Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Preposterious

Originally posted by Anvilanthony
    Russia has a population of a 140 million that continues to decline, China has a population that continues to increase despite already have 1.35 billion people.

In a "No Nuke" situation the chinese could simply kill the russians into submission, which is exactly what the russians did to the german population during WWII.

The russians couldn't win that's for sure, they can't even occupy all of their own country, let alone occupy china. China would never even get close to moscow though, no other country in the world would get the moscow without taking massive casualties besides the US. China's aim would probably just to conquer all of Northwest asia from the russians, that would be worth more than anything.
    Have you read the Colonel's posts?
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Re: Re: Preposterious

Originally posted by Ironman
      Have you read the Colonel's posts?
      *squints eyes*Where's the colonel?

I read all the posts and totally believe that even the russian military is still the largest in the world followed by china, that a war between the two nations will be a war of attrition.

Comment

Officer of Engineers.

Comment

Re: Preposterious

Originally posted by Anvilanthony
          Russia has a population of a 140 million that continues to decline, China has a population that continues to increase despite already have 1.35 billion people.

In a "No Nuke" situation the chinese could simply kill the russians into submission, which is exactly what the russians did to the german population during WWII.

The russians couldn't win that's for sure, they can't even occupy all of their own country, let alone occupy china. China would never even get close to moscow though, no other country in the world would get the moscow without taking massive casualties besides the US. China's aim would probably just to conquer all of Northwest asia from the russians, that would be worth more than anything.
          Common Mr. Anthony
          Even US will take heavy caualties. The russians have 32000 nucs and probably the largest land area + sea area in the world to scatter the nucs. US cannot stop those nucs with ABM's. Not because of the lack of technology, the sheer number itself. It wont take even 10 mins for a BM to reach US from russia and vice versa.

Now even if the russians and americans dont use nucs, still US may win but will face quite a bit of casualties. Russia is no Iraq. They got some real goodies. Your assumption is on the fact that US takes war onto russia. What if the russians take it into US soil. Remember they have good long range bombers, NUC subs and variety of airctafts + well disciplined soldiers. - funding is a big problem. Agreed.

Their military maneovers are no way the same as the americans. they mobilize differently, and their tactics are different from americans. + They have some of the best hackers in the world to hack and crack american security systems. Reverse is also true.
          __________________________________________________ ________
          US, India and Israel. Together we will defeat terrorism.
          I prefer communists to islamic terrorists, atleast I know where my enemy is!

Comment

Re: Re: Preposterious

Originally posted by sam0001
            Common Mr. Anthony
            Even US will take heavy caualties. The russians have 32000 nucs and probably the largest land area + sea area in the world to scatter the nucs. US cannot stop those nucs with ABM's. Not because of the lack of technology, the sheer number itself. It wont take even 10 mins for a BM to reach US from russia and vice versa.
            No, you're wrong. The PHYSICs say it would take 30 minutes.

Originally posted by sam0001
            Their military maneovers are no way the same as the americans. they mobilize differently, and their tactics are different from americans. + They have some of the best hackers in the world to hack and crack american security systems. Reverse is also true.
            Hackers means dick all. We expected our computers to fail NOT because of hackers but because of Soviet tanks overrunning our positions. In accordance, we've devised technique and technology to compensate.

There's no way in hell could hackers could EVER replace tanks in taking over our computers and thus, I believe our counter-measures are extremely secured.

Comment

Colonel,

Right you expect the computers to be overrun by tanks and those computers will be out. That's given. But have you given thought to how through the use of one computer, the hacker can compromise the entire network never mind the firewalls you have set up? I mean if they could figure out how to get past the firewalls, the whole network would be comprimised and it wouldnt matter if you tried to shut down some of the computers. You would have to shut down the entire network and do some serious rebooting. To me, that is essenitally the equivalent of a mission kill, not destroying the plane but forcing the pilot to dump all weapons, even the fuel tank and scram home, thus aborting the mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster
                Colonel,

Right you expect the computers to be overrun by tanks and those computers will be out. That's given. But have you given thought to how through the use of one computer, the hacker can compromise the entire network never mind the firewalls you have set up? I mean if they could figure out how to get past the firewalls, the whole network would be comprimised and it wouldnt matter if you tried to shut down some of the computers. You would have to shut down the entire network and do some serious rebooting. To me, that is essenitally the equivalent of a mission kill, not destroying the plane but forcing the pilot to dump all weapons, even the fuel tank and scram home, thus aborting the mission.
                Absolutely not. The situation that the PLA and those advovcating Asymetric Warfare is that a soft kill is more damaging than a hard kill.

Anyone who advocates that will have to prove it to me (ie, a soft kill can be more damaging than a hard kill).

