• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kill a cow and get sentenced for life

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...-6-2006_pg7_42

Go ahead and ignore secularism.

BJP plan to set life term for cow killing

By Iftikhar Gilani

NEW DELHI: The Congress party and several non-government organisations (NGOs) here have voiced concern at moves by Bharatiya Janata Party-led states to introduce life terms as punishment for killing a cow and withdraw several popular nursery rhymes from the syllabus in a bid to “reduce western influence”.

The Congress party, which is the main opposition in the Central Indian Madhya Pradesh state, on Wednesday called these moves “dangerous and anti-secular”.

Protesting the move to remove poems including the famous nursery rhyme ‘Twinkle twinkle little star’, state Congress General Secretary Manak Agrawal said the party had sought Governor Balram Jakhar’s intervention to prevent the BJP from implementing the “RSS’ saffron agenda” in education.

The BJP government, led by Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, is also planning to amend the law to introduce a life term sentence for cow slaughter. In other BJP ruled states of Rajasthan and Gujarat, cow slaughter punishment can invite a maximum sentence of 10 years and seven years, respectively.

The BJP governments’ latest decision to drop six popular nursery rhymes like ‘Ba ba black sheep’ and ‘Twinkle twinkle little star’ has angered parents. The Congress party here said that they had information that the BJP governments were planning to change the syllabus for standards II and V.

State Communist Party of India leader Pramod Pradhan said it would be disastrous if the country’s plurality and diversity were not presented in the right context while imparting education.
    Somebody accused me that I want disharmony amongst Indians. The religious parties of India are doing it all on their own. People were attacking a Maulvi's objection to a Hindu song on the basis of secularism, but what about the Hindu parties removal of the twinkle twinkle little star rhyme!

What will happen on Eid when wealthy Muslims carry out their duty and slaughter cows and give the meat to the poor?

Why not, secularism doesn't mean freedom to do things offensive to other religions.
    Quaran doesn't say that you have to specifically sacrifice a cow.
    BTW if "rich" muslims can't slaughter a cow. There are other animals like goat, sheep, camel etc. Unless ofcourse the "rich" muslims wanted to show off that they are rich which seems to be the case in Pakistan where families display a zoo at their courtyards containing everything from goat to camel.....
    Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Well cows are actually sacrificed by the middle class and goats by the rich.

The middle class can't afford to buy an entire goat, so what they do is 7 people pitch in for one cow, and that's allowed.

For a goat it has to be 1 per person.

What's offensive is that Hindu policies are being forced on the state level. I hope BJP's run down even further in the next elections, but the opposite would more likely be true.

Comment

Originally posted by Asim Aquil

The middle class can't afford to buy an entire goat, so what they do is 7 people pitch in for one cow, and that's allowed.

For a goat it has to be 1 per person.

What's offensive is that Hindu policies are being forced on the state level. I hope BJP's run down even further in the next elections, but the opposite would more likely be true.
        BJP's writ runs only in Gujarat. Hindus rever cow but that hasn't stopped the legal export ot the smuggling of cattle to Pakistan or BD.
        Moreover this issue can't be compared with the fatwa against singing VandeMataram, simply because it is a patriotic song. Since Muslims have the habit of doing things enblock, what happened in Hyderabad would be taken over by the mullahs in Lucknow or even Assam. This would unnecessarily cause discord because we Indians worship the flag and the soil. You don't have to be a Muslim to suffer retaliation for not giving due respect to the nation's symbols....
        Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

What will happen on Eid when wealthy Muslims carry out their duty and slaughter cows and give the meat to the poor?
          These two statements contradict each other.....
          Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Ok, lets start a pig farm close to Mecca and then see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by gilgamesh
              Ok, lets start a pig farm close to Mecca and then see what happens.
              Asim's grouse is that India is a secular nations and so must pander to the whims of the Mullahs. Whereas Pakistan and other members of the "ummah" don't have to be conciliatory towards their minorities because Allah(SWT) is the only god and Mohammad(PBUH) is the last prophet....
              BTW the post about pigs might offend the muslim members as the Kaaba is a very sacred shrine for the Muslims, even though that contradicts the belief in Islam about idolatory....
              Last edited by 667medic; 16 Jun 06,, 09:30.
              Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Originally posted by 667medic
                Asim's grouse is that India is a secular nations and so must pander to the whims of the Mullahs. Whereas Pakistan and other members of the "ummah" don't have to be conciliatory towards their minorities because Allah(SWT) is the only god and Mohammad(PBUH) is the last prophet....

