No announcement yet.

China vs Russia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But they cant walk fast right? i heard they can swim really well, but in ground, they are like crocs, waiting to be killed by a potential hunter!
    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Colonel,
      So effectively what you are saying is though the NATO forces are equiped with high tech gizmos (that are networked), they do have the same advanced combat techniques that they can perform with out these gizmos, which perfectly makes sense!

Also neutralizing a network in war time is expected and so I think the forces are prepared for that eventuality too.
      A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
        Colonel,
        So effectively what you are saying is though the NATO forces are equiped with high tech gizmos (that are networked), they do have the same advanced combat techniques that they can perform with out these gizmos, which perfectly makes sense!

Also neutralizing a network in war time is expected and so I think the forces are prepared for that eventuality too.
        Not quite. We can tolerate several levels of expected collapse that would still enable the unit to function. A complete collapse is not expected - ie ALL the tanks and artillery stop working at the same time.

In the scenario you've described, just because bde HQ collapsed does not mean that battalion or company CPs would collapse. Thus, in case of bde level collapse, battalion and company would have standing orders to react with certain SOPs. In the case of battalion or company collapse but not brigade, then brigade would re-assign another battalion or company accordingly.

There are somethings that we would not expect and would have no counters to. Let's just say for some unexplicable reason that everyone everywhere lost electrical power - even batteries and that gunpowder would not ignite. That pretty well would force everyone back to sword and dagger to which we would suck pretty badly. However, the above scenario is so far fetched that we discount it all together.

Originally posted by Jay
        But they cant walk fast right? i heard they can swim really well, but in ground, they are like crocs, waiting to be killed by a potential hunter!
        I was in full sprint in getting away from the mother and no way can a 160lb man take on a 500lb seal and have a hope in hell.

Originally posted by Jay
        I also heard China has airbases in the ranges as well their missile silos. So I guess USA/NATO will have a definite action plan on this, right ?
        The airfield is actually outside the mountain but the hangers are dugged into the mountain. Thus, cratering those runways and killing their engineers would work.

As for those silos. Unless we have people on the ground, we can never be sure that we took them out and hence, the Chinese are banking on this uncertainty to prevent a nuclear strike.
        Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 20 Feb 04,, 03:13.

Comment

How effective would the soon to be produced "Bunker Busting" nukes be on a hardened ICBM silo?

Comment

I was in full sprint in getting away from the mother and no way can a 160lb man take on a 500lb seal and have a hope in hell.
            I always had this idea that seals were like big fat friendly dogs with flippers.
            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Talking of unusual food, in the InA we are trained to eat snakes after catching them live. I have also trained myself to eat raw meat. In fact, it is all the question of acquring a taste and overcoming revulsion.

There is a community [very poor and backward] which eats rats.

I believe in China, Korea and South East Asia, there are even more exotic foods that many may find difficult to eat.

Regarding COIN, the US I believe are coming over to train and also join an exercise. As it is they have done some High Altitude training in Ladakh (Eastern J&K).

The Russians have been denied training in COIN in India.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
                How effective would the soon to be produced "Bunker Busting" nukes be on a hardened ICBM silo?
                On any silo, it wouldn't be the "bunker busting" that would be needed but the guidance system. You don't need to go deep. The missile has to leave the silo after all and thus it cannot be deep.

Originally posted by Ironman
                I always had this idea that seals were like big fat friendly dogs with flippers.
                There are several spieces of seals. Some friendly. Some ain't. I wouldn't approach a leopard seal without a .30-06 and my sights zeroed at 500 yards.

Originally posted by Ray
                Talking of unusual food, in the InA we are trained to eat snakes after catching them live. I have also trained myself to eat raw meat. In fact, it is all the question of acquring a taste and overcoming revulsion.
                Is there any military survival course that doesn't include eating raw snake?

My problem with seal is the parasites I've seen when they were cleaning them.

