Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pray or die, Somali sheikh tells Muslims

Pray or die, Somali sheikh tells Muslims

MOGADISHU - A leading Mogadishu sheikh said on Friday Muslims who do not pray five times a day should be put to death -- the latest sign of a fast-emerging hardline face to Somalia's newly-powerful Islamists.

The sheikh's statement -- which he confirmed to Reuters after it was broadcast on local media -- caused consternation among residents and will fuel foreign fears the Islamists are planning a hardline Taliban-style rule.

"He who does not perform prayer will be considered as infidel and our sharia law orders that person to be killed," said Sheikh Abdalla Ali, who runs a sharia court in the Somali capital which the Islamists took last month.

After kicking out the U.S.-backed warlords from Mogadishu on June 5, the Islamists took a large swathe of southern Somalia from the coastal capital to near the border with Ethiopia.

The Islamists initially sought to project a moderate face.

But in recent weeks, a hardline cleric on international terrorism lists has risen to their most senior position, strict sharia law such as whipping has been increasingly applied to criminals, and zealous militia have broken up World Cup viewing.

An elder in the Gubta area of Mogadishu, which is the base of the sheikh who pronounced on the prayers, said he did not approve of the strict sharia punishments, "We are very sorry at these kinds of activities," said Aw Ahmed Jilacow.

VIDEO "FABRICATED"

The Islamists' hardline leader, Sheikh Hassan Dahir Aweys, said a video purportedly showing foreigners fighting alongside local militants was fabricated to discredit his movement, according to remarks published on Friday.

The potentially explosive tape circulating in Mogadishu this week appears to show foreign radicals alongside local Islamist militiamen during the recent battles against warlords.

If true, that would puncture the Islamists' claim to be an entirely home-grown movement, and fuel fears in Washington and elsewhere that their rise could make the Horn of Africa nation a magnet for Muslim extremists.

"This tape is fabricated and fraudulent and aims to harm the reputation of the Islamic Courts," Aweys, who is on a U.N. and U.S. terrorism list, told London-based Asharq al-Awsat daily.

Separately, Islamist militiamen faced off with a group vowing to fight Mogadishu's new rulers on Friday as residents feared another flare-up after a month of relative peace.

Manning checkpoints and driving pick-ups mounted with heavy guns, rival militias stood just 150 meters (yards) apart in the Kilometer Four area of Mogadishu.

Seeking to cling to an enclave in Kilometer Four, the warlord-linked Sa'ad sub-clan has boosted its defenses and refused to hand over weapons, as well as briefly seizing a vehicle from the pro-Islamist Ayr sub-clan, residents said.

"There are fears of fighting in Kilometre Four between Islamic Courts Union and the Sa'ad," resident Abdikarim Ahmed said. "The Sa'ad took over a vehicle owned by the Ayr and held it for several hours. They took several guns from the vehicle and later released it."

Warlord fighters linked to the Sa'ad last month vowed to regain territory they lost in the fight for Mogadishu, which killed 350 people in close range artillery duels.

(Additional reporting by Heba Kandil)

Copyright 2006 Reuters News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    Copyright © 2006 ABC News Internet Ventures
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Reportedly 2 people were shot dead when the sharia enforcement militia broke for watching the going FIFA World Up.

We need to nuke that place and start afresh.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Well what a surprise. The religion of peace and understanding strikes again.
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

considering that the somali warlords that these islamic courts replaced were also busily killing off somali civilians either as hostages, bargaining chips, or whatnot...one can't exactly say that these islamic courts "brought in" any new level of violence that the likes of mogadishu has never seen

in fact, that's how the islamic courts won in the first place. because they were nominally better than the warlords that they replaced, by bringing some small modicum of peace and order to mogadishu.

lemontree,

We need to nuke that place and start afresh.
        now if that's not a case of "we had to destroy the village to save it"...

militant islam must be confronted, that is true. but most primarily it is a battle of IDEAS, the ultimate struggle for hearts and minds. while force can treat the symptoms, the underlying factors for the rise of militant islam must be cut down with the superiority of our beliefs in toleration, freedom, and liberalism. and the first step to that is understanding of our enemy. the difference between militant islam and the rest of islam is a large difference, and if we choose to ignore that we simply make the job far harder than it would (and should) be.
        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

well... I guess we got a replacement for Afghanistan...
          Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
          -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Originally posted by astralis
            considering that the somali warlords that these islamic courts replaced were also busily killing off somali civilians either as hostages, bargaining chips, or whatnot...one can't exactly say that these islamic courts "brought in" any new level of violence that the likes of mogadishu has never seen
            yes, I can see that getting beheaded for not praying is a great step up from having your neighbourhood run by warlords and being used as a bargaining chip.
            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

interesting thing about the psychology of most people is, the idea of law and order usually trumps that of freedom. that explains how these islamic courts had the momentum to overthrow a status quo of a civil war (against presumably american-financed warlords), and the rise of the taliban in afghanistan.