Pakistanis are anything but secular, and India, no Siree Bob, has to be perfect(we try and come close to ). I don't support the legislation, dharma should be voluntary, but hey, at least somebody is standing up to the "secular" chukkas in Delhi!

Comment

These two statements contradict each other.....
                  wealthy enough/not poor.

Basic idea is whoever is capable financially must sacrifice and give in the way of the poor.

Comment

I don't agree with Saudi Arabia's governance either.

In UAE you get fresh pig meat in every supermarket in every town, however. But we're talking about India and its failing secularism.

India is a secular nations and so must pander to the whims of the Mullahs
                    Actually the very opposite. India is being ruled in grossly Hindu ways but it keeps up this garb of secularism with utter idiotic appeasement policies of Muslims on inane issues.

The slaughter of cows should be respected as one's personal religious practice. It's a form of charity not something to appease Muslims or show the Hindus down. Hindus can keep slaughtering pigs, vice versa.

Comment

Hindus can keep slaughtering pigs, vice versa.
                      Pigs are not revered by Hindus so there is no religious inhibition towards slaughtering them. But then the gov in Kerala banned the consumption of pigs to appease the Muslim population.....
                      Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

The slaughter of cows should be respected as one's personal religious practice.
                        Nonsense, you live in a society and thus must conform to the rules of the society.
                        If I am horny, do I have the right to rape every female in sight, afterall I am just satisfying my animal instinct....
                        Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

It's a form of charity not something to appease Muslims or show the Hindus down.
                          Since it is for charity, there is no reason why Muslims cannot slaughter other animals like hen, pigeon, fish, goat, sheep, camel or even bulls.....
                          Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Nonsense, you live in a society and thus must conform to the rules of the society.
                            If I am horny, do I have the right to rape every female in sight, afterall I am just satisfying my animal instinct....
                            If it happens on people's private property the government should have no say to it. Care can be taken to not to make it seem offensive to Hindus in the society. Cow's won't be slaughtered out of hate but for completing the Muslim duty of Eid ul Adha for the capable.

Since it is for charity, there is no reason why Muslims cannot slaughter other animals like hen, pigeon, fish, goat, sheep, camel or even bulls.....
                            They can be. Hen's are not used since I think it has to be a halaal mammal not a bird. Goat, sheep, camel and bulls can be used.

Camels and goats are expensive. Cows are what common folk use since many can all pitch in together and fullfill their duty. I don't see ANY governmental reason to ban this slaughter. If the cow was an endangered species then yes, for Hindu religious reasons it can't dictate terms under a secular constitution.

Comment

If it happens on people's private property the government should have no say to it.
                              So can I run a brothel in the midst of a sharif mohallah, afterall the vice is taking place within the four corners of my house....

Cow's won't be slaughtered out of hate but for completing the Muslim duty of Eid ul Adha for the capable.
                              My question is that why do something that is offensive to another community. There are many other animals to slaughter but if you insist on slaughtering a cow at the expense of offending another community then dont ***** if they retaliate likewise....

since I think it has to be a halaal mammal not a bird.
                              Well I am not a Muslim but based on logic I don't see why a hen can't substitute for other animals especially when it can be considered halal....

Cows are what common folk use since many can all pitch in together and fullfill their duty. I don't see ANY governmental reason to ban this slaughter. If the cow was an endangered species then yes, for Hindu religious reasons it can't dictate terms under a secular constitution.
                              Sorry I think we are going around in circles. Slaughtering cows is apparently offensive to some Hindus and secularism is accomodations the views of all communities and not pandering to the minorities wishes simply because of that. If the nation can compromise on certain things like having a separate Muslim Personal Law board, then why can't the Muslims do their part. Afterall there is margin for reformation even in Islam right....
                              Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Working...
                              X