Originally posted by Ray
                The Russians have been denied training in COIN in India.
                Really? Any specific reason, Sir?

Comment

The reason was that the training site had recieve US equipment and under an agreement with US, India cannot train others how to use those equipment without US permission. India asked US and US refused.

In my opinion, that agreement was very stupid on our part. No one will tell us who we cannot train and can train. We train whoever we damn please. I would rather get other equipment than US equipment than agree to that stupid provision.

However we are now stuck with that agreement. I fear that agreement will harm us in the long run.

Comment

Interesting topic that's due for an update. If China chose to reverse the "unequal" treaty that ceded Outer Manchuria to Russia, could Russia repel the resulting Chinese invasion?

Comment

The Russians are currently war gaming their Vostok exercise. The opponent in this exercise is China. Been that way up to 2014.

But these days things are differerent. China is jointly war gaming with them. They don't see China as an opponent in the eastern theatre any more it would seem.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                        The Russians are currently war gaming their Vostok exercise. The opponent in this exercise is China. Been that way up to 2014.

But these days things are differerent. China is jointly war gaming with them. They don't see China as an opponent in the eastern theatre any more it would seem.
                        I understand that there's a piece that's joint and a piece that's all-Russian, to which the Chinese aren't invited, although they'll be hoovering up both sigint and satellite intel. My impression is that Chinese territorial claims are deferred but never really dropped. I expect the Russians want to give the Chinese a reminder that while comprehensive national power calculations have flipped in favor of China, they still have enough conventional firepower to make a Chinese incursion very costly, whether against Outer Manchuria or Mongolia, which exists as an independent country only because it's a Russian protectorate.
                        Last edited by Mithridates; 14 Sep 18,, 01:21.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mithridates View Post
                            Interesting topic that's due for an update. If China chose to reverse the "unequal" treaty that ceded Outer Manchuria to Russia, could Russia repel the resulting Chinese invasion?
                            Now that has to be the record for a necropost.

What would China want with Outer Manchuria anyways? It's a lot cheaper to bribe, I mean, have someone run a bunch of land which has only marginal value to China.

Comment

Originally posted by Skywatcher View Post
                              What would China want with Outer Manchuria anyways? It's a lot cheaper to bribe, I mean, have someone run a bunch of land which has only marginal value to China.
                              Over the next generation or two China is going to buy up everyone who matters between Beijing & the Caspian Sea. Short of a spectacular crash China's economy is going to charge ahead. Russia's will rise & fall on oil prices & most of the spare cash will be required to buy off the populace & maintain the military. China won't necessarily challenge Russia openly, unless it has to. China will be happy enough to ally with Russia, as long as Russia understands who is in charge and doesn't kick up a fuss.

Nations like Mongolia know where their long term interests will lie.
                              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                                Over the next generation or two China is going to buy up everyone who matters between Beijing & the Caspian Sea. Short of a spectacular crash China's economy is going to charge ahead. Russia's will rise & fall on oil prices & most of the spare cash will be required to buy off the populace & maintain the military. China won't necessarily challenge Russia openly, unless it has to. China will be happy enough to ally with Russia, as long as Russia understands who is in charge and doesn't kick up a fuss.

Nations like Mongolia know where their long term interests will lie.
                                It's not about diverting attention from domestic problems or achieving material gain. It's about etching a more prominent place in the history books, and surpassing Mao and Deng as the pre-eminent ruler of the current Red dynasty and perhaps becoming the pre-eminent ruler of all time. Chinese rulers have typically launched large-scale campaigns at the peak of their dynasties' strength. During periods of weakness, they have turned turtle. The issue was similar to what the Romans ran into - commanders of military expeditions had a way of writing their own tickets. And defeats would lower the prestige of the dynasty and occasionally lead to armed challenges to their rule from among powerful domestic elites.
                                Last edited by Mithridates; 20 Sep 18,, 20:32.

Comment

Working...
                                X