or, for that matter, the rise of fascism in italy and germany, as well as the rise of militarism in 1930s japan. the roman republic even had a mechanism for this, in the form of the dictator.

no one is saying that this is a "great step up" from the warlord days. but it is important to realize the mechanics of the rise of these fundamentalists. getting beheaded for not praying is horrible- but at least there's one solution to NOT getting beheaded (that is, of course, by praying). the warlords, now, they didn't care about any of that, and were liable to behead you for the fun of it...in other words, it's the difference between bad and worse.
              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Islam strikes again.

A box office extravaganza - the Islamic answer to "Superman Returns"! ;)

But the cruelty will surely get them an Oscar in the category of "the most Bizarre lunacy"!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

listen, baby girl burning ray, don't you have some muslims tied at the stake which you should be burning or dalits that need flogging?! Who are you to comment on anyone else, even on morons like these...lol

Comment

Originally posted by platinum786
                    listen, baby girl burning ray, don't you have some muslims tied at the stake which you should be burning or dalits that need flogging?! Who are you to comment on anyone else, even on morons like these...lol
                    Whoa, I guess WAB mods would really love to see something like this from the great peaceloving moderate moslem!!
                    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                      Islam strikes again.

A box office extravaganza - the Islamic answer to "Superman Returns"! ;)

But the cruelty will surely get them an Oscar in the category of "the most Bizarre lunacy"!
                      I just keep thinking of those cartoons from P(iss)DF and chuckle
                      A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Originally posted by platinum786
                        Plat, tell me this: Who are you to make comments like that?
                        That was a very foolish thing to say. Consider this your only warning.
                        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

... True feelings bursting out, inspite of the pious platitute "forgivness" thread some time back. Tsk, tsk....

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

well you see i'm an emotional kinda guy...when something i beleive in is attacked, i react, often as in this case in a manner which was inappropriate.

you see that guy was dissing my religion, he does it all the time, take what people do, to slur the word of god, i don't tolerate that.

Does that make what i said right, well of course not, would i do it again, i don't know.

Note however that the point of my comment was not to insult, you have misinterpreted my words, the point was the provide a reflection of what ray is saying apears as.

You see negativities exist all around us, each and every one of us has negativities attached to us, however Ray chose to abuse those negativities that form our surroundings to launch personal attacks on values and beliefs.

My comment was the exact same thing as ray did, the only difference was that relationship between the 2 things had altered, the things being religon and person.

In the clear light of day ray said the actions of those somali's and the Al Queda etc are what Islam teaches, i just listed some actions that hindu's undertake and presented them as what Ray "is".

Kinda like this,

he said A+B=C
                            I said... C-A=B

Now the question is Should he say A+B=C when he doesn't know what A or B is, and should i reflect and ad that C-A=B when i know that parameteres a thru to C are not complete in my knowledge.

Comment

P = C+U+ whatever.

Your rather complex mind reads too much, self proclaimed sentimental scintillating twinkle twinkle malicious star.

A leading Mogadishu sheikh said on Friday Muslims who do not pray five times a day should be put to death
                              If that is not Islam, what is it? Paganism? If you feel it is a pagan ritual, then I have nothing to add.

Does it not show Islam striking again? Does it not mean that those who claim to be Musslamans are not acting like Mussulmans; and the Mullahman is striking them with the tenets of Islam, and throwing in death, as a bonus free gift?

So isn't that Mullahman bloke a Superman answer of trying to save the world?

Don't you think it is absurd for the Mullahman to go on a rampage to bring the horse to the water and force it to drink? Isn't that lunacy?

What's the great idea of making a bloke bend five times a day when his heart is not there? You can't stuff religion into hearts (or any other area) that is unwilling.

So, pallowallo, I think you are quite a dumb joe who can only see the dark side of the moon! Maybe that is the environment you are used to.

And cut out the sentimental withdrawal route. It indicates a coward's mode of whimpering retreat.

As far as your religion is concerned, there are greater soul here and the in the world to diss it. I do not have to add anything to make it more cogent. Truism surfaces without anyone's effort! I don't have to lighten up the negatives. They are there for all to see, observe and feel including beheadings! ;)
                              Last edited by Ray; 10 Jul 06,, 14:31.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                              X