Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is China becoming an economic superpower?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is China becoming an economic superpower?

Is china getting to the point of within ten years they will pass the american economy? Is so this could be a major problem, a communistic government playing the guardian of all other nations? They will start start to take advantage of other countries for there own economic benefit. i believe if they overthrow america the effect could be catastrophic, slavery reborn.
    yes
    15.00%
    no
    85.00%

The poll is expired.

I voted no. I'd prefer the US remains dominant. Nothing so drastic as slavery reborn etc, but I generally prefer the US, even if I disagree with some of their foreign policy on arming Pak.
    Last edited by Archer; 08 Jul 06,, 21:32.
    Karmani Vyapurutham Dhanuhu

Comment

I didn't answer the poll posted because it wasn't the same question that was in the title thread.

So, yes, China's becoming a global economic power player, and it's not the ideal country for that. China is nowhere near the US or Japan, however, the GDP of the entire Chinese economy is less that that of the state of California.
      "Prozac Nation moves along at the speed of a Norwegian glacier, yet it provides the observer with nowhere near the pleasure."

Comment

Originally posted by ProzacNation
        I didn't answer the poll posted because it wasn't the same question that was in the title thread.

So, yes, China's becoming a global economic power player, and it's not the ideal country for that. China is nowhere near the US or Japan, however, the GDP of the entire Chinese economy is less that that of the state of California.
        China has either the world's 2nd or 3d largest GDP, depending on which method you use. I believe it's larger using purchasing power parity, and smaller using exchange rates, but I'm not sure.

China will most likely become the largest economy, in absolute terms, within the next fifty years. This doesn't mean that they will have more power than the US, however. The productivity and ingenuity of the US economy doesn't show any signs of weakening. Just because China makes more shoes and toy cars than anyone else doesn't make them gods. I expect that they will grow in influence as they grow in wealth. At the same time, they will most likely continue to liberalize, both economically and politically.

There is absolutely no chance for them to overtake the US as the most powerful nation anytime soon. America's influence is not only economic, but military and cultural. Even with an economy twice the size of America's, they would still be vastly poorer in per capita terms. They simply don't have the money necessary to influence the world the way America does, and they don't have the desire to influence the world the way the Soviets did. Personally, I give the US at least fifty years of continued dominance, barring catastrophe or other unforeseen events. Beyond that, it's hard to say.
        I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

I voted yes since it is more or less certain
          If at first you don't succeed, call it v1.0!

Comment

I voted "is it china becoming an economic superpower". Not "is it right china becoming an economic superpower?"
            Meat cutting classification NAMP 1174; the porterhouse is NAMP 1173.

Comment

Kind of scary actually of China being the top superpower. Just to start with their insane media laws, killing political prisoners for organs, forcing woman into abortions by strapping them down and drugging them, the lack of basic freedoms, and such. I voted no, on it being top dog.
              Sometimes I think the whole world is after me, but I know that's not true... Some of the smaller countries are neutral.

Comment

In case you haven't noticed, Mao Tse-Tung is dead.

Comment

The question is whether the current high growth and relative stablity in China could last long enough.
                  All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                  -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Chinese economic model has some fundamental problems. Chinese demography also has some fundamental problems. Current projection says China will be the absolute biggest economy, surpassing US, in 50 years. I doubt that.
                    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by ProzacNation

um the chinese GDP is second only to the states.

Canada's GDP is larger than california's and California either has the same, or a little more population than Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Canmoore
                        um the chinese GDP is second only to the states.
                        The IMF puts them forth, behind the US, Japan, and Germany.
                        No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Of course it is becoming an economic superpower. But that doesn't mean that they will become the most powerful and influential nation in the world. There are loads of factors influencing that: GNP, demography, multinationals, inward and outward investment, military etc........

Comment

Only an economic superpower.US will still have military dominance over other countries.

Comment

I agree with the previous post, today China is light years behind America when it comes to the military, within 50 years I still expect the US to lead the world in terms of technology, power projection and fighting ability. In terms of the economy China most likely will have surpassed the US in terms of sheer GDP but I still would give the US the edge in innovation and ingenuity as has been pointed out and also expect the average American to still have a better standard of living.

As to whether it is the right country for dominance I think I would prefer the US to be the sole superpower, I know the current US administration isn't exactly model but still
                              On the other hand who knows what benefits a return to a Cold-War style balance of power could bring

Comment

Working...
                              X