055 rounds on her third Vietnam deployment).

* More rounds fired in all of her deployments than any other USN warship in history (Korea : ~ 55,000 rounds; Vietnam : ~ 93,000 rounds).

* WW2 : Fired the final salvo by a major naval unit on the home islands of Japan on 9 August 1945.

* Korea : Conducted the last naval gunstrike of the Korean conflict on 27 July 1953.

* Vietnam : Carried out the longest naval gunfire mission in history on 3 July 1970 (range > 70,000 yards).

Check the USS Saint Paul (CA-73) website for more.
                          Last edited by Shipwreck; 16 Oct 08,, 13:31.

Comment

• For me, it's definitely the "Kirov" class:

That's a heavily armed ship. Nuclear power makes it even better.

Comment

• BAP Almirante Grau, the last all-gun cruiser in service worldwide :

Click image for larger version

Name:	8577612983_620420aee7_b.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	515.9 KB
ID:	1468714

(yeah, I'm nostalgic)

Comment

Working...
                              X