This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
    Here in the UK we use miles and I'm sure when we left you at Botany Bay that was the measurments we left you with.. when did you go all European and use that metric rubbish. Next you'll be saying you use plastic banknotes
    Oh yes, Metric, that's that communist plot designed to de-stabilise the world, working in multiples of 10 is so much more difficult than 1/4's, 1/6", 32nd's 64th's

I learnt Imperial up until year 9 at school, from year 10 on, we did Metric. So much easier.

Try explaining what a bushel is and what volume it is? How long is a Rod? How big is a pearch? Gallons; Imperial or US? Chains & links, CWT, short or long, Imperial or US, tons, long or short?
    Temperature in Celcies;, 0=0. In Imperial, 0=32 deg. That makes a lot of sense, not.
    The only things that are not effected by Metric are, Pootheenths, Beesdicks, smidgionss and fairy's foreskins, all being a very small measure.

The Yanks will never use Metric because of the above mentioned communist link. Where's McCarthy when you need him.

We might have to call you a yank in training.

Freddie
    Never hold your farts in, they run up your spine, and that's where shity ideas come from.
    vēnī, vīdī, velcro - I came, I saw I stuck around.

Comment

• Minimum Wage

I'm doing a lot of work on trying to understand Hong Kong's new minimum wage law. In a nutshell, if Employee A is paid an hourly salary equal to the minimum wage (HK$28/hr, or US$3.60), and Employee B is paid a monthly salary for the same work, Employee B has to be paid 51.6% more, to comply with the law.

The reason is that Employee A works (say) 8 hours a day for 23 days a month, while Employee B works -- according to the law -- 31 days a month (this monh, not April or February of course) with 8 weekend rest days and an hour a day for lunch.

The rest days and lunch breaks have to be deducted from base pay at a rate of base pay / 31 days / 9 hours, which reduced base pay so much that it has to be increased by 51.6%.

Or, you change modestly paid (US$1,000 / month or less) workers to hourly staff, and suffer the slings and arrows of labor unions and editorials.

Or, you fire people.

I've been told that half of the typical 7-11 stores will probably go out of business because of this law.

#%@ )$#( !
      Trust me?
      I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
        We typically hear from her on the weekend, it seems she works the late shift and often posts then.
        Still around here and there, not so much here anymore though. Carry on boys, seems all has gone well without me.
        Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

• Originally posted by Debbie View Post
          Still around here and there, not so much here anymore though. Carry on boys, seems all has gone well without me.
          Not at all Miss Debbie. The WAB is a duller place without you. We need your input to keep the young pups in line ;)

Comment

• A few months ago Anthony Bourdain visited my hometown, Joplin Mo. The episode of "No Reservations" will aire Monday Mar 28(tomorrow).

He visits a couple bars, a pizza place and the oldest restaurant in town, Fred and Reds spaghetti. My whole family all the way back to my great-granparents have ate there. I was 4 years old the first time I went! Place looks exactly the same today as when it opened. I found out that he was in town the same night he was at the bar and completely missed seeing him. I thought it would have been very cool to have met him. He also went to Turtleheads, the local biker hang out(yes, me included) that serves up some serious surf and turf.

He is about the biggest thing to see this town in years! Paper did a two page write-up even. He has more fans here than what he figured I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
              A few months ago Anthony Bourdain visited my hometown, Joplin Mo. The episode of "No Reservations" will aire Monday Mar 28(tomorrow).

He visits a couple bars, a pizza place and the oldest restaurant in town, Fred and Reds spaghetti. My whole family all the way back to my great-granparents have ate there. I was 4 years old the first time I went! Place looks exactly the same today as when it opened. I found out that he was in town the same night he was at the bar and completely missed seeing him. I thought it would have been very cool to have met him. He also went to Turtleheads, the local biker hang out(yes, me included) that serves up some serious surf and turf.

He is about the biggest thing to see this town in years! Paper did a two page write-up even. He has more fans here than what he figured I guess.
              He's got quite a few fans in the UK as well.

Comment

• The Kings Speech

Me and Rit went to see the movie last night, and I never realised untill that the Kings therapist was an Aussie dontchyaknow Now who would have thunk that a chain shaker taught the King dictation and pronunciation....whatever next

Great film really glad that they highlighted the fact that "Bertie and Lionel" became life long friends.

