North Korea test-fires 7th missile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Korea test-fires 7th missile

"(CNN) -- North Korea test-fired a seventh missile Wednesday -- amid international furor over the regime's launch of six missiles just hours earlier.

The Japanese Defense Agency said one ballistic missile was fired from southeastern North Korea around 5:20 p.m. (4:20 a.m. ET), landing in the Sea of Japan about 10 minutes later.

The range of the missile has not been confirmed by CNN. However, Japanese news agencies said it was medium-range.

The seventh test came after North Korea launched one long-range and five shorter-range missiles shortly after 3:30 a.m. Wednesday (2:30 p.m. Tuesday ET). Those tests lasted about five hours. "

Now...what about that !

Originally posted by ARH Gabriel
    "(CNN) -- North Korea test-fired a seventh missile Wednesday -- amid international furor over the regime's launch of six missiles just hours earlier.

The Japanese Defense Agency said one ballistic missile was fired from southeastern North Korea around 5:20 p.m. (4:20 a.m. ET), landing in the Sea of Japan about 10 minutes later.

The range of the missile has not been confirmed by CNN. However, Japanese news agencies said it was medium-range.

The seventh test came after North Korea launched one long-range and five shorter-range missiles shortly after 3:30 a.m. Wednesday (2:30 p.m. Tuesday ET). Those tests lasted about five hours. "

Now...what about that !
    NK is just trying to regain world attention for the most part. I still wouldn't mind seeing the reaction to a missile landing somewhere in Alaska.

I think a missile even one with no warhead landing in Alaska would warrent I return missile hitting the launch site. Someone needs to remind this guy who underwhelming his military capabilities really are.

Comment

So besides retaliatory actions, what other thoughts are there on N.KOrea's recent behaviours?

Does the American population in general feel that they want another war?

The way I see things, the US is extremely stretched to deal with Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, China, n North Korea at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaphael
        So besides retaliatory actions, what other thoughts are there on N.KOrea's recent behaviours?

Does the American population in general feel that they want another war?

The way I see things, the US is extremely stretched to deal with Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, China, n North Korea at the same time.
        I doubt the U.S would engage in a ground war in this case unless NK forced their hand and invaded SK.

Mostly likely looking at cruise missile strikes and bombing.

Comment

That's the only way we could do it. We cannot afford another ground war- we've got enough of those already.
          "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

North Korea is of very little threat to continental United States. I think Kim is just trying to garner some attention. He's like a little kid jumping up and down yelling "look at me, look at me!" He has nothing to bargain with, except for the missiles that the world is concerned with. So he's using that as a leverage.
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Exactly. The best answer is probably to just ignore him, although I can see how that's not really viable for Japan, and Japan is a close ally, so...

Oh darn, we will be forced to perfect our missile defense technologies even faster. How terrible. How unfortunate. How...

Luscious.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
                Exactly. The best answer is probably to just ignore him, although I can see how that's not really viable for Japan, and Japan is a close ally, so...

Oh darn, we will be forced to perfect our missile defense technologies even faster. How terrible. How unfortunate. How...

Luscious.

-dale
                Seems to me the best solution is to have a missile boat *test fire* a missile right off NK's coast and give Japan 1,000 Self Defence Missiles (renamed land launched cruise missiles). Then proceed with continueing to ignore the dictator.

Comment

Originally posted by canoe
                  Seems to me the best solution is to have a missile boat *test fire* a missile right off NK's coast and give Japan 1,000 Self Defence Missiles (renamed land launched cruise missiles). Then proceed with continueing to ignore the dictator.
                  We can't do that. Giving Japan cruise missiles will tip the balance of power in Asia by threatening China. Anti ballsitic missiles are OK. They are genuine defensive arms. Japan armed with cruise missiles will not make other nations in east Asia happy.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut
                    We can't do that. Giving Japan cruise missiles will tip the balance of power in Asia by threatening China. Anti ballsitic missiles are OK. They are genuine defensive arms. Japan armed with cruise missiles will not make other nations in east Asia happy.
                    1,000 cruise missiles won't make it any more possile that it already isen't for Japan to invade China.

Hell Japan could have 50,000 cruise missiles and they still couldn't invade China successfully.

Comment

I dont see N korea as a threat because they only have a few missiles and their long range missile test from yesterday failed. Most of these missiles are sitting on launchpads and are very huge targets. A few conventionally armed tomahwks would easily shut them up and cripple their capability.

Comment

Originally posted by canoe
                        1,000 cruise missiles won't make it any more possile that it already isen't for Japan to invade China.

Hell Japan could have 50,000 cruise missiles and they still couldn't invade China successfully.
                        With cruise missiles, Japan doesn't need to invade anyone to be a threat.

What do we use cruise missiles for? Stand-off attack. We can safely hit strategic targets without risking any pilots. China, and other Asian neighbors, will not be happy if Japan is armed with this weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut
                          With cruise missiles, Japan doesn't need to invade anyone to be a threat.

What do we use cruise missiles for? Stand-off attack. We can safely hit strategic targets without risking any pilots. China, and other Asian neighbors, will not be happy if Japan is armed with this weapon.
                          yeah, China and probably South Korea would both feel nervous if Japan gets 1000 cruise missiles.

Comment

Originally posted by tphuang
                            yeah, China and probably South Korea would both feel nervous if Japan gets 1000 cruise missiles.
                            Not to mention pretty much every other Asian nation that was affected by Japan's attempted "Co-Prosperity sphere. The Japanese are not popular throughout Asia, and with good reason. That is also the reason that they usually walk soft in international politics.

Comment

I love how Saddam was a threat to world stability with his rumored WMDs - yet North Korea, who have openly claimed to have nuclear weapons, actively developing ICBMs and has threatened nuclear retaliation is "not a direct threat"?

Comment

Working...
                              X