Comment

Colonel,

You are immensely polite about Indian failures. It doesn't give me a chance to take you on.

I retire even though you maybe closer to the acutality.

1962 was an Indian army that was equipped and mentally attuned to fight WWII. Imagine fighting in High Altitudes in cotton clothes with archiac weapons as 303 Enflield Rifles, 3 inch Mortars and 25 pounders! And no acclimatisation! However, we have cme a long way ever since.

It was a sad part of our history but I am not ashamed of it. Thank Heavens it happened.

We are better off now.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

how can we prove it? I don't think that USAF Space Command will publish the failures of such networks or highlight the weaknesses.

Can you think of a scenario where we can prove it?

Comment

Colonel.

In my opinion nothing is failsafe. Who will win? Its like a football match. None knows, unless the referee has been bribed.

This scenario can never happen because it will be the end of the world.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster
                        how can we prove it? I don't think that USAF Space Command will publish the failures of such networks or highlight the weaknesses.

Can you think of a scenario where we can prove it?
                        3-7Cav. You couldn't get worst info/intel than that. 3ID was lost and late. 3-7Cav had no idea where the Medina was and got surrounded.

Yet, not one piece of info stopped the 3-7Cav from making mince meat out of the Medina.

Not only that, you have had the stupid CNN embeded reporter telling the Iraqis EXACTLY where the 3-7Cav was.

Can computer hackers do any better than the mess the 3-7Cav was in?

During the Cold War, it isn't a computer that was under threat, but the entire command post. The life expectency of a Command Post was 10 minutes. Thus, our counters were devised based upon the lost of that CP and not just a computer.

Originally posted by Ray
                        Colonel.

In my opinion nothing is failsafe. Who will win? Its like a football match. None knows, unless the referee has been bribed.

This scenario can never happen because it will be the end of the world.
                        Sir,

You're absolutely right. Until these systems meet the test of combat, it's all theoritical. However, my point is that what the PLA perceive as a vulnerability ain't new to us and our counters have been put into place a long time ago.

During the Cold War, it was rumoured that Hungarian hackers would get into our computer systems. Now, they have been replaced by the Chinese.

Originally posted by Ray
                        Colonel,

You are immensely polite about Indian failures. It doesn't give me a chance to take you on.

I retire even though you maybe closer to the acutality.

1962 was an Indian army that was equipped and mentally attuned to fight WWII. Imagine fighting in High Altitudes in cotton clothes with archiac weapons as 303 Enflield Rifles, 3 inch Mortars and 25 pounders! And no acclimatisation! However, we have cme a long way ever since.

It was a sad part of our history but I am not ashamed of it. Thank Heavens it happened.

We are better off now.
                        Sir,

I was not aware I was stating Indian failures, merely what was lacking in the InA. No army can do everything, not even the USArmy. The Swedes and the Swiss had over 300 years to build their forts and to devise their defences against alot of potential invaders - Germans, Russians, Poles. To expect India to do the same in less than 50 years is highly over-expecting.

Be that as it may, I would be most gratifying if you would share your insights anytime you feel that I may have erred.

The InA would no doubt have alot to teach, especially COIN expertise.

I would suspect that the InA would also have alot to learn from our Northern Ranger Battalion, especially on how to eat raw seal meat. If your people can do it, my hat is off to them. My stomache keep upchucking the raw blubber. The NRB is comprised mainly of Native Canadian Inuit people who has 27 different words for snow. Though I spent a year with theme, I can never tell the difference.

There's a story about the NRB. I could not remember which battalion from the 82nd Airborne Division. However, it was a two week training. Three to four days into the exercise, the Americans broke a ski on one of their tracks. It was a 4 day walk back to base and everyone was dreading it.

Two Rangers (a Regt Sgt Maj and a Master Warrant Officer, I think they were Inuit Elders) told the Airborne to sit still and enjoy the scenery. They took off in their skidoos and came back a day later with a whale bone that they carved into a ski. To this day, the 82nd Airborne kept the whalebone as an example of ingenuity and thinking outside the box.

Speaking of Inuit Elders, I saw a seal cleaning contest during their Annual Winter Festival. On average, it took everybody close to 10 minutes to clean and skin the seal. An Elder in his mid 80s took 30 seconds flat. It was a thing to see.

Comment

Colonel, would a seal let you come up and pet it?

Comment

A full grown seal? Only with a .30-06.

Seal pups only defence is stealth. Thus, you can approach with relative ease - that is if you see it in the 1st place. It is not recommended that you pet the animal. Mothers have been known to abandon pups with human scent.

Comment

So a seal will attack a human?

Comment

I've been chased by a mother seal when I got too close to a pup. Otherwise, they just want to avoid you, unless you corner it.

Comment

Working...
                                X