Of the opinion now Geoffrey Rush should have recieved the oscar for best supporting actor.
                sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

• Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
                  Of the opinion now Geoffrey Rush should have recieved the oscar for best supporting actor.
                  Agreed. Great film.
                  Trust me?
                  I'm an economist!

Comment

• [QUOTE=T_igger_cs_30;798781]Me and Rit went to see the movie last night, and I never realised untill that the Kings therapist was an Aussie dontchyaknow Now who would have thunk that a chain shaker taught the King dictation and pronunciation....whatever next

You Poms thought that by dumping the scum of society in Orstralia would solve the problem, but we grew into fine Cricketers and Rugby players and are now the envy of the world. And if you don't believe that, what was the most popular name for baby boys last year in Pomgolia (that's England just in case you're wondering)? It was Mohammad.

Now we're being selective as to who we let into the place. And yes, the Poms are still coming here.
                    But the special forces comprised of attack Crocs and snakes are doing their job.

Freddie

Freddie
                    Never hold your farts in, they run up your spine, and that's where shity ideas come from.

Comment

• Oh yes, Metric, that's that communist plot designed to de-stabilise the world, working in multiples of 10 is so much more difficult than 1/4's, 1/6", 32nd's 64th's
                      Being a machinist-type, may I say we don't work in fractions, we work in decimals. It's no harder to machine a bushing to 1.425" than one to 38.55mm.

With modern CAD/CAM, prints, plans can be converted to metric or imperial with a button push.

But that said, there's little doubt metric is a superior system. The main problem is the tens of trillions of $$ of imperial machinery. And that is being slowly replaced with systems capable of working in either system. Metric is slowly replacing imperial by sheer mass.

Comment

• Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
                        A travesty. He was brilliant, and in fact I thought he played the better part.

Comment

• Originally posted by furkensturker View Post
                          Oh yes, Metric, that's that communist plot designed to de-stabilise the world, working in multiples of 10 is so much more difficult than 1/4's, 1/6", 32nd's 64th's

I learnt Imperial up until year 9 at school, from year 10 on, we did Metric. So much easier.

Try explaining what a bushel is and what volume it is? How long is a Rod? How big is a pearch? Gallons; Imperial or US? Chains & links, CWT, short or long, Imperial or US, tons, long or short?
                          Temperature in Celcies;, 0=0. In Imperial, 0=32 deg. That makes a lot of sense, not.
                          The only things that are not effected by Metric are, Pootheenths, Beesdicks, smidgionss and fairy's foreskins, all being a very small measure.

The Yanks will never use Metric because of the above mentioned communist link. Where's McCarthy when you need him.

We might have to call you a yank in training.

Freddie
                          OK OK don't blame me. I've made all my clocks into 2 x 10hrs and my year is now ten months (at least I'll live longer than most). And the baker has thrown his dummy out of the pram.

Comment

OK OK don't blame me. I've made all my clocks into 2 x 10hrs and my year is now ten months (at least I'll live longer than most). And the baker has thrown his dummy out of the pram.
                            I miss the 13 place egg box ;)
                            sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

• [QUOTE=furkensturker;798803]
                              Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
                              Me and Rit went to see the movie last night, and I never realised untill that the Kings therapist was an Aussie dontchyaknow Now who would have thunk that a chain shaker taught the King dictation and pronunciation....whatever next

You Poms thought that by dumping the scum of society in Orstralia would solve the problem, but we grew into fine Cricketers and Rugby players and are now the envy of the world. And if you don't believe that, what was the most popular name for baby boys last year in Pomgolia (that's England just in case you're wondering)? It was Mohammad.

Now we're being selective as to who we let into the place. And yes, the Poms are still coming here.
                              But the special forces comprised of attack Crocs and snakes are doing their job.

Freddie

Freddie
                              Pffffffffftttttttt Mohammad huh , ya must admit its got a ring to it , Mohammad smith / jackson / windsor , yup it just rolls off the tongue huh , and as for cricketers , ashes to ashes mush , anyway its time for ya lockdown n lights out innit

Comment

My last boss had us working metric weeks, 30 hrs a day, 10 day weeks

Freddie

Comment

Working...
                                X