Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you ever think about it, elephants are quite bizzare. What will aliens think of earth creatures if the first type they encounter upon landing are these "3t creatures with big teeth, dog-sized sh!t, 2m long nose going through upper lip?"
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by kNikS
      If he was bigger than 5cm,I'll give you that. My way of dealing with enormous cockroaches, scorpions and spiders is James Bond style flametrower. Quick and bloodless.
      I am too afraid of them crunching. I prefer to cover them up, secure them, and have someone else come deal with them.

Originally posted by kNikS
      So you don't like cute little colorful fluffy chirping Sparrows but you do like 3t creatures with big teeth, dog-sized sh!t, 2m long nose going through upper lip and you dont have anything against slimy creatures without front limbs - or without limbs at all - that live in ponds and eat younger bothers and sisters. (Not that I have anything against any of them)
      I dislike birds yes. I do have a fondness for reptiles. As for elephants - I would not want one as a room mate, but I dont think they are particularly unnappealing.
      "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
        so i was thinking....Why can't unicorns be real? There are other animals (deer, moose, elk and the like) that have horns. Why can horses not have horn in the center of its head much like a rhino? I wonder if it would be possible to genetically mutate a horses DNA with that of a rhino and create a unicorn offspring?
        I'll put that on my to-do list. Be warned though- first I have to make my genetically engineered super soldiers, super fruit flies, a couple of tree species I want to save, and non-itch grass, so it might take some time.

Actually, rhinos and horses are in the same family IIRC. But you really wouldn't want a rhino horn, they're rather ugly. What you really want is a tusk, sheathed in ivory like an elephant tusk or boar tusk. Just instead of two have one, like the narwhal.
        I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

I dislike birds yes. I do have a fondness for reptiles. As for elephants - I would not want one as a room mate, but I dont think they are particularly unnappealing.
          Aaaaaaaargggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh! FOR THE LOVE OF ZOOLOGY, FROGS, SALAMANDERS AND THEIR ILK ARE AMPHIBIANS, NOT REPTILES!!!!!!!! and another one for good measure-

Sorry about that. Sometimes my better self loses control and mister hyper-know-it-all-accuracy-nut takes over. Amphibians vs reptiles is one of my pet peeves.

And while on the subject of pet peeves, "it's" means it is, so a phrase like "Russia has it's (it is) own problems" is WRONG.

Comment

I am too afraid of them crunching. I prefer to cover them up, secure them, and have someone else come deal with them.
            Bomb disposal unit?

Crunching is impractical not because od being afraid of, but because there is a good possibility that you crunch the head and body goes away under something (or cleaning cockroach's intestine, if you dislike it). It happened to me few times, I used knife for killing them. After I heard that body could live a month without a head, I'm using flamethrower.

Ma'am, don't you think that prefering elephants and tadpoles over birds is.. hm.. weird?

And yes, tadpoles are amphibians. Thought from what I have seen, reptiles are equally boring as pets - dumb and without interaction. And spiders, scorpions and bugs are definitely most pointless thing you could have. Dumb, ugly, squishy, poisonous...

Comment

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral
              Aaaaaaaargggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh! FOR THE LOVE OF ZOOLOGY, FROGS, SALAMANDERS AND THEIR ILK ARE AMPHIBIANS, NOT REPTILES!!!!!!!! and another one for good measure-
              but they all fall into herpetology - which I love!!

Originally posted by AG
              And while on the subject of pet peeves, "it's" means it is, so a phrase like "Russia has it's (it is) own problems" is WRONG.
              you are correct - My minor was English in college (i wanted something to fall back on, in case my major did not pan out - wouldnt you know i did not follow either). while i dont use proper punctuation here on the board (it is far easier to type dont instead of don't with that pesky apostrophe).

so many people use that apostophe because it is hard to remember when and when not to use it, but it is not used with possessive pronouns such as his, her, my, yours, or its. it is only used with the word "it" when that word is being used as a contraction instead of "it is".

you know what else gets to me about the apostophe - that people do not use it correctly to make a singular word plural if that word ends in an "s". example: "look at those horses' hooves" requires an apostophe after the "s" but many people leave it off.

*sigh*
              Last edited by THL; 07 Jul 06,, 14:14.
              "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

i know that there is a pet peeve thread somewhere, but since AG brought it up - i dont like that manufacturers roll cords into little circles and then when you try to unroll them, they stay coiled up. i have had a cable cord stretch out for about three months now and the dam thing is still coiled. why cant they just wrap them like the big orange extension cords and have it be more oval shaped instead of circular shaped?

dam them all!!!

Comment

i know that there is a pet peeve thread somewhere, but since AG brought it up - i dont like that manufacturers roll cords into little circles and then when you try to unroll them, they stay coiled up. i have had a cable cord stretch out for about three months now and the dam thing is still coiled. why cant they just wrap them like the big orange extension cords and have it be more oval shaped instead of circular shaped?

dam them all!!!
                  LMAO the bain of you existence THL?
                  And here I thought most girls/women hated the gas powered weed wackers...lmao
                  Last edited by Dreadnought; 07 Jul 06,, 15:01.
                  Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought
                    LMAO the bain of you existence THL?
                    And here I thought most girls/women hated the gas powered weed wackers...lmao
                    I do hate weed wackers, but only because they are most beneficial when used outdoors in the summer when the sun is bearing down and the temps rise to near 100. If I could use it indoors or in the winter, I would get me one.
                    :)

I do just fine, Dread - can paint my own walls, hang my own drywall and if I had a carpet stretcher of my very own, could lay my own carpet. I learned all this growing up in and around houses that my stepdad and aunt would remodel. HE taught me how to do some of it, and SHE taught me how to do the rest of it without breaking a nail!! :)

In early gradeschool I remember drawing on blank drywall with a marker after it was hung and before it was primed and painted. When they were re-remodeling a house that we had lived in during its initial remodeling, they found all sorts of drawings on the inside of the drywall that had never been covered up.

...memories...

Comment

I do just fine, Dread - can paint my own walls, hang my own drywall and if I had a carpet stretcher of my very own, could lay my own carpet. I learned all this growing up in and around houses that my stepdad and aunt would remodel. HE taught me how to do some of it, and SHE taught me how to do the rest of it without breaking a nail!! :)
                      That's my girl
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I do hate weed wackers, but only because they are most beneficial when used outdoors in the summer when the sun is bearing down and the temps rise to near 100. If I could use it indoors or in the winter, I would get me one.
                        :)

In early gradeschool I remember drawing on blank drywall with a marker after it was hung and before it was primed and painted. When they were re-remodeling a house that we had lived in during its initial remodeling, they found all sorts of drawings on the inside of the drywall that had never been covered up.

...memories...
                        Dam now thats impressive a woman who can take care of things on her own. Theres something very sexy about women doing reconstruction work.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
                          That's my girl
                          TH a new avitar....hmmmm we wouldnt be taking on a list other then the right now would we?

Comment

TH a new avitar....hmmmm we wouldnt be taking on a list other then the right now would we?
                            Huh?
                            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Dam now thats impressive a woman who can take care of things on her own. Theres something very sexy about women doing reconstruction work.
                              yeah...i hear the adult film industry is thinking of tapping into that market...

"Betty The Builder Does Dallas"

Comment

Speaking of weedwackers- I was clearing some brush and grass at a new house site today, using said weedwacker, and ran into a nice nest of yaller jackets. Passed 'em by once without noticing. Evidently the second time they'd had enough. Got me all up and down my shin and calf. First time I've been stung since something like 5 or 7 years ago. I'd just about forgot what it felt like. I took it as a sign from God that I should go fishing this afